Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • q-blu79
    • By q-blu79 11th Oct 16, 8:06 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    going bankrupt (hmrc, po box, stepchange)
    • #1
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:06 PM
    going bankrupt (hmrc, po box, stepchange) 11th Oct 16 at 8:06 PM
    As title says..... I am under doctor for depression, trying to sort my life out, for various reasons its gone totally upside down..... I have no fixed address, staying with friends and family..... I need advice on how to set up a po box so I can at least get correspondence..... and also how I can put the hmrc in a bankruptcy when I have no idea what I owe them..... if anything? they have not had tax returns off me, my oldbusiness owes a load of debt..... first step is a po box that I can deal with anyone use one they can recommend for the purpose I need one for..... I am now a full time student, I have a family and children who once I sort myself out and I am debt free and getting somewhere in life will be there for me, my mum and sister are helping me out, and will pay for the bankruptcy and any associated costs of po box etc.....
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 11th Oct 16, 8:36 PM
    • 31,596 Posts
    • 19,939 Thanks
    • #2
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:36 PM
    • #2
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:36 PM
    Royal mail do a PO Box, use google for other services.

    Might not be an PO Box from RM but they do a service wheee you can pick up your post from the delivery office.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • NotEvanAPot
    • By NotEvanAPot 12th Oct 16, 7:11 AM
    • 216 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    • #3
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:11 AM
    • #3
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:11 AM
    You cannot use a PO box for legal correspondence. You must use the address at which you reside on the date of application, along with supplying addresses you have previously resided at.

    The insolvency service will also need updating of any change of address post BR. Mine was updated on the insolvency service website when I moved 2 months after BR, with the former address then listed below with other previous addresses.

    If you have amounts owing to HMRC, just list them as a creditor on application with an arbitrary amount. The OR will liaise with them once BR granted to confirm amounts. This is exactly the same for any creditor with which you do not know the exact amount, in the same way that any undeclared creditor not listed is automatically included if it is for a qualifying debt. Speak with StepChange or NDL (or BDL if purely company debt you are personally liable for) for advice, they are there to assist and are in no way going to judge any circumstances you find yourself in.
  • National Debtline
    • #4
    • 14th Oct 16, 12:25 PM
    • #4
    • 14th Oct 16, 12:25 PM
    Hi q-blu79,

    If you used to have a business and haven't done all of your tax returns, you should do them before going bankrupt. Even though the tax would be written off in the bankruptcy, if you haven't filed all of the returns you can still get penalties for this, and these may fall outside of the bankruptcy.

    If you are looking for a clean slate, then do the tax returns first, make sure you have wound up the business (if it was limited) or de-registered as self employed (if you were a sole trader). Otherwise the HMRC can still expect returns every year, even if they list everything at 0, and failure to do this can result in more penalties. You may want to speak to Business Debtline about this in more detail.

    I am not sure if the Official Receiver in bankruptcy would use a PO Box address, normally they would like a 'Care Of' address, but you can call your local court and check this.

    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

762Posts Today

5,731Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin