PAYE Coding Notice

Hello
I am completing my 2015-16 tax return and there is a section asking about my PAYE Coding Notice. I don't remember receiving this. How can I request it? How much will it affect me if I don't have it?

Thanks

Comments

• Not everyone receives a coding notice.

Where you on the standard tax code last year?
  • the tax code was an L code ( is that what you mean by standard code?) and my final code on p60 for that period was L.

This is the second time I have had to complete a tax return. Last year I paid an accountant to do it but decided to do it myself last year

This is the text on the SA form

Our records show that your 2015 to 2016 PAYE Notice of Coding includes an adjustment for tax underpaid. Please complete the following question(s).

Underpaid tax for earlier years included in your tax code for 2015-16 (from your PAYE Notice of Coding). Please enter '0' if there is nothing shown::
    If this figure is not correct, select 'No' and you will be given a chance to amend it below.*
  • The standard code last year was 1060L. If yours was different to this then I believe you should have received a coding notice.

You can call HMRC and ask them.
  • liviboy
    liviboy Posts: 544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    On my online HMRC account I have a link to PAYE Coding Notices and it gives me my coding notices issued since I registered for SA in PDF format. Saves phoning HMRC and waiting for the letter to arrive.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    The standard code last year was 1060L. If yours was different to this then I believe you should have received a coding notice.

Yes and no. A coding notice will have been issued at some point, but it wouldn't necessarily have to have been in the 2015-16 tax year, it could have been in a previous year if there had been no subsequent change to whatever caused the initial notice to be issued (I'm sure you know that but just spelling it out to the OP who may not).
  • jeffkey1
    jeffkey1 Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    More detailed instructions to find your PAYE Coding notices.

Sign in to your .gov.uk Tax account.

Go to "Self Assessment"

Go to "More Self Assessment Details"

On the menu on the left open "View PAYE coding notices"

Select year etc.....

Hope this helps.
  • jeffkey1's method only works if you submit self-assessment forms online, If you don't have to fill in a tax form, then the link above won't show you anything. Graham (still looking...)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure