Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    dutchconnection
    0 WOW
    Disability freebies???
    • 17th Sep 07, 4:13 PM
    0 WOW
    Disability freebies??? 17th Sep 07 at 4:13 PM
    Hi all sorry if this isn't in the right place but I'm sure some one will let me know if it isn't.

I am helping the local council's Childrens disability register, who release a monthly news letter, with compiling a list of freebies and fun stuff for people with kids who have any kind of disabilty. We already have used the link to the free pontins holiday's to get about 15 families with special needs kids a week away.
    A while back some one had compiled a list with all sorts such as; days out, BT free directory enquirey, Cinema discounts, Carer discounts, rail discounts and more, if any one knows where the list went, that would be great.

Thanks in advanced.
Page 1
    • isualive
    • By isualive 17th Sep 07, 4:55 PM
    • 6,761 Posts
    • 4,731 Thanks
    isualive
    • 17th Sep 07, 4:55 PM
    • 17th Sep 07, 4:55 PM
    Carer goes free into the Eden Project!
    1/2 price entry to Longleat.
    1/2 price entry to Newquay zoo.

My son has special needs and attends a special school! There needs to be a list of discounts etc but I haven't come across one yet!
    Last edited by isualive; 17-09-2007 at 4:57 PM.
    Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. ~ Mother Teresa
    • Happy shopper
    • By Happy shopper 17th Sep 07, 5:52 PM
    • 6,460 Posts
    • 15,151 Thanks
    Happy shopper
    • 17th Sep 07, 5:52 PM
    • 17th Sep 07, 5:52 PM
    I think it used to be on www.bbc.co.uk/ouch but I can't find it now. Maybe email them and ask if they have it in their archives?
    • isualive
    • By isualive 17th Sep 07, 6:21 PM
    • 6,761 Posts
    • 4,731 Thanks
    isualive
    • 17th Sep 07, 6:21 PM
    • 17th Sep 07, 6:21 PM
    Thanks for the link, it looks good!
    Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. ~ Mother Teresa
    • tilly's_mum
    • By tilly's_mum 17th Sep 07, 8:04 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    tilly's_mum
    • 17th Sep 07, 8:04 PM
    • 17th Sep 07, 8:04 PM
    Free Cinema entry for Carer:

The Cinema Exhibitors' Association Card entitles the holder to one free ticket for a person accompanying them to the cinema. The card is valid for three years from the issue date and costs 5. To apply for the card a person must meet one (or more) of the following criteria.
    a) Be in receipt of disability living allowance or b) Be a registered blind person
    www.ceacard.co.uk
  • Quackers
    • 17th Sep 07, 8:19 PM
    • 17th Sep 07, 8:19 PM
    there's this really old thread for 'moneysaving for carers' which may be helful

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=152

or have a look here

www.yourable.com

or this thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=461014&highlight=free+for+disabl ed

There was a thread that did list everything - I'm sure there was. I just cant find it
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • Nobleck
    • 17th Sep 07, 8:31 PM
    • 17th Sep 07, 8:31 PM
    Free Cinema entry for Carer:

The Cinema Exhibitors' Association Card entitles the holder to one free ticket for a person accompanying them to the cinema. The card is valid for three years from the issue date and costs 5. To apply for the card a person must meet one (or more) of the following criteria.
    a) Be in receipt of disability living allowance or b) Be a registered blind person
    www.ceacard.co.uk
    Originally posted by tilly's_mum
    I sent all the relevant information they wanted and the money and never heard anything from them. I wandered if they where still operational.
    • tilly's_mum
    • By tilly's_mum 17th Sep 07, 8:43 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    tilly's_mum
    • 17th Sep 07, 8:43 PM
    • 17th Sep 07, 8:43 PM
    My friend got a cinema card about 6 months ago for her son so I think the scheme is still running. There is no date on the website that I could see. The number for enquiries is Tel: 0845 123 1292
    • maiden_scotland
    • By maiden_scotland 17th Sep 07, 9:25 PM
    • 674 Posts
    • 3,764 Thanks
    maiden_scotland
    • 17th Sep 07, 9:25 PM
    • 17th Sep 07, 9:25 PM
    I sent all the relevant information they wanted and the money and never heard anything from them. I wandered if they where still operational.
    Originally posted by Nobleck
    I got this for my son about a year ago, might be worth chasing up :confused:
    • maiden_scotland
    • By maiden_scotland 17th Sep 07, 9:28 PM
    • 674 Posts
    • 3,764 Thanks
    maiden_scotland
    if in Scotland disabled children & adults can claim a free travel bus card, which can be used anywhere in Scotland ( includes long coach trips )
    my son's pass also allows a carer to gain free travel when traveling with him.

http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/defaultpage1221cde0.aspx?pageID=40
    Last edited by maiden_scotland; 17-09-2007 at 9:31 PM.
  • Narva
    blue badge holders can go over the seven bridge free
    • NOSONDDU
    • By NOSONDDU 17th Sep 07, 10:13 PM
    • 13,656 Posts
    • 430,836 Thanks
    NOSONDDU
    In Wales you can get a free bus pass, whatever your age, if you are registered disabled. You can apply to BT for free emergency repair so they'll repair your line as a priority. If you have a car you can register with the RAC as blue badge holders get a special reduced rate for their top membership and you'll take priority if you break down. I know a family with a disabled child who get this and free road tax for the main family car.
  • workingmum
    duxford gives free entry for disabled child/person and carers go free. paignton soon give discount and carers get in free. kids play group give discount but you have to ask (well i did got it half price and my other children got in at discount). River dale country park in devon let disabled in cheap too. I just ask before i go to places you'll find most will do things cheaper or free.
    • Poppy9
    • By Poppy9 17th Sep 07, 10:47 PM
    • 17,988 Posts
    • 22,279 Thanks
    Poppy9
    blue badge holders can go over the seven bridge free
    Originally posted by Narva
    but we don't let them back into Wales

For the bus pass in Wales you do not need to be registered disabled it's enough to have been refused a driving licence on medical grounds.

My friend who has epilepsy refuses to register as disabled but was turned down for a bus pass based on her illness alone. They told her to apply for a driving licence, declare her condtion etc and when she had a letter refusing her then she could claim the free bus pass. She also has a 'disabled' train pass which gives one free entry to the cinema.
    ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~
    • maiden_scotland
    • By maiden_scotland 17th Sep 07, 11:21 PM
    • 674 Posts
    • 3,764 Thanks
    maiden_scotland
    just remembered, when I went to Alton Towers last year I took along the letter of award for DLA to the reception hut and was given bands ( 5 carers per registered disabled person ) to allow us to enter rides via the exit so's not having to wait in Q's
    • novelli
    • By novelli 17th Sep 07, 11:54 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    novelli
    cinema tkts
    Most cinemas let you have a carers for free if accompanying a disabled child/adult. U just need to go in with proof (DLA award/blue badge) and they fill a form in for you and you get a card.

Always ask at zoos and places like that, as most let carers go in for free or at least discounted.
  • tottie666
    i have learned to ask for disabled rates where ever i go now and am surprised by how many places give free admission to a carer - chester zoo did last year, which saved alot of money, i would always ask..

the cea card is brilliant.
  • Tha Business
    All National Heritage Sites Are Free For Disabled People.
    Need A Freebie? - Meet 'Tha Business'

I Made A Helpful Post?..
    Click The Thanks Button

"Tha Business Is More Fun Than Naked Twister" - Anonymous
  • miller123
    Free carer
    Lightwater valley and Knowslege saffari park give 1 free carer per disabled guest.
    • rls1973
    • By rls1973 21st Sep 07, 2:01 PM
    • 768 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    rls1973
    Originally posted by Nobleck

hiya, yes we've got one of these for dd1, it's brilliant, it cost about 5 admin fee but this obviously pays for itself on the first visit.

always ask at the place you are visiting, even if they dont have a sign up about it, they will usually give you some discount.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

171Posts Today

1,937Users online

Martin's Twitter