PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Xmas cake recipes

Options
Does anyone have some tried and tested yummy ones?

Not cheapo versions but once a year 'blow-out' versions please?
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Comments

• LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    apparently nigellas is supposed to be nice
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I use Delia's recipe. It makes a nice, dark, rich cake.
  • grannybroon
    grannybroon Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have had great success over the years with the Bero Book Dundee cake. The secret is I think that I soak the dried fruit in brandy for about two days before baking!

GB
  • scrimpingbadger
    Options
    Usually do Delia's but did a Nigella last year. Preferred Delia's. Problem is, I jiggle the ingredients around anyway so no two cakes are the same anyway!! (for instance, can't stand black treacle and not wasting money buying it). We eventually chucked last years away (New Years diet and all that)
  • Fozz
    Fozz Posts: 215 Forumite
    Options
    I made this last Christmas and it was lovely!

8oz butter, 10oz dark muscovado sugar, 2 x 500g luxury mixed dried fruit, Finely grated rind and juice of 1 orange, same of 1 lemon, 4 fl oz brandy or sherry, 100g packet of whole blanched almonds, 4 large eggs lightly beaten, 100g packet ground almonds, 10 oz plain flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp mixed spice, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg.

Put butter, sugar, dried fruit, citrus rinds and juices and brandy or sherry in a large pan and bring slowly to the boil, stirring until butter melted. Reduce heat and simmer 10 mins, stirring occasionally. Remove pan from heat, cool 30 mins. Toast whole almonds in a dry frying pan, chop roughly. Stir into cake mix with eggs and ground almonds. Sift flour, baking powder and spices into mix, stir in gently but thoroughly. Put into greased and double lined cake tin (size not specified, mine was about 9" diameter), bake 150C 1 hour, reduce heat to 140C, bake another 2-21/2 hrs. If it gets too dark cover with foil (don't think mine took this long, just keep checking!)
  • kethry
    kethry Posts: 1,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i did delia's classic christmas cake last year as well. it was gorgeous. I ended up doing two, in fact, both square - one large one for mum, the other one was cut into 2 smaller cakes. The large one and one of the smaller ones was decorated with a selection of dried fruits and nuts and glazed with apricot jam (combination of the two recipes i've provided links to). The other small one was properly covered in marzipan and icing. All three were very very well brandied. They went down extremely well with everyone who tried them. I'd really recommend it, along with the recipe for delia's mincemeat as well which is absolutely to die for. The pudding recipe came from elsewhere, a recipe i've used for years and can't find online, and i don't think a copy of the book is available anywhere nowadays, which is a shame, as its a lovely one - rich and boozy christmas pudding!

HTH!

keth
    xx
  • angie_baby
    angie_baby Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone have the nigellas one? i cant find th recipe anywhere, have tried her website but cant find it. It was a cheats one, she only made the week before christmas.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    angie_baby wrote: »
    Does anyone have the nigellas one? i cant find th recipe anywhere, have tried her website but cant find it. It was a cheats one, she only made the week before christmas.

Was it the chocolate one? If so, here it is: Chocolate Fruitcake

Pink
  • itsalldrivingmemad
    Options
    is it time to be making them already???
  • Laneyboo
    Laneyboo Posts: 319 Forumite
    Options
    Nigellas can be made just a few days before - i made it last year and even invested in the edible glitter to sprinkle on top! It beat any rock solid slab of iced cake any day ;)
    I LOVE MSE! :money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport