Thomson Local Directories have ended

Options
It was always extra pocket money for me twice a year delivering the 'little blue book' but it would seem that they are no longer going to make them :(
I have been having trouble getting onto the distribution website for a couple of days to check when MY local was coming out as it is usually in May but the site has been down.

On further investigation I found this tweet:
Due to the success of http://thomsonlocal.com & our digital products we are no longer print directories

Sad news for those of us that looked on the deliveries as easy money :(
I wonder if the Yellow Pages will be next to drop the actual directory.

Comments

• ShaneUK
    ShaneUK Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can understand why though, it is a huge amount on paper for a start. I don't think I've opened a phone book in years - I just look online if I need to!
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,391 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    About time too, my copy goes straight into the recycling bin, what an utter waste. Have a few copies available in libraries or doctors surgeries for those that need one.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    This thread was not about the book it is more to do with the fact that it is another loss of temp work for those of us that do that kind of thing.

Further to my OP.
    If anyone is interested in seeking this kind of temp delivery work, the 'self service, route allocation' site has been taken over by a new host, the Letterbox Team now run it, you need to register then click on the tab for 'Book New Routes' and you can see what is available.

website is www. bookaroute.com without the space
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,660 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've never ever used the directory, so no tears shed here.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • HiToAll
    HiToAll Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Options
    I feel sorry for those whose livelihood depended on being able to tear up phone books
  • HHarry
    HHarry Posts: 887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My Wife and many of our friends worked there in years gone by. Most of them could see what was happening and took the redundancy.

When the company was bought years ago it was pretty much for the information held in it's database - the print directory was only really continued to fulfill existing contracts.

The company was worth millions in its heyday - its amazing what the internet can do.
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Sorry to have wasted all of your time :wave:
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Some people, particularly older people, still use phone books. My mum is 82 and she has no intention of learning how to use a computer. She's happy as she is.

Torbrex, sorry to hear that you and many others have lost an income from this.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,660 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    torbrex wrote: »
    I wonder if the Yellow Pages will be next to drop the actual directory.

Just had the 2016/17 Yellow Pages delivered
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • abeyseedy
    Options
    We worked for Thompsons delivering for a couple of years but the wastage was phenomenal. We were told to deliver one book per doorbell but often books would be refused in flats, by people and addresses closed. Usually porters at flat refused our leaving any books or allowed us to leave a dozen. We found our car cluttered with unwanted books.

We were given our contracts when we went to collection points and the people loading insisted on counting every book on the contract into our car. Many contracts ran on for weeks and when we went back to collect more books we usually had many books left over. After this happened a couple of times the manager at the loading started suggesting we were not doing the job properly and had to return; yes, that's right, force the books onto people or slip them in when the porter was not at his desk.

It was not uncommon to find piles of untouched directories including the previous years Thompsons on our rounds.

Faced with a situation where we had to chose between quietly disposing of books or losing our jobs by being honest and realistic we were forced to choose the former. We soon found that everyone was doing the same rather than risk arguing with the managers.

We were also told we could not leave books in piles at doors to flats but had to go inside and distribute them. fine in theory but nobody would let us in so we simply did not leave any and would put them directly in the nearest bin rather than have them cluttering up our car and of course we could not take them back.

Much to our surprise, despite back-checking, Thompsons never pulled us up on why no books were delivered at these locations.

Basically Thompson were out of control wasting time and money trapped in their own bubble of refusing to face the reality that a very high percentage were not wanted or undeliverable and forcing the books onto contracted deliverers like us with a hear nothing, see nothing, say nothing attitude to what was obvious to everyone else, that a large percentage of the books were being systematically wasted through being unwanted, not delivered or deliberately scuttled like stinking fish by those lumbered with them because the company could not face reality.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure