Mortgage in one person's name, deeds in both names?

Afternoon,

So me and my Gf are thinking of buying two properties.

1 house for us to live in and another flat for a investment.

Questions:

1. Is it possible to get a mortgage each, but have both our names on the deeds of each property?

So she would apply for one mortgage on her own and I would also apply for my own? Thus saving additional stamp duty?

2. Is it possible to have such a legal arrangement / document that we put state how much deposit one put in, which they will get back on the sale of the house, and then the equity is 50/50

So as an example, my Gf get's the mortgage for the house, she puts in 100k deposit.

So upon the sale of the house she gets her 150k, and then after that we split it 50/50

and vice versa for the flat, I get my deposit back and we then split the equity.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Craig660 wrote: »
    1. Is it possible to get a mortgage each, but have both our names on the deeds of each property?

So she would apply for one mortgage on her own and I would also apply for my own? Thus saving additional stamp duty?
    Stamp duty is nothing to do with mortgages - if you mean both properties will be owned in joint names then you'll be liable for the additional rate of stamp duty on the second property.
  • discat11
    discat11 Posts: 527 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    If any property is going to be jointly owned then both owners will be jointly liable on the mortgage too afaik.
  • Craig660
    Craig660 Posts: 65 Forumite
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Stamp duty is nothing to do with mortgages - if you mean both properties will be owned in joint names then you'll be liable for the additional rate of stamp duty on the second property.

ok, understood.

So, would it be possible to get an agreement on the properties with deposits, equity split.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure