Unusual home decor?

We have lived in our flat for over a year now and still haven't found a piece of "artwork" to finish off our living room. Does anyone have any suggestions of online places to look? We have exhausted all of the usual high street stores (Next, M&S, Ikea etc.).

We'd actually really like something african/safari inspired (think Lion King, lol) but haven't been able to find anything we like :(

Comments

• annie42
    annie42 Posts: 202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 April 2014 at 7:45PM
    Look online at allposters. They have a huge selection of posters and prints. They have a category for animal prints. There's also a sub section under figurative prints for African figurative prints. You can order the prints alone or get them framed but I think their framing service is expensive. Depending on the print size you could buy a ready made frame locally or go to a picture framer. I've bought a lot for show homes and have found the colour representations accurate. TK Maxx is worth a look if you don't want to buy online
  • I agree, TKMaxx can have some great one off stuff, especially in the clearance section, I once missed out on a gorgeous mirror framed print of Paris, dithered whether it was too heavy for my wall , and someone else snaffled it :( Also worth while trying local charity shops and car boot sales, you'll be surprised what people want to get rid of
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Can you stretch to some original artwork? I bought a fabulous watercolour from an artist called Jake Winkle a few years ago, and he had some fantastic African-inspired ones, of Masai warrior types and also big 'close-ups' of animals.
    I don't know what his current prices are, but if the originals are too much, he may do prints of them.
    You can google him to get an idea.
    (The one I bought was of racehorses galloping, and you can almost hear the thunder of the hoof beats!)
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    A Jake Winkle! You lucky so and so! I think his work is tremendous! I'd like one of his hares.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    The originals are about £700, prints £130 ish.
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Gosh, gone up since I bought mine! Obviously a good investment!
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• Hi,

You could have a look at https://www.artgallery.co.uk as they have a good mix of known and new artists so I normally manage to find something interesting (and I can search within my price range to stop myself getting carried away).
    HTH
  • I would check out a few charity shops and auctions, they can very good deals, i have seen a few african inspired ones too :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure