Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 18th Jun 16, 8:46 PM
    • 2,061Posts
    • 12,824Thanks
    supersaver1000
    From Blobby to Gobby
    • 18th Jun 16, 8:46 PM
    From Blobby to Gobby 18th Jun 16 at 8:46 PM
    Been off the forums awhile and popped in today to find that everyone is just as enthusiastic and doing lots of interesting and creative things.

Lots of good things have happened and we have also gotten through a few tough emotional times, thank goodness.

Meanwhile I have become a bit blobby - about 2 stone - and while we are more comfortable, we are not out of the woods yet and I feel like we need another push. My new job, while I love it in many ways, leaves me feeling pushed about by a very senior colleague and his sideswipe, so I need to get more Gobby and less blobby, starting Monday!

This is my new journey to stop hiding my light under a bushel, stop being pushed around and start speaking before I think instead of continually biting my tongue.

Wish me luck!

ps and to lose that weight too - meaner (only to those that deserve it) and leaner!

Last edited by supersaver1000; 18-06-2016 at 8:50 PM. Reason: Additions
    CCs (32% paid) - target Feb2019 Xmas 2018 : Returner Flylady : Grocery club member
    It's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got
    (being satisfied with your lot and making the most of it)
Page 2
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 25th Feb 18, 1:10 PM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 12,824 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    February payment to the sainsbugs card made so, totals are now: 7827.06 less 500 saved in the newly opened Sainsbugs Extra account (0.7% interest). I've just transferred another 1010 from our emergency fund so the cards, less the amount saved towards payments at end of 0% period is: 6317.06.

Aim is to get this down to 2000 maximum by November although it would be nice to be able to pay the whole lot off by then. Big ask but exciting

Had an Asd@ delivery over the weekend and a trip to @ldee. The cupboards are stuffed but still need a small spend today - probably at the c0-0p to take advantage of my 10% discount and there is 5% cash back on my H@lifax card if I spend over 5, plus the c0-0p cash back.

Good feeling to get the cupboards full for so much less.
    Last edited by supersaver1000; 25-02-2018 at 1:14 PM. Reason: changes
    CCs (32% paid) - target Feb2019 Xmas 2018 : Returner Flylady : Grocery club member
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 26th Feb 18, 6:38 AM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 12,824 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    So, woken up early by Master Kitty and decided to take a trip down the memory lane of my old thread.

Goodness what a state I was in, and how grateful I was and still am for everyone on MSE who supported me and helped me to where I am today.

For one thing, I have a really secure, friendly and interesting job. I've been applying for jobs with better pay - part of the reason is to get me past the paypoint of my nightmare job and I think part of that is to prove to others I am capable but I just chose the wrong job when I took on nightmare job. I have applied for a couple of jobs that involve travel and quite a bit of time spent working away in hotels, but have come to the realisation that I'm actually really happy with my lot right now so am going to withdraw from the interview process. I also don't need to prove to others it was the nightmare job that was the problem not me, I know that it was and have realised that over the last few years. Part of me didn't want to withdraw from these interviews in case I was just taking the easy road, but I can see that travelling away all the time is just not right for me, and spending time at home with my OH and DD, plus doing all the things I wanted to do in my old thread just wouldn't happen if I was away a lot of the week. So decision made, MSE helps again I will keep my eyes open for a promotion but want it to be right next time.

So with all this time at home rather than travelling what will I do? I love baking - the carrot cakes are what started me on this journey and I also used several MSEr's recipes, including this one:

"Moist Lemon Cake
    Heres one of our family favourites i tend to double up the amount and open freeze slices of the cake that way the teenager doesn't eat it all and i always have cake on hand for packed lunches last time i costed the recipe it was about 65p to make makes 8-10 slices

Ingredients

100g margarine
    75g caster sugar
    2 eggs
    175g self-raising flour
    1 jar lemon curd(smartprice/value is fine )
    1 level teaspoon baking powder

Method

1. Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees centigrade. Grease a 2lb loaf tin

2. Place all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix together for about 5 minutes

3. Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin level the top.

4. Bake for approximately 40 minutes until browned.

This cake gets moister the longer you leave it, if you can!!!

I have done a version using cocoa and marmalade as a chocolate orange cake too."

Apparently you can add sultanas and also mix icing sugar and lemon for top and icing sugar over.

I also made homemade lemon curd - when I find the recipe I will post it back here.

Previously I wanted to make a cowl top or two from this link: https://pin.it/owl2xrmlfkqt3v

I asked for a lovely sewing book a birthday or two ago and I bought material to make pyjama bottoms - I think the time to start sewing is here.

I also have a couple of chairs that I would like to re-upholster, how about this link for some help: https://www.lovelyetc.com/how-to-reupholster-armchair/ but I might just save that one for when we have our new house

Yes, that's right we are thinking about buying a house again. Can't believe that we might be in a position to start seriously thinking about it in about a year's time. In 2014 I wrote that we would be debt free in 2021, but the plan is to achieve that this year (3 years earlier than thought). Just shows what can be done with a bit of hard work and the support of you MSEr's. . (It also helps that MrSS has had his own LBMs).

A lot to look forward to and plenty of hope. For now I'm going to continue my trip down memory lane and have a look through my old thread. Never thought i would be in such a place three year's down the line and I am very grateful for a happy healthy family, a lovely warm and happy home, a secure, supportive and well paid job and just lots of hope.
    Last edited by supersaver1000; 26-02-2018 at 6:42 AM.
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 26th Feb 18, 7:24 AM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 12,824 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    So, just had to add that yesterday was a NSD! Mostly because I was just having lazyitus and had an afternoon nap in front of the tv, then couldn't work up the energy to go out into the cold for the few bits we needed for the week. I will call into the c00p later on to get the final few bits for the week. Then payday tomorrow - is it sad that I'm wishing the day away so I can make the payments?

So my trip down memory lane and in March 2014 I said that the credit cards were down from 25k to under 20k! But that didn't include the car loan. So I'm really pleased that our total debt is 20,400 not great I know but good news is that figure includes my car loan and the newish business loan. We have 1560 in the savings at the moment - three years ago I reported 10k in the savings but I think that went on paying off our overdraft (1750) and so we still have 1560, plus we loaned OH's business 1000 - not sure where the other c6k went, I think on some of the credit card bills, but I'm sure I'll find out as I read through my old thread.

Feel like I want to spend all day reading my old thread, but have to go out to work (of course). Better get a shifty on.

Wishing a happy Monday to everyone .
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 26th Feb 18, 8:21 PM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 12,824 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    Just come across the following on my last thread - its from Patrick Holford's book about natural highs/energy - need to start this again:

Have 2 pints water as a minimum daily
    This can include squash and I will buy more of the grapefruit high juice squash from Asda - delish and is has vitC - also good!
    Take a multivitamin with Bs esp B5
    Avoid sugar and stimulants
    Only 2 cups of very weak tea allowed each day
    Limit coffee to occasional treat
    Have 3 servings of protein a day and combine them with carbs
    Eat fish 3 times a week - I actually started blending sardines with lemon and mayo for my sandwich lunch - must find the recipe and start that again as also good for bones
    Have a tablespoon of seeds each day - grind them up on porridge in the morning ( another thing I stopped from simple laziness)
    Eat regularly and eat low GI foods
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 26th Feb 18, 9:31 PM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 12,824 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    So, journeying back to my bad time when I tried a promotion and ended up leaving for a job that was part-time, when I said:

Money wise I will be about 250 worse off from my job last year, but the new job earned me another 5k overall so if after 12 months I get a better paid job again it will have been financially worth it and the experience has been very useful.

Well, after only 6 months I got that better job!! And two years later I'm now better off than my original job, so it was perhaps worth it - at least I'm slightly better off than if I'd stayed put. Plus I have more qualifications, more skills and more choice about jobs. When I make it back to the level of my tried out promotion I think I will be over the moon, but I'm happy to wait for the right opportunity now.
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 26th Feb 18, 9:57 PM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 12,824 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    Still enjoying my foray back in time. Found this little nugget about !!!!py jobs:

Consider leaving; regard it as a positive decision in the face of overwhelming odds which are not of your choosing, not of your making and over which you have no control. In this type of situation, walking away can be the best thing because you remain in control. Choose to move on and find an employer who does value you and your skills. Do not allow your health to be destroyed. What is more important, your job, your health, your career, life or family?
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 27th Feb 18, 8:34 PM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 12,824 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    Was going to claim an NSD today but then remembered the two packs of jelly babies for 1.99 I bought earlier! Must have been the cold affecting my memory

Hope everyone is staying safe out of the cold and snow xx
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 1st Mar 18, 8:36 PM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 12,824 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    Small spend at A!di yesterday, just over 4.

