We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Student Loans Fake Law Firm

Options
craggle58
craggle58 Posts: 9 Forumite
I have just read the news regarding Wonga and its use of a false law firm to scare customers into repayment. The same thing used to happen with Student Loans Company.

They used to send out letters purportedly from a separate entity called Smith Lawson Company Ltd which was made to seem like an outside collection agency/solicitors. It turned out that this was infact an internal department of Student Loans Co. Ltd and a thinly veiled one at that (same initials). Before I realised the false ruse it used to cause a great deal of panic to receive these letters.

Surely this is exactly the same sort of practice that Wonga have just been ordered to compensate for. How do I go about establishing whether Student Loans Co. Ltd acted lawfully or not?

Comments

• thebritishbloke
    Options
    Why would someone receive a letter from a collections agency for Student Loans? Did you lie on your employment forms to say you never had any student loans?

You could go about contacting the BBC in regards to their most recent article and advise them on it. They might look in to it. Apart from that, I have no idea other than contacting Student Finance England, but I doubt they'd be honest about it.
    Credit 'Score' - Don't buy the credit 'score' that Experian, Equifax and Noddle want to sell you. It's an arbitrary number that means nothing when it comes to applying for credit.

ALWAYS HAVE A DIRECT DEBIT SET UP FOR THE MINIMUM PAYMENT ON YOUR CREDIT CARDS, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU PLAN TO LOGIN AND PAY EACH MONTH.
  • craggle58
    Options
    I have outstanding arrears on my Student Loans because there was a period of 2 years when they claim my loan was not deferred even though I sent in deferment forms. They sent letters as if from a seperate agency to collect the arrears.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Letters from Smith Lawson & Co say (or used to) at the bottom that:
    Smith Lawson & Company is a trading name of the Student Loans Company Limited
    VAT REG: No. 556 4352 32 Registered in England No. 2401034 Registered Office: 21 Thomas Street, Bristol BS1 6JS
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • fermi
    Options
    If you still think they are pushing the limit using such a trading name, as they do admittedly put the above in tiny writing that many would not read, then contact the FCA to see what they think.

http://www.fca.org.uk/consumers/consumer-helpline
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • phbatbjco
    phbatbjco Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    My daughter received such fake letters from this fake law firm. At the time she was suffering acute depression and also living abroad. It did nothing to help her situation and caused her even more stress. I was able to sort it out for her but it's a shoddy practice and no doubt the SLC will not be bought to book. If I as a businessman used this practice then no doubt I'd have action taken against me by my professional body. One law for arrogant government departments and another law for us mere mortals........... and Wonga!
  • craggle58
    Options
    The very fact that Student Loans Co Ltd decided to invent a fictitious body such as Smith Lawson is surely against the spirit of whatever law or regulation Wonga contravened. Their aim was to decieve and intimidate the customer regardless of the extremely small print.

I have contacted the FCA and BBC. However as the previous post inferred, Student Loans Co. Ltd have always been a law unto themselves.

Many thanks for the replies.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    craggle58 wrote: »
    The very fact that Student Loans Co Ltd decided to invent a fictitious body such as Smith Lawson is surely against the spirit of whatever law or regulation Wonga contravened. Their aim was to decieve and intimidate the customer regardless of the extremely small print.

I have contacted the FCA and BBC. However as the previous post inferred, Student Loans Co. Ltd have always been a law unto themselves.

Many thanks for the replies.
    I think not paying back legitimate debts is also against the spirit of law or regulation.
  • craggle58
    Options
    I have always paid back any loans according to the loan agreement as stipulated at the time of taking out the loan. I have also legitimately deferred the loan when my income has fallen below the repayment criteria.
  • anna2007
    anna2007 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    edited 28 June 2014 at 7:28PM
    Options
    Article published by the FT yesterday:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d9a294e2-fde7-11e3-acf8-00144feab7de.html#axzz35xUjDLRE

Fake letters scandal spreads to Student Loans Company

Graduates falling behind on debt repayments were sent threatening letters from what appears to be an independent debt collection agency – but is in fact a pseudonym for the Student Loans Company.

The revelation is awkward for Vince Cable, given that the quango falls under the remit of the Liberal Democrat business secretary, who vigorously advocates high standards in the business world.

It emerged as Wonga, the payday lender, faced the possibility of a police investigation after it was found to have sent letters from fictitious law firms pressuring customers to repay their debts.

The City of London Police said on Friday that now an agreement had been reached under which Wonga customers would be compensated for the practice, it would “reassess” whether a criminal investigation would be appropriate.

Britain’s biggest payday lender was this week ordered to pay at least £2.6m in compensation to tens of thousands of customers who received the letters.

The FT can disclose that the Office of Fair Trading intervened earlier this year to ask the Student Loans Company to change the wording on its letters because they were potentially misleading.

Letters to indebted graduates had been sent with a masthead from an agency called “Smith Lawson & Company Recovery Services”, as highlighted by the Buzzfeed news site.

Some letters used phrases such as, “We are instructed by our client”, which appeared to indicate that Smith Lawson is an independent firm. There was also a Smith Lawson email address. Phone calls on Friday to the business were met with a voicemail that did not refer to the Student Loans Company.

Only in the small print at the bottom of the letters did it say that this was a trading name for the government body. The organisations share the same registered address in Bristol.

Earlier this year the OFT – which has since been folded into a new regulator – intervened to get the SLC to change the wording of the letters. “The letters . . . are no longer issued by SLC, having been revised following discussions with the OFT earlier this year,” the quango said. “This includes reference to the word ‘client’ in communications.”

Many graduates, after receiving the letters, expressed their fears online that their debts were in the hands of an independent collection agency – unaware that Smith Lawson was merely a pseudonym for the not-for-profit government agency.

The SLC said it introduced Smith Lawson as a “cost-saving exercise” because the use of conventional debt collection agencies required the payment of commission. Asked why the SLC did not issue the letters under its own name, the agency replied: “The use of a secondary brand is part of SLC in-house recovery process, all letters issued in the initial stages of recovery are all branded Student Loans.”"
  • fermi
    Options
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts