Generic painkillers gone from Supermarkets

Hi
I have been searching the various supermarkets for the painkillers I used to buy but every supermarket I have tried no longer sells them. They were the equivalent to Anadin and each Supermarket chain used to sell them under their own name at a much cheaper price. They have gone! Did I miss something in the news as to why they were withdrawn?

Thanks

Dee

Comments

• jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Generally speaking this time of year all the generic brands of all lines in supermarkets are withdrawn from the shelves. This is to make room for seasonal and Christmas stock. They come back during the early part of the next year but irritatingly the supermakets will always take away that which gets them the smallest profit if they need the space.

Boots, Superdrug and pharmacists should still have the generic versions of medicines in. It's when they take away the value/economy food types that it really becomes annoying!
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Our local Aldi had ibuprofen and paracetamol last week, by the checkouts.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    our local chemist does them cheaply ,you can get boxes of 100 or more if you so wish
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • helcat26
    helcat26 Posts: 1,119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    There are 3 types of anadin
    paracetamol based
    ibuprofen based
    aspirin based

all 3 generics -paracetamol, ibuprofen and aspirin were available in tescos this am.
  • bsms1147
    bsms1147 Posts: 2,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    There was a discussion here previously, seems they go in and out of stock, perhaps for the reasons above

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=69599304
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Because of bleeding stomach ulcers I am only allowed paracetamol based ones, usually Sainsburys Plus at 55p for 16. The shelves are empty all other branded ones are in stock. Went to local Co.op and they have their version so bought them.
  • Thank you all for giving your time to reply. Just find it soooo annoying!! I do object to paying 4 x the price for the same medicine!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure