PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Out of Date Mattessons Smoked Pork Sausage

Options
I often use these for handy meaty stuff in food, cassoulet etc but found a couple at the back of the cupboard (they don't need refrigeration) a month out of date. However, the date is a use by rather than best before. Functionally I don't know why it's a use by rather than best before date but am slightly wavering over using them. Any thoughts as to why a cupboard ingredient like that would have use by rather than best before, like canned meat?

I could make it better myself at home. All I need is a small aubergine...

I moved to Liverpool for a better life.
And goodness, it's turned out to be better and busier!

Comments

• ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd open it and sniff it, it's cured and full of salt... I guess it's use by because it's not canned, that packaging may be slightly permeable?
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd probably do the sniff test too x
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would imagine the plastic tube packaging isn't as durable as a can ans probably deteriorates at a much quicker rate, hence the use by date.

How much out of date it a month? If they usually have 5 yrs life and it's only a month over I'd use it, if they usually have 6 months life and it's a month over I probably wouldn't.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure