Is it Worth Taking Money Out of your House??

Options
We are coming to the end of a 5 YR fixed deal with Natwest. We bought are house for £160000 a great price when the market went down 5 Yrs ago!
We had a 10% deposit at the time so £16000. We now owe £140000.
Had the house valued by some agents for around £185000/£190000.

Would it be worth taking 10/13k out of the house for an extension?

My partner is no longer working so its just my wage now. :eek:

Would Natwest ask for proof of income again if we stayed with them on a new deal &OR ask for extra borrowing?

Natwest would have to value the house does anyone know how much this would be because either way the house has gone up in value & we would get a better LTV.

Any advice or experiences would be very greatful,

Many thanks guys :beer:

Comments

• ~Beanie~
    ~Beanie~ Posts: 3,043 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you ask for further borrowing, they will assess your affordability again and so you would need to earn enough to be able to satisfy their criteria on your salary alone.
    :p
  • ethank
    ethank Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Holiday Haggler I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Remember the value of the property may be lower from the lender's valuer than the agents.
  • tBagpuss_2
    Options
    As Beanie says,if you are asking for further advances they will reassess affordability.

In terms of 'is it worth it' - that's a personal matter. How important is it to you to have the extra space? Is it worth it to *you*, taking into account the extra mortgage costs?

Adding an extension to your house *might* increase the value of the house when you come to sell it, but there are no guarantees that it would increase by as much as the amount you spend on (particularly when you factor in the interest you will pay on the extra borrowing) so I would be inclined to look at it more from the perspective of:
    1. Can I afford it? If yes, then
    2. Is the benefit to me and my family worth the extra cost?

As the property has gone up in value it may also be worth looking into whether remortgaging for the same amount is worth while, given that you will now have a better LTV. If you can get a better deal you could then save the difference in payments towards an extension or other work., if you want.
  • crispy083
    Options
    Thanks for your replays guys, I thought this maybe the case!

The thing is we would still be paying less on the mortgage even if we borrowed more as the only way at the time was to go on a fixed for 5 yrs on a daft 7.25%.

So they would still ask for income, affordability? Right? Even though we will be paying less no matter what!?

It would still be worth getting a valuation for a remortgage, I take it?
    Does anyone know the cost of this as it doesn't seem to state & there isn't a free valuation. :eek:

Cheers again guys
  • Frugalsod
    Frugalsod Posts: 2,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would still be very very cautious as house prices are very high compared to incomes and if there is a housing slump then you could be in serious trouble.
    If you have sufficient equity to cover a significant drop in house prices and an increase in interest rates then go ahead. I do not see a slump in housing for a couple of years but interest rates will rise eventually and could you cope then?
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
  • crispy083
    Options
    I agree, think the best bet is maybe just to try & remortgage at a better LTV as after doing some research houses the same on are raod have sold for between 176 to 186 in the last 12 months.

We currently pay 951 :eek:

if we can get a better LTV 80/85% could be paying 571:jfixed

& if we could borrow 10/13k around 668 fixed

expanding family, expanding space would be ideal!

Even though we would be paying alot less would they STILL ask for proof of income, seems such a ball ache! :mad:

Still no clue on how much a valuation would cost either way. :(

Thanks again for your replys, has made me put my thinking cap on :idea:
  • holly_hobby
    holly_hobby Posts: 5,363 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Also be aware of the new Mortgage Market Regulations due for implementation in April 2014, which is placing high responsibility on the lender for much more robust emphasis on affordability assessment.

This will also include a stress test (ie which is to verify the mortgagor being able to afford the mge post cessation of any product rate), which means that this could be a future factor that stagnates or even drives down prices as less peeps will meet the tighter restrictions for higher lending ..... (although TBH mges were assessed this way, with low multiples before the massive boom, which was fuelled by easier and higher lending availability and BTL demand).

So just be mindful of this if you're increasing your mortgage to high'ish levels, as although the above re the MMR fallout is a guess from my part, I just think it may be worth treading carefully re how much pressure you put on yourselves and home value, as you won't want to end up at parity or even neg equity as a result of the new regs depressing future demand and values (although of course what you may lose on the swings you may gain on the roundabouts !)

This post is really just to advise you to be cautious increasing your mge debt .... esp if you income is limited (ie you won't be able to throw money at the debt to reduce the LTV)

Holly x
  • Frugalsod
    Frugalsod Posts: 2,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think that the tougher mortgage restrictions are long overdue. It might end this stupid idea that housing is a one way bet. Eventually housing has to get back to sustainable levels and that could be 50% below where they are now.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Don't get too excited. The Estate Agent tells you what he thinks you want to hear to get the sale contract.

The valuer's opinion is what counts.

Check on Zoopla what similar to properties in your area are actually selling for.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • crispy083
    Options
    Managed to get a phone appointment with Natwest. Gettin the house revalued at a cost of £242, which hopefully should be worth it as the houses next door sold for 176 & 186 in the last 12 months. Will the valuation take these prices into account to? Hoping we get a valuation of 185 at least.

This should enable better LTV!

If we did get a better LTV could we take some of the money out to do an extension? Will they ask for income proof as are current deal is due in march & we are staying with Natwest!?

Also is it worth remortgaging online with them? Looks simple!

Thanks for any advice ppl
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport