Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 19th Apr 16, 7:49 PM
    • 1,225Posts
    • 3,555Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    Oyster card reclaiming - guide discussion
    • 19th Apr 16, 7:49 PM
    Oyster card reclaiming - guide discussion 19th Apr 16 at 7:49 PM

Hi all,

We've written a new Oyster Card Reclaiming guide.

How did you find the info? Was it useful? Do you have any other tips you'd add?

Thanks for your help!

MSE Jenny
Page 1
    • aycor
    • By aycor 19th Apr 16, 10:08 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    aycor
    • 19th Apr 16, 10:08 PM
    • 19th Apr 16, 10:08 PM
    Brilliant very useful I knew I had money in an oyster card linked to my barclaycard which I rarely use so I checked and found I had two, one with £12 and the other with £6 not alot but claimed a refund await it landing into my account Thanks Jenny
    • Allys Hoose
    • By Allys Hoose 20th Apr 16, 1:24 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Allys Hoose
    • 20th Apr 16, 1:24 PM
    • 20th Apr 16, 1:24 PM
    Will get £17 back off a card not used for a couple of years! Thanks for tip
    • asheranti
    • By asheranti 20th Apr 16, 2:28 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    asheranti
    • 20th Apr 16, 2:28 PM
    • 20th Apr 16, 2:28 PM
    Is it possible to get a refund of the card deposit too?
    • KTF
    • By KTF 20th Apr 16, 4:08 PM
    • 4,677 Posts
    • 1,912 Thanks
    KTF
    • 20th Apr 16, 4:08 PM
    • 20th Apr 16, 4:08 PM
    Is it possible to get a refund of the card deposit too?
    Originally posted by asheranti
    You get that back as well if applicable.
    • miller
    • By miller 24th Apr 16, 8:58 AM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 442 Thanks
    miller
    • 24th Apr 16, 8:58 AM
    • 24th Apr 16, 8:58 AM
    Do all methods of refund stop the card from working (I'd quite like the money back but to retain a functioning card with a nil balance)?
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 24th Apr 16, 10:02 PM
    • 8,194 Posts
    • 12,889 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    • 24th Apr 16, 10:02 PM
    • 24th Apr 16, 10:02 PM
    Just applied for a refund for an old Oyster card. Had £12.00 on it plus got the £5.00 deposit back. I lost the card a couple of years ago and thought that it may have been used but obviously not.

Look forward to receiving my £17.00 in due course.
    • Repercussionist
    • By Repercussionist 10th Aug 16, 4:19 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Repercussionist
    • 10th Aug 16, 4:19 PM
    • 10th Aug 16, 4:19 PM
    In order to reclaim ...
    I am required to sign up online ...
    In order to sign up ...
    I have to give details of the last journey made with the Oyster card – which must have been made within the last 8 weeks (but not today) ...
    I have not made a journey in 8 months with the Oyster card – let alone 8 weeks ...
    I am unable to sign up online ...
    I am unable to reclaim ...
    So far, not so good ...

For further assistance, I may contact TfL Customer Services on 0343 222 1234 (8am - 8pm) ...
    No thank you ...
    I am currently abroad – for most of my foreseeable future ...

So much for 60 seconds!
    • googler
    • By googler 10th Aug 16, 4:42 PM
    • 14,814 Posts
    • 9,724 Thanks
    googler
    • 10th Aug 16, 4:42 PM
    • 10th Aug 16, 4:42 PM
    Do all methods of refund stop the card from working (I'd quite like the money back but to retain a functioning card with a nil balance)?
    Originally posted by miller
    What on Earth for? So that you actually have to add money to the card next time you go back in order that you can use it?
    • Wizzbang
    • By Wizzbang 10th Aug 16, 9:28 PM
    • 4,377 Posts
    • 9,957 Thanks
    Wizzbang
    What on Earth for? So that you actually have to add money to the card next time you go back in order that you can use it?
    Originally posted by googler
    For those of us that don't go to London regularly, it can be useful to have a card i.e. not need to purchase a new one up there, but not keep money on it because it's so rarely used. I'd like to do this too. But usually end up keeping £5-£10 on my card. Can sometimes go over a year between uses.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £34,542.32
    (Not inc coupons, yellow stickies, bank interest or loyalty rewards because I have better things to do than catalogue everything!) Swagbucks £2,488.50
    • miller
    • By miller 11th Aug 16, 8:41 AM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 442 Thanks
    miller
    For those of us that don't go to London regularly, it can be useful to have a card i.e. not need to purchase a new one up there, but not keep money on it because it's so rarely used. I'd like to do this too. But usually end up keeping £5-£10 on my card. Can sometimes go over a year between uses.
    Originally posted by Wizzbang
    Indeed, I'd only ever use it if I was staying overnight in London as I use Network Card discounted paper tickets for day trips. Not all my cards are contactless either so it would be a backup option.

Must be some technical limitation as to why they need to deactivate it after a refund from a ticket machine.
    • laura84gr
    • By laura84gr 15th Aug 16, 10:32 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    laura84gr
    Can you get a refund on older cards. I have three and two of them haven't been used for a year or two.

It doesn't take me further when I try to claim online. Should I call them?
    • Saetana
    • By Saetana 16th Aug 17, 3:22 PM
    • 1,114 Posts
    • 2,238 Thanks
    Saetana
    Is it possible to get a refund on Visitor Oyster Cards please?
    2018 Wins: £160 Boots, £57 Vouchers, £10 Survey Credit, £112 Cash, £5 Scratchcards, DVD Player, 2 Beanie Hats, 5 T-Shirts, 6 Books, Silver Necklace/Earrings, Fitnesswear, Toiletries/Perfume/Skincare, Costume Jewellery, Chocolate, Mars Milk, Beer, Rum
    • Dollar Park
    • By Dollar Park 16th Apr 18, 8:50 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dollar Park
    A problem with that
    I'm afraid you have a circular (in the logical sense) problem with your advice - good though it is - on registering or refunding Oyster cards. I suspect a fair amount of cash sitting on Oysters is from those who don't live in London but visit occasionally. And that's us! I thought registering was a good idea after reading your article but I couldn't. This was because my last journey using the card was previous to the 'last 8 week' window. OK, so I'll get a refund then? No, because in order to get a refund you have to register the card and I can't do that because ---------! Clearly, Joseph Heller works for TFL ('Catch 22' if you've read the book; if you haven't, do so asap and many infuriating aspects of your life will become clearer!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,299Posts Today

7,028Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin