http://bandce.co.uk company pension?

Options
I have just started work with a new company and they have opted me into a
http://bandce.co.uk
employee pension scheme and I am wondering whether anyone has a pension scheme with them and whether it includes life insurance benefits?
When will the "Edit" and "Quote" button get fixed on the mobile web interface?

Comments

• jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The People's Pension itself doesn't include life insurance benefits. The full B&CE product range does include an employee accident and life cover option that your employer might have chosen to add, you'll need to check.

The People's Pension itself is worth joining, not wonderful for investment choice but if you're getting employer contributions, well worth having.
  • JethroUK
    JethroUK Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    Options
    How do you evaluate a one time employer contribution vs annual return in a savings account?
    I don't really understand how they can sell me a pension scheme without giving me some indication of the annual return/interest rate (for comparison) but maybe I'm overlooking some thing obvious
  • ermine
    ermine Posts: 757 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 February 2015 at 8:36PM
    Options
    JethroUK wrote: »
    How do you evaluate a one time employer contribution vs annual return in a savings account?
    I don't really understand how they can sell me a pension scheme without giving me some indication of the annual return/interest rate (for comparison) but maybe I'm overlooking some thing obvious

http://thepeoplespension.co.uk/employees/joining-the-peoples-pension/what-do-i-need-to-do/

seems pretty clear, and the fund factsheets are at

http://thepeoplespension.co.uk/resource-library/#fundfactsheet

A pension is a wrapper for investments (if you save cash you're unlikely to ever get enough to retire on without saving a humongous part of your salary)

So you have to roughly get your head around investing for the long-term. As a rough rule of thumb a diversified portfolio of index funds may return about 4% in real terms averaged over decades, you need to target a savings at your desired retirement date of roughly 20-25 times the annual income you want from the pension.

Are you sure that the employer contribution is a one-off lump sum - is it not a percentage of your salary or a fixed amount monthly?
  • jamesd
    edited 9 February 2015 at 1:51AM
    Options
    They can't tell you the returns to expect because nobody knows what they will be. The best of the available funds for long term growth looks like the B&CE Global Investments (up to 100% shares) Fund and you can probably expect around 5% plus inflation long term from that, with along the way drops of 20% two or three times a decade and drops of 40% once or twice a decade. the ones with lower shared component would move up and down less at the cost of lower growth, with the 60% shares one likely something in the 4% or so growth and 10-25% drop range.

By default they will putyou into a "balanced" "lifetstyle" profile. The balanced part cuts your growth bu reduces the up and down movements. The lifestyle bit puts your money in low growth investments at ridiculously early times and you should opt out of this immediately or face a substantial drop in your likely eventual pension value.
  • Gram_Parsons
    Options
    My work's scheme is the Peoples Pension. I was auto enrolled just over a year ago. I recently (couple of months) upped my contribution from 1 to 5% but the company would not move from their scheduled increments so still 1% from them for another 2+ years. I also switched to the "adventurous" profile as I can afford the "gamble" with such a small part of my overall savings/investments.
  • jamesd
    Options
    If you're within 15 years of the retirement age you give them, best to check where they have really put your money, because of the effect of lifestyling that starts around then.

Their adventurous choice isn't really very adventurous. Typical equity investing is closer to what it really is.
  • JethroUK
    JethroUK Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    edited 9 February 2015 at 10:36AM
    Options
    ermine wrote: »

Are you sure that the employer contribution is a one-off lump sum - is it not a percentage of your salary or a fixed amount monthly?

They do contribute monthly as a percentage (me: employer = 1:2) my point is they only match my dollars once - unlike other savings accounts that give me interest on the same dollars year on year

That said I confess I will struggle to match a whooping 200% one-off interest payment even with the best annual savings account

The only other consideration is access - if I put my money in a pension it's the last I see of it because my only option is to put it in an annuity vs an is a I can draw out and buy myself a new car if I want
  • Loughton_Monkey
    Loughton_Monkey Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    edited 9 February 2015 at 4:04PM
    Options
    ermine wrote: »
    So you have to roughly get your head around investing for the long-term. As a rough rule of thumb a diversified portfolio of index funds may return about 4% in real terms averaged over decades, you need to target a savings at your desired retirement date of roughly 20-25 times the annual income you want from the pension.

Your 4% figure is possibly conservative.

I am no investment guru but I have some actual historic figures from 3 pension schemes. I use the "XIRR" function on excel which conveniently calculates the net return on the exact date of each exact contribution, and the exact date and amount of final value. My results were:

1. A personal pension in mixed funds started October 1994, with regular (but changing) contributions until January 2000. Then left for a further 7 years without contributions. Crystalised 2007 at 6.55% average annual return.

2. A 'Serps' pension started April 1989, with contributions up to August 1997. Then transferred to SIPP Jan 2015. In a single 'balanced' fund with 85% equities, the rest bonds, property, & fixed interest. Average Annual Return up to transfer was 8.15%.

3. A small stakeholder started February 2000. Regular annual contributions up to now. Average Annual return to end of January 2015 5.32%. The lower figure probably reflects the [deliberately high] 30% of money in extremely safe/cautious funds.

By contrast, a similar analysis of all investments over the period mid 1973 to end Jan 2015 show an annual average return of 7.37%. This excludes my house. Treating the cost of "investment" into my own house, including home improvements, but excluding mortgage interest costs and excluding maintenance etc., shows an equivalent return over the same 40-odd years of 6.70%

Edit: To be absolutely clear, the contributions to the pensions were gross in the above figures and so actual net return after tax can be higher.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure