Stoveworld woodburners

Options
Madahlia
Madahlia Posts: 5 Forumite
edited 26 September 2016 at 8:02PM in Green & ethical MoneySaving
I'm currently trying to choose a woodburner or multifuel stove and shocked by the exorbitant cost of every aspect of the purchase. So I'm very attracted by the value for money that the Stoveworld site seems to be offering. Sorry I can't post a link - I'm new!

Choosing one of these would save me around £500 as the favoured brand - Clearview - costs more than double a similar Stoveworld model. However, everyone seems to say you get what you pay for.

The Stoveworld site is very convincing, however, it has good specs and guarantees (though perhaps not quite as good as Clearview, but just as good as lots of much more expensive stoves).

I can't find out much about them on the net. Has anyone got any comments? Even better, has anyone got an Ottawa or a Curve 5kw stove from them?

Comments

• Exiled_Tyke
    Options
    I don't know of these specific brands. However I had a stove fitted just a couple of weeks ago and I was chatting to the fitter who was firmly of the view that you get what you pay for. He told me that with the cheaper stoves the build quality is not there and that they simply won't last as long. He also suggested that poor designs can be inefficient, and potentially cause problems with exhaust leaving residues in the chimney and leaking fumes into the living space.

I think I would research throughly before deciding on a less than premium brand and certainly talk to some reputable installers.
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • Alan_Brown
    Options
    Please do your neighbours a favour and at least fit a DEFRA approved stove. We've had a few neighbours fit stoves and you can really feel it on our chest in the colder months when they all get lit.

Burning wood is a huge polluter and can have a really detrimental impact on health. If people have mains gas, then they shouldn't fit a wood burner. If they are on oil and want to save money then they should at least fit a DEFRA stove.
  • Madahlia
    Options
    Thanks, Alan, naturally I was going to fit a DEFRA approved stove as I live in a town.

I have tried to research thoroughly but money is tight and I want to know why I should pay double for a stove that seems to have identical specs to one that is half the price. Clearly, if the specs are poorer it's obvious why it's cheap! There are many, many options, it is tedious trying to sift through.

I also would like to know more about this specific brand, Stoveworld.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a "cheap" Chinese stove, the tiger+. It gets good reviews, I find it easy to control and have it lit as my main scource of heating from September to April

We have had to replace the fire rope and one fire brick - in 7 years. The grate is now beginning to show wear and will need replacing in a year or two.

These things are consumerables and are expected to be replaced. This is what you need to check, how easy is it to get spares

Not all Chinese stoves are brilliant that's true. However ours has never given us cause for concern
  • Madahlia
    Options
    Thanks, Suki. My sister has a Tiger and is also happy with it after a couple of years. Good to know yours has lasted 7 years!
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My advice would be go for a second hand quality stove over a new cheap one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure