Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    income tax and having two jobs.
    • #1
    • 21st Sep 07, 1:14 PM
    income tax and having two jobs. 21st Sep 07 at 1:14 PM
    I have worked in a part time permanent position for the last few years (while I've been a student) and my tax code is 522L. Happy that my tax and NI deductions have been correct.

    In Sept 2007 I started a new full time job, earning better money and my tax code has been put as BR/1.

    My new employer has not asked for a P45 or for me to complete any other tax forms - indeed I won't have a P45 'cos I'm not giving up the other job.

    So I'm currently working two jobs and having tax/NI deductions in both.
    Is this acceptable? I am assuming that at the end of the tax year I will be able to sort of any under/overpayments of tax by completing a tax return? I have no experience of tax returns etc and just wanted to check that sounds okay before I get into any trouble lol. Should I do anything now?

    I would welcome any thoughts. Thanks
Page 1
  • monkeymax
    • #2
    • 21st Sep 07, 1:18 PM
    • #2
    • 21st Sep 07, 1:18 PM
    if you wish to have the beneift of your allowances at your full time job you will need to complete form P46. This will tell your tax office that this is your main job. You part time job will then be taxed at Basic rate. However if you are earning over your Personal allowance and lower rate band in your part time job there is little reason to transfer your allowances. Your employer should hold copies of P46 and will need to be given back to them to complete their part and send on to their tax office
    Barclays - Reclaiming - 3380 - stayed 30/08/07 - 2261 goodwill 20/02/09
    Abbey - Reclaiming 250 - 1st letter - stayed
    MBNA - Reclaiming 400 - received 294
    Morgan Stanley - Reclaiming 138 - received 120
    MINT - reclaiming 110 - received 90
    A&L - 170 charges - 170 back!
    • jem16
    • By jem16 21st Sep 07, 1:20 PM
    • 18,592 Posts
    • 11,418 Thanks
    • #3
    • 21st Sep 07, 1:20 PM
    • #3
    • 21st Sep 07, 1:20 PM
    What has happened is correct.

    If your part time job earns less than 7445 ( personal allowance of 5225 plus 2230 10% band ) it may be worth asking HMRC to apply your main tax code of 522L to your new full time job as you won't be using all your allowances. If more than that it does not matter.

    NI will be paid in both jobs if you are earning enough.

    You are unlikely to need to complete a tax return. If you feel you are owed a rebate you just need to complete form R40 to get it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

102Posts Today

1,527Users online

Martin's Twitter