Then today was a bit of a white out but DH picked up a loaf of bread and a couple of bits needed for home made dinner.

Then I placed a small order on body shop - had a 5 birthday voucher from last month and DD wanted a couple of items so we had 10 off and free delivery (whenever it ever arrives after the snow).

I'm not planning any spends tomorrow, but we'll have to wait and see. I could do with some butter for some baking, but that might just have to wait for the weekend.

Been planning the savings for cc1 and cc2 (to pay the 0% off) but noticed that there's a new $antander App and I can see my loan and there's a sort code and account no. Haven't noticed that before, so I emailed customer service and they explained how I can make extra payments. When I took the loan out the blurb said they could only be made by calling customer services - guess I should have checked before, but I'm already planning some overpayments on that. Exciting to see the results. They didn't mention anything about a minimum payment so I might pay 50 off and see what happens.
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 3rd Mar 18, 5:50 PM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 12,824 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    Small spend at Sain$bugs yesterday for some bread and milk, then did a shop at A$da today. Need to book a delivery, they should hopefully be back out on the road soon. Went out with DD shopping for interview clothes and managed to bag a discount code, so did really well. I decided to pay for them, so bang goes my overpayment to the loan this month, but DD is such a hard worker and they will be used plenty.

Nothing much really happening here otherwise, the snow is melting and we are all safe and warm.
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 4th Mar 18, 7:06 AM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 12,824 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    Just came across HoneysuckleLou's Date Bar recipe via Cherryfudge's thread.

These look like a must have. I do like something sweet, but there are certain things (like chocolate) that once I start eating I can't stop. I'm going to give it up for good, so am trying to find some sweet things to satisfy that craving. Will go date shopping later, although I guess you could use other dried fruit as well.

This recipe looks yum:

Date Bars

So, all bank accounts checked. 500 buffer in $antander ac and have nearly 1700 in $ainsbury account towards paying off 0% ccard in November. Two things I need to do this month are:

1. Pay off Avro, there was a big 75 extra on top of the dd again this month, its set aside but you have to call to make the payment. I've upped the dd to 85 which should be the average monthly payment from now on. But, the MSE energy club says that my cheapest provider is OneSelect at 82 pmth. My Avro deal is due to end in April, but I think I can just go ahead and change now with no exit fees. It could be 36 a year, which is massive and I read that energy prices might go up due to the snow, so might be a good thing to do today.
    2. Is to do a current account switch to H$BC to get the 150 and 50, but also to get the 5% saver where I can put some of my monthly savings towards paying off the 0% credit card.

Its amazing how all these little amounts add up. But interesting how it takes a real push from me to change these things - always slightly scared I'm doing the wrong thing or that things will go wrong. Makes me hesitate to change, but I know really that its the right thing to do.
    Last edited by supersaver1000; 04-03-2018 at 7:23 AM.
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 5th Mar 18, 9:01 PM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 12,824 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    Feels like its going to be an uphill struggle this month. After tomorrows A$da delivery, there will be only 89 left of 304. And I've just had notice that there won't be any mushrooms, swede, parsnips or sweet potatoes in my order. I will have to call into another shop to try and get them, luckily I don't need those until Thursday so there is time. And it could be possible to make it to the month end on 89 - will just need to be really creative and make sure I use the cupboard and freezer items.

Actually, just had a thought that MrSS can pay for his toiletries so that will be another 23. And I have a bit in my personal account so could be 120 in total, and that's 40 per week for the next three weeks - more than do-able :0

Have to take the car in this week, think it might be expensive, but if it needs work, it will need it.
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 7th Mar 18, 6:44 AM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 12,824 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    Just calling in to give thanks for my A$da delivery. Despite several things not arriving, I am still grateful not to have to trawl around the shop lugging heaving potatoes and squash and so on. I didn't realise how tiring and draining I found that after a days work or how much it intruded on my weekends.

Have all the flour now for my home baking, but just realised I used up almost all the cheese in my macaroni the other day. I can get some on the way home weds night, looking forward to a baking weekend

Had a chocolate free day yesterday. CFDs this month: 1
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 7th Mar 18, 8:50 PM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 12,824 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    Reporting a second chocolate free day.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 7th Mar 18, 10:26 PM
    • 1,707 Posts
    • 9,214 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Just came across HoneysuckleLou's Date Bar recipe via Cherryfudge's thread.

These look like a must have. I do like something sweet, but there are certain things (like chocolate) that once I start eating I can't stop. I'm going to give it up for good, so am trying to find some sweet things to satisfy that craving. Will go date shopping later, although I guess you could use other dried fruit as well.

This recipe looks yum:

Date Bars
    Originally posted by supersaver1000
    I have a problem with stopping eating date bars...
    MFW #30 Paid off 1,622.77/3770 as of 4/5/18
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 11th Mar 18, 8:32 AM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 12,824 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    Not having the best week so far. Car needs a repair of around 800. My diet is going nowhere - although its healthy and reasonably priced!! And looking at my food budget, I will need to dip into savings this month because I have about 50 left.

So that's my bad things, but the good things are I have a lovely home, food, warmth plus great family and friends. I can afford to get my car fixed from savings. I have purchased food for the week, so have only two more weekly shops to make this month. I feel like I could go on and on. Life is too precious to worry about the shoulda woulda coulda's
    Last edited by supersaver1000; 11-03-2018 at 10:21 PM.
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 17th Mar 18, 6:14 PM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 12,824 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    So, I feel my spending/saving is kind of under control.

Now to tackle my blobbiness. so 17kg to lose (or 2 stone 9lbs in old money).

OMG. Its kind of my light bulb moment. I lost about 7lbs which felt great, but have now put about half of that back on - not so great

No excuses now - need to get back on it. Went for a short run this morning after my porridge. But then went out shopping and and had my free birthday sweet treat from Greggs and a latte. Going to log that on myfitness pal and need to start eating a bit healthier. Freebies aren't always the best for the figure, although I was just reading about CICO - apparently its 'an exciting new fad diet'. The 'concept' is you count calories in and calories out - isn't that how we used to do diets in the olden days? Oh well works for me and my freebies.
    Last edited by supersaver1000; 17-03-2018 at 6:14 PM. Reason: blooming auto correct
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 17th Mar 18, 6:57 PM
    • 1,707 Posts
    • 9,214 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Happy birthday!

Hope it was/will be fun! I have a birthday freebie coffee & cake to use before the end of March too - they never give away cucumber and lemons, do they?

Did you run in the snow? Well done for getting out there - it's been bitter here. Good luck with the CICO - I calorie count to lose weight too though it's been a source of amazement to me how few calories I burn unless I run. I can gain weight on 2000. And you have kept half the loss you achieved, which is overall progress in the right direction. Won't be long till the weather improves and you can run more, and speed up the weight loss again so hold on for that!
    MFW #30 Paid off 1,622.77/3770 as of 4/5/18
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 18th Mar 18, 10:36 AM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 12,824 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    Morning Cherryfudge and thank you, my birthday was a couple of weeks ago but thank you for the good wishes, yes it was lovely - good company and some nice pressies

It wasn't snowing when I went running, but it was really bitter. Snowing today so I will do some indoor stretches - I've bought myself a gym ball from Sp0rts D1rect and a step from A1di so no excuses for not exercising - I've downloaded an app with exercises for runners too!

Thanks for the weight loss encouragement. You are so right about calories - its amazing how many calories a 5k or 5 mile run burns up - and you apparently increase your metabolism for the next 24 hours as well. I need to get back to my running again - hopefully the pavements will be clear soon.

A$da order set up weekly now, so that's another bit of organisation that should help all round - money and time.
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 21st Mar 18, 9:44 PM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 12,824 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    So, over the last 3 days:

A$da order done again - I'm currently paying for a 5/mth anytime pass, but I reckon I could do better with a 24/yr mid-week pass. (another for the to do list next week).

Started running again and feel so much better already.

Got the bicycle going again - helps that the weather has been a bit better.

Haven't:

Lost weight

Paid the extra to Avro/moved to One Select

Done the current account switch

Done my exercises

But I also haven't eaten any chocolate for a few days now
    Last edited by supersaver1000; 21-03-2018 at 9:48 PM.
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 22nd Mar 18, 5:53 PM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 12,824 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    So, I have cancelled the 12 month delivery pass. Just got to wait for it to expire and then start the mid-week pass. Will save 36 a year.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

172Posts Today

1,879Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin