Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • w00519772
    • By w00519772 9th Oct 16, 9:36 PM
    • 1,191Posts
    • 213Thanks
    Indecisive when presented with an opportunity
    • #1
    • 9th Oct 16, 9:36 PM
    Indecisive when presented with an opportunity 9th Oct 16 at 9:36 PM
    I was offered another job in August. I originally accepted the job and handed in my notice. I was in week three, day two (of four weeks) of my notice period and I changed my mind and retracted the acceptance and accepted a counter offer from my current employer. I explained that I received a counter offer to the new employer (the counter offer was made in the very early stages i.e. before I accepted the offer from the new company).

    I then called the new employer back the following week and said that I had changed my mind again and explained that the retraction was more to do with "cold feet" (which is true). The hiring manager told me that someone else had accepted the offer a few days ago. I asked if I had burnt my bridges and she said that it is difficult to find the "right" people and that I was a very credible candidate and encouraged me to apply if something else comes up again with the company. It appears that we departed on good terms.

    I am wandering if we did depart on good terms or whether she was just being nice!? She did add me to her LinkedIn network after I turned down the opportunity.

    I was contacted by another recruiter recently on LinkedIn. The same job has come up with a competitor. I have two options:

    1) Wait for something to come up at company A in the future. Company A (my number 1 company!) offered me the role. I would rather work for company A.
    2) Apply to company B (my number 2 company!). Company B is a competitor of company A.

    In my defence; moving jobs is stressful. My decision making processes are usually structured (I weighed up all the pros and cons and made the right decision initially). I now know that I have to be able to recognise cold feet and differentiate it from second thoughts.

    Has anyone ever accepted a senior job, then retracted the acceptance and then ended up working at the company in the future? How far in the future?
    Last edited by w00519772; 09-10-2016 at 9:54 PM.
Page 1
    • Wyndham
    • By Wyndham 10th Oct 16, 11:09 AM
    • 2,014 Posts
    • 2,309 Thanks
    • #2
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:09 AM
    • #2
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:09 AM
    I don't think anyone can answer the question for you.

    If you were dealing with me, I'd maybe have a few concerns about making you another offer, but you just don't know if the company in question feels the same way.

    And company A may not have any opportunities for quite some time, especially as they have just filled a vacancy you would be suitable for.
    • w00519772
    • By w00519772 10th Oct 16, 12:29 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    • #3
    • 10th Oct 16, 12:29 PM
    • #3
    • 10th Oct 16, 12:29 PM
    Thanks. I was just really wandering if anyone else has done this before.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,625Posts Today

6,795Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin