Goodwillie & Corcoran advice

Options
Hello,

Almost 2 years ago I moved out of my property and gave eastleigh council my parents address as a forwarding address for any mail as i hadnt moved into my new property at that point.

I hadsince been contacted by goodwillie & corcoran regarding an unpaid council tax debt. I have paid the original debt to eastleigh council direct but goodwillie &corcoran are still after £45 from me which is their fees.

My question is can they charge me these fees as they visited and sent letters to my parents house and not myself. They are aware I do not live at that property and live in cornwall but they still sent letters and visited anyway?

Comments

• maghater
    maghater Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry I would reckon yes, you gave your parents address as a point of contact for yourself. You could argue that you never received any correspondence from G&C, but it would be difficult t prove. You could also try and stall them, don't know if it would be worthwhile for them to chase such a small amount through the small claims court, so you could hang on and see if they send you a notice before action. If I was you, I would just stump up, not worth the worry or the agro to hold out
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    The fees for bailiffs collecting council tax are set by statute. Two visits would be £42.50. It's probably reasonable (just) for them to believe that you might have had goods at that address.

If that is the figure, it is probably legitimate but they would have no warrant in relation to fees alone so as above would have to go through the small claims route. If you get a claim, pay it. If anyone turns up at your present address as things stand, they would have no added rights apart from asking if you can pay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure