Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • quidsinquentin
    • By quidsinquentin 11th Feb 17, 11:20 PM
    • 40,078Posts
    • 81,963Thanks
    quidsinquentin
    Any recommendations for good bicycle insurance?
    • 11th Feb 17, 11:20 PM
    Any recommendations for good bicycle insurance? 11th Feb 17 at 11:20 PM
    Hi all.

I'm just looking through MSE for bicycle insurance for my son, and I thought I'd ask if anyone has any recommendations for any?

Haven't bought any since I was cycling (about 12 years ago now) so I've lost track of the good/bad etc.

Anyone got any recent good - or bad - experience to share?

The atmosphere is currently filled with hypocrisy so thick that it could be sliced, wrapped, and sold in supermarkets for a decent price and labeled, 'Wholegrain Left-Wing, Middle-Class, Politically-Correct Organic Hypocrisy'.
Page 1
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 11th Feb 17, 11:54 PM
    • 18,655 Posts
    • 15,580 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 11th Feb 17, 11:54 PM
    • 11th Feb 17, 11:54 PM
    One option could be an add-on to your household insurance.
    Check with your insurer.
    • brat
    • By brat 12th Feb 17, 12:25 AM
    • 2,455 Posts
    • 3,110 Thanks
    brat
    • 12th Feb 17, 12:25 AM
    • 12th Feb 17, 12:25 AM
    I've been with British Cycling for the last 5 years or so. Membership costs 37 per annum, and you get benefits like 10% off various cycling outlets. You also get liability insurance and legal support.

I used this for an accident in late 2015. I got an interim payment, physio and 80% of my claim, which was probably better than I'd have managed if I'd had to pursue a claim without their backing.

Reasonably happy with that, although it took quite some time for the claim to complete.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 12th Feb 17, 12:40 AM
    • 2,446 Posts
    • 1,625 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    • 12th Feb 17, 12:40 AM
    • 12th Feb 17, 12:40 AM
    I have my bikes insured on the house insurance as that was a good price, just make sure you're aware of any terms and conditions you have to meet for the insurance to be valid such as having a certain graded lock.

John
    • WLM21
    • By WLM21 12th Feb 17, 11:31 AM
    • 1,080 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    WLM21
    • 12th Feb 17, 11:31 AM
    • 12th Feb 17, 11:31 AM
    I can imagine there's probably some kind of minimum specification regarding locks, when leaving a bike unattended. No doubt the lock will be so heavy, it will nearly double the weight of that super lightweight road bike you have.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 12th Feb 17, 7:55 PM
    • 4,511 Posts
    • 2,662 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 12th Feb 17, 7:55 PM
    • 12th Feb 17, 7:55 PM
    I am with Cycleguard, not had a problem but never had to claim

I use them for theft cover as the "self insure" route would take me around 9 years of premiums not paid to cover the replacement costs if stolen

Leaving the bike unattended must always be done with a lock on their approved list (this will be the same with all insurers)

Recommend speaking to your home insurance though, if the bike is under 1000 (maybe more with some companies) then they'll probably do it. My gf owns our house and it's her house insurance, they will not cover a bike over 1000 so it's useless for me for my main bike.

Would second the value of British Cycling (or similar) membership, the legal cover alone is worth it in case of an accident where you need to sue and the personal liability covers any accidents where you were deemed at fault
    • elverson
    • By elverson 13th Feb 17, 11:10 AM
    • 784 Posts
    • 502 Thanks
    elverson
    • 13th Feb 17, 11:10 AM
    • 13th Feb 17, 11:10 AM
    ETA also do bike cover including "breakdown" cover to get you home or to a railway station.
    • burnsguitarman
    • By burnsguitarman 13th Feb 17, 11:30 AM
    • 718 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    burnsguitarman
    • 13th Feb 17, 11:30 AM
    • 13th Feb 17, 11:30 AM
    We've just (last night) insured a new ebike through our house insurance Aviva.
    In this instance it was much cheaper than a purpose written cycle policy. The lock stipulation is not as stringent, also the price was only based on the most expensive cycle, not the collective price of every bicycle. These are also covered away from home under personal possessions.
    • quidsinquentin
    • By quidsinquentin 14th Feb 17, 1:31 PM
    • 40,078 Posts
    • 81,963 Thanks
    quidsinquentin
    • 14th Feb 17, 1:31 PM
    • 14th Feb 17, 1:31 PM
    Cheers all, that's been brilliant. Will pass all the recommendations on straight away.

He's already had his first fall hitting some ice too.
    The atmosphere is currently filled with hypocrisy so thick that it could be sliced, wrapped, and sold in supermarkets for a decent price and labeled, 'Wholegrain Left-Wing, Middle-Class, Politically-Correct Organic Hypocrisy'.
    • Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 13th Apr 18, 7:11 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    I've been with British Cycling for the last 5 years or so. Membership costs 37 per annum, and you get benefits like 10% off various cycling outlets. You also get liability insurance and legal support.

I used this for an accident in late 2015. I got an interim payment, physio and 80% of my claim, which was probably better than I'd have managed if I'd had to pursue a claim without their backing.

Reasonably happy with that, although it took quite some time for the claim to complete.
    Originally posted by brat
    Hi - I am wondering if by any chance you might be able to advise on insurance cost? It appears I can't get a quote as it is within members-only area. :-(
    • Xbigman
    • By Xbigman 13th Apr 18, 9:53 PM
    • 3,095 Posts
    • 1,339 Thanks
    Xbigman
    We've just (last night) insured a new ebike through our house insurance Aviva.
    In this instance it was much cheaper than a purpose written cycle policy. The lock stipulation is not as stringent, also the price was only based on the most expensive cycle, not the collective price of every bicycle. These are also covered away from home under personal possessions.
    Originally posted by burnsguitarman
    Please check that an Ebike is included. I was going to put my Ebike on my Tesco home insurance but buried in the T&C's is the restriction that bikes with 'mechanical assistance' are not covered. That includes Ebikes.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 14th Apr 18, 10:06 AM
    • 4,511 Posts
    • 2,662 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Hi - I am wondering if by any chance you might be able to advise on insurance cost? It appears I can't get a quote as it is within members-only area. :-(
    Originally posted by Emily Joy
    Most of not all the major bike insurers will give you a quote on their website, unless they changed it recently, BC use Cycleguard so just go direct
    • Techno_Mystic
    • By Techno_Mystic 14th Apr 18, 1:39 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Techno_Mystic
    I was going to put my Ebike on my Tesco home insurance
    Originally posted by Xbigman
    I had my (conventional) bike on a Tesco Home Insurance policy as well. But I removed it when I took out a new policy around the third year of ownership as it is not worth enough to insure it beyond that. It probably depends on how much the bike is worth. Evans Cycles will only pay out the full amount for the first three years. After that they deduct depreciation, so you have to balance that with the cost of the premiums over several years. It might be better to save the money up instead.
    • Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 20th Apr 18, 6:39 AM
    • 105 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    I am actually wondering if there is a possibility to get a bicycle insurance on a packaged bank account instead of AA as I don't drive :-)

Another question is how the insurance amount is calculated? If I get a bike which is broken and repair/rebuild it myself would the insurance cover me? If yes, how the insurance is calculated?
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 20th Apr 18, 10:48 AM
    • 4,511 Posts
    • 2,662 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    I am actually wondering if there is a possibility to get a bicycle insurance on a packaged bank account instead of AA as I don't drive :-)

Another question is how the insurance amount is calculated? If I get a bike which is broken and repair/rebuild it myself would the insurance cover me? If yes, how the insurance is calculated?
    Originally posted by Emily Joy
    Home insurance is your best bet, I don't know any banks that offer bike insurance.

Insurance firms vary but some do a like for like new bike in the event of a write off for say the first 3 years, then a reduced amount. Some will cover the full value for a longer period. You have to declare the value of the replacement you need e.g. I had my bike insured for 1850 (buy price), then upped it to about 2500 after I got new wheels and then a new groupset as that would be the cost of replacing it with a like for like spec.
    • elverson
    • By elverson 20th Apr 18, 1:20 PM
    • 784 Posts
    • 502 Thanks
    elverson
    I read elsewhere that Tesco count the wheels as "accessories" :/ and thus the cover is limited so check the small print...
    • Techno_Mystic
    • By Techno_Mystic 26th Apr 18, 12:08 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Techno_Mystic
    I read elsewhere that Tesco count the wheels as "accessories" :/ and thus the cover is limited so check the small print...
    Originally posted by elverson
    I can see where they're coming from with quick release wheels. Easy to remove in a jiffy if you don't lock your bike up quite right...

My hybrid commuter bike has them despite there being no need for them at all, and it's actually a nuisance sometimes. I suppose the manufacturers build them in the same factory as racing bikes so it saves on labour and tooling if they all have the same fitting.
    Last edited by Techno_Mystic; 26-04-2018 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Typo
    • elverson
    • By elverson 26th Apr 18, 1:25 PM
    • 784 Posts
    • 502 Thanks
    elverson
    But if you get a puncture on the commute would you rather have QR or not?
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 26th Apr 18, 2:58 PM
    • 4,511 Posts
    • 2,662 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    I can see where they're coming from with quick release wheels. Easy to remove in a jiffy if you don't lock your bike up quite right...

My hybrid commuter bike has them despite there being no need for them at all, and it's actually a nuisance sometimes. I suppose the manufacturers build them in the same factory as racing bikes so it saves on labour and tooling if they all have the same fitting.
    Originally posted by Techno_Mystic
    QR and change tube in a couple of minutes or carry spanners around with you for a bolt axle, hmm

For what it's worth you can get locking QR leavers e.g. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kryptonite-security-wheelboltz/
    • Techno_Mystic
    • By Techno_Mystic 26th Apr 18, 5:56 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Techno_Mystic
    But if you get a puncture on the commute would you rather have QR or not?
    Originally posted by elverson
    Am I in a race when I am commuting? Answer: no. So what's the benefit except making it easier for thieves to steal them?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,738Posts Today

7,905Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin