tomato frito

Options
Has anyone a clue where to get the authentic spanish tomate frito? I think you can buy the Heinz stuff in big Tescos but I think it is made with vegetable oil instead of olive oil. Has anyone tried the Heinz stuff, is it any good as a substitute?
Thanks

Comments

• dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You could try asking these guys

http://rgarciaandsons.com/

they have half a dozen different varities

http://rgarciaandsons.com/product-category/tomate-frito/
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    I absolutely love Heinz Tomato Frito but it's nigh on impossible to buy it here these days. Last year I bought 12 jars from Amazon (alas no longer on there) and a couple of months ago I spotted small cartons in B & M, selling off at 10p!!! I all but cleared the shelf! I once tried a jar of a Spanish brand I found in Home Bargains but much prefer the Heinz one!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Grouchy
    Grouchy Posts: 439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 September 2014 at 11:05AM
    Options
    Looks like it is just the two of is that loves this lovely stuff, think the secret is the frying of the tomatoes. Makes all the difference to autbentic taste of mediterranean recipies though. Can`t beat it. Yees very hard to find though the Heinz stuff is on mysupermarket but small 210g, not sure if they are cartons or tins. I prefer jars too though. The hunt is on, so will report any sightings!!
    thanks
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    I am ever hopeful the jars will appear back on Amazon some time soon! My stocks are running low! The jars are 300g size and the cartons I picked up at 10p (nearing sell by date) are 210g. I love it so much I have been known to bring a small supply back from holiday with me! I was first introduced to this a good few years ago when Delia used it in some of her "Cheat" recipes. At that time it was readily available in the supermarkets here but, alas, not now.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • dlusman
    Options
    I am ever hopeful the jars will appear back on Amazon some time soon! My stocks are running low! The jars are 300g size and the cartons I picked up at 10p (nearing sell by date) are 210g. I love it so much I have been known to bring a small supply back from holiday with me! I was first introduced to this a good few years ago when Delia used it in some of her "Cheat" recipes. At that time it was readily available in the supermarkets here but, alas, not now.

Is this not what you are looking for ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heinz-Tomato-Frito-Gluten-Pasta/dp/B00EOLNRG0/ref=pd_sim_grocery_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0364ZBXTRXYBG6GVBYFN
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Options
    Good grief that's expensive! Found this recipe on the web which you might want to try, am sure it will be a lot cheaper.
    http://www.therecipeblog.co.uk/recipes/meal-ideas/homemade-tomato-frit/
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    dlusman wrote: »

Not at £2.49 a carton with £2.67 shipping it isn't!!!!!!!!!

Last year I got 12 jars for £12 post free!
  • dlusman
    Options
    Not at £2.49 a carton with £2.67 shipping it isn't!!!!!!!!!

Last year I got 12 jars for £12 post free!

Dont shoot the messenger ! you said it wasnt available on Amazon - what you meant was it wasnt available on Amazon at a reasonable price :)
  • Grouchy
    Grouchy Posts: 439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the web options, though they are pricey!!
    Travelling do you know is the Heinz stuff smooth like passata or 'grainey' like the artesanal fritos?
    I much prefer the artesan ones, Hacendado artesana is my favourite. Not so fond of Orlando or Solis. Have yet to try other spanish brands though i am told Hida is good.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure