Do prescriptions expire?

Options
Hi all, does anyone know if there's a time limit on when you have to fill a prescription? It's a hospital (white) one if it makes a difference.
Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yes.
    For the controlled items, 28 days (like morphine, methadone & others you have to show ID for) otherwise 6 months.

Green or white shouldn't make much of a difference, but hospital pharmacies carry more of the controlled stuff as standard as they deliver to the wards.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Thank-you.

It's an amber drug (Hydroxychloroquine) and not on that list so it should be OK to keep the prescription for a few months.
  • DigForVictory
    Options
    Just hoping you don't need to test Google the hard way...
    All the best!
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    Thank-you.

It's an amber drug (Hydroxychloroquine) and not on that list so it should be OK to keep the prescription for a few months.

Speak to a pharmacist - they are the only ones who will be able to give you a definitive answer. Is there a reason you aren't fulfilling the prescription?
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Yes. Last time I was on it it sent me into a major depressive episode. I've recently experienced my early warning signs that I'm getting depressed and my rheumatologist gave me the prescription and said to start it when I'm stable. That could be months away so I'd rather wait and fill the prescription in a few months than get the tablets now and have them go past their use by date before I'm able to take them. Although I'm not sure it's worth the risk taking them anyway.

Dig for Victory - sorry for wasting your time.
  • DigForVictory
    Options
    Ames, I wouldn't have bothered if I wasn't curious & it's useful info to know & share - so it's *not* wasting time (and apparently at least 284 people have seen it!)

Hoping the early warning symptoms fade back to normal (for your preferred value thereof) & that you can fill & get the benefit of the prescription. Very glad your medics know it's a not going to be taken at once issue & why - communication will really helps all players.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure