Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • andrea138
    • 31st Jul 07, 8:42 PM
    • 31st Jul 07, 8:42 PM
    If Melanie is running a business surely she would have insurance to cover something like this.
  • Mrs B
    • 31st Jul 07, 9:21 PM
    • 31st Jul 07, 9:21 PM
    Melanie has already fulfilled what she was paid to do, couples should take out insurance themselves if they can't afford to cover the cost of things going wrong.
  • bev b
    • 31st Jul 07, 9:25 PM
    • 31st Jul 07, 9:25 PM
    When planning an expensive wedding it is your responsibility to insure against weather, as the caterer is a small business it would be unfair to expect her to do another free unless all the food was frozen and they would be happy to have that defrosted (what happened to the food?). Maybe as a good will gesture she would offer to do it at cost or little profit?
  • bagpuss
    • 31st Jul 07, 9:27 PM
    • 31st Jul 07, 9:27 PM
    This is what wedding insurance is for! Melanie has met her contractural obligations and it is not her fault that the venue was flooded.
    • SMarg
    • By SMarg 31st Jul 07, 10:01 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    SMarg
    • 31st Jul 07, 10:01 PM
    • 31st Jul 07, 10:01 PM
    As above, if you are getting married, take out insurance. It is not the fault of the caterer and she shuld not be out of pocket.
  • chocolateypie
    • 31st Jul 07, 11:00 PM
    • 31st Jul 07, 11:00 PM
    It's wrong of Rhett and Scarlet to think that Melanie "should" cater for free just because their wedding was ruined by an unpredictable disaster. They should have had insurance to protect themselves from any castastrophic situations; Melanie has provided her service so that's her end of the deal fulfilled. If she wants to cater for free as a goodwill gesture then great, but she should not feel obligated to do so as it wasn't her fault.
    • Mics_chick
    • By Mics_chick 1st Aug 07, 1:08 AM
    • 11,688 Posts
    • 11,566 Thanks
    Mics_chick
    • 1st Aug 07, 1:08 AM
    • 1st Aug 07, 1:08 AM
    When planning an expensive wedding it is your responsibility to insure against weather, as the caterer is a small business it would be unfair to expect her to do another free unless all the food was frozen and they would be happy to have that defrosted (what happened to the food?). Maybe as a good will gesture she would offer to do it at cost or little profit?
    Originally posted by bev b
    I think this is all that the caterer could be expected to do in these circumstances - if she wanted to. Expecting her to do it for free is extremely cheeky and downright unfair IMHO

If she is a small business then I suspect alot of her business comes from word of mouth so I think it would be in her interests to do something like this coz the couple could bad mouth her to all their family and friends which could do a small firm's reputation a fair bit of damage...

If she made this offer in as friendly a way as possible but firmly explained that is all she would be financially able to do then leave it up to them whether they do use her or go elsewhere...
    You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
    "anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs
  • Tetsuko
    • 1st Aug 07, 1:19 AM
    • 1st Aug 07, 1:19 AM
    Melanie had already done all the work she promised to do. Melanine can't control flood, pestilence or death.

It's up to Rhett and Scarlet to make sure that if they are spending a large amount of money on their wedding they should put some cash aside to cover insurance.

If they didn't get insured...well, they might have to settle for a registry office and some curly sarnies at the local pub
    Last edited by Tetsuko; 01-08-2007 at 1:20 AM. Reason: I can't spell after midnight. All my letters turn into pumpkins
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Voltaire
  • lplumb
    Free catering for cancelled wedding due to floods
    What a way to start a marriage, my sympathies to Rhett and Scarlet but they should have and maybe the caterer should have had insurance to cover such occasions. We covered our wedding and our daughters wedding with specific wedding insurance - in our cases just a waste of money as all went well fortunatly - but we must all take responsibility for ourselves and not expect other to look after us.
    Leslie
  • wellington
    Catering after the floods
    As an equipment hire company, previously caterer, there is absolutely no way that Melanie would be expected to cater for free, or indeed, at a reduced rate if she were to accept a re-booking at a later time. She had fulfilled her part of the contract to the full, assuming the food was prepared and ready for guests, and should therefore receive payment in full on this occasion. If the floods had hit wiping out her catering unit and the venue before the food had been prepared then I would expect she could not have charged for her services on this occasion as she hadn't fulfilled the contract and would have lost out but if this had happened, the clients would be in a position to re-book as they hadn't lost any money. No compensation would be due from the caterer in either event.
  • Mike C
    Wedding delema
    Hi, I think this highlights 2 problems that an business and buyer should know about. Firstly there should be contract for all important transactions as I am sure there are many more other potential problems that could be avoided by both parties knowing what is offered and what is expected.
    The contract would then identify at what stage the goods change from being owned by the supplier to being owned by the buyer. This way it would be clear who would pay for the replacement food as it would reasonably be the owner. What would the caterer say if they made the wedding cake and then dropped it before the wedding?
    I have done wedding photography and the bride and groom expected me to have a working camera with me to take the photographs. What happens if someone knocked over the camera and it stopped working? This did happen to me and I always had a complete second backup system with me at every wedding.
    Unfortunately my answer is that if you claim to be offering a professional service then you should have proper business insurance. On a small business this is not expensive and is part of your cost. You don't then have to answer this question as the insurance company pays and we are all happy.
  • CCCele
    If it was the other way around, Melanie had been flooded and could not supply the food, then Rhett and Scarlett would be taking action against her. Melanie would need to be insured for that. But as it is, it is Rhett and Scarlett's fault for not having insurance.

At least the booze could be reused.
  • Jazz_uk
    For me it is simple, the caterer was booked to provide a service and goods and was not caught in the floods therefore able to provide what was contracted.

It is not her fault that the service was not used as contracted... if your remove the flood from the situation and say that the bride got cold feet and it was cancelled at the last minute would anyone be saying that Melanie should have/use insurance?

In fact even if Melanie had insurance, then this would just cover her for damage to her own property and loss of income due to the damage... none of which happened.

Jazz
    • golddustmedia
    • By golddustmedia 1st Aug 07, 9:29 AM
    • 796 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    golddustmedia
    I got married 2 weeks ago and made the sensible decision to buy wedding insurance. It was £49 and covered me for just such losses.

Likewise the caterer should have business insurance too.

However the caterer should not be liable since she has provided the food as per contract and it's actually the venue that is unable to supply the service.

Realistically it should be the venue who are liable for costs or if that was not a business (e.g. a hotel) then the couple themselves should have had the forethought to buy wedding insurance as I did.

My opinion: Caterer NOT liable.

On another note, I saw a lady on the news about the floods complaining that they would lose money as her flooded home was not insured and was expecting a government handout!?!?

Surely that just makes a mockery of those of us who DO buy home insurance? Otherwise why should we bother?

Astoundingly that ladies reason for not having house insurance is they couldn't buy it as they live on the flood plain!!! Well that should be a key indicator that perhaps you shouldn't live there? Would have come up on a survey and the solicitors searches.
  • lellie
    Absolutely not.

The couple should have wedding insurance. If they don't - they should foot the bill.
    • potbelly
    • By potbelly 1st Aug 07, 10:31 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    potbelly
    Whose responsibility?
    .......- but we must all take responsibility for ourselves and not expect other to look after us.
    Leslie
    Originally posted by lplumb
    To me, that is the key phrase. Nowadays too many people expect someone else to be responsible for things that are actually their own responsibility.
    As a small business, I am insured against mishaps for which I am responsible but I would not expect that to cover the customers own problems.
    In this case, if Melanie had not been able to provide the catering, her insurance would recover the costs but if she WAS able to provide the catering but the venue was unuseable, that was the couples problem, and THEY should claim on THEIR insurance. If they didn't have any, that is their fault, not Melanie's.
    Bye for now,
    Paul

What colour is YOUR parachute?
    • CrazyCat
    • By CrazyCat 1st Aug 07, 11:37 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 1,778 Thanks
    CrazyCat
    Wedding insurance is very cheap compared to the overall cost of a wedding, and you can't pick up a bridal magazine without seeing adverts for it so ignorance is no excuse.

Equally no one running a small business should consider doing without their own insurance.

Both sides should really be insured and should make claims as appropriate, that way no one is out of pocket and the couple can happily book the caterer for when they re-schedule.
    • rdwarr
    • By rdwarr 1st Aug 07, 11:40 AM
    • 5,712 Posts
    • 6,500 Thanks
    rdwarr
    Frankly my dears, I couldn't give a damn!
    Can I help?
    • GileZ
    • By GileZ 1st Aug 07, 12:32 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    GileZ
    At the end of the day, it was not Melanie's fault that they didn't want the food on the day- she kept her part of the contract, stating that she would provide the food at the venue. If anything, the venue should reimburse from their insurance as they were not able to provide the service that was paid for. However, it would have been easier all round if they had paid for wedding insurance- thats what its there for!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,579Posts Today

9,939Users online

Martin's Twitter