Sofa Loose covers

Options
Hi

I have 2 x 2 seater sofas that need re-covering.

Does anyome know where best (cheapest!) to buy covers.

Or do you have any other recommendations on how to do this (ie plumbs type place or DIY job?)

thank you

Any help/ Advice appreciated!

Gus
Gus~Honey~Bun :)
Live and Let Live!

Comments

• dragonfly02
    dragonfly02 Posts: 748 Forumite
    Options
    hi there, i had exactly the same problem some months back. I was trawling through ebay but they are impossible to find and for £100 for 1 large sofa i was not going to buy them from argos.
    I thought i'd give making them myself a bash and with the aid of a pattern i've done pretty good so far, I bought the pattern from a lady on ebay, it was for a loose cover.
    i bought some cheap calico to cover it with for now and that was 99p per meter so all in it cost me about £25 to cover the sofa.
    My intention now is to sepnd a little more money on a strong material and use my old original sofa covers as a template so then i will have a brand new tailored sofa covers and a loose throw over cover to use when the tailored one is in the wash.
    I only know the basics of how to use my sewing machine and i found it quite simple to do. I enjoyed it soo much that i now have new cusion covers and have made roman blinds for every room lol

here is a link to the ebay shop i bought the patterns from
    Running total for swagbucks - £270 since Jan
    Running total for superpoints -

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• gushoneybun
    Options
    Thanks Dragonfly :-)

I looked at the pattern, but I really would like a more fitted cover. (awkward aren't I !!!)

But i do see what you are saying about this enabling me to remove the original covers are use them as a pattern for a more fitted set....just whether I can manage it or not!!!

I have a sewing machine, just need the patience, knowledge and skill!!!

Gus :-)
    Gus~Honey~Bun :)
    Live and Let Live!
  • dragonfly02
    dragonfly02 Posts: 748 Forumite
    Options
    the ebay shop i bought the pattern from does also sell fitted covers, they are much nicer than the loose cover pattern she has at the moment, i guess she varies her stock, one thing i will say though is if you manage to buy a pattern for a more fitted sofa cover, it only indicates how to measure the different sections for your sofa and helps you decide how much material to use, there is no actual pattern as all sofa's are different but i guess its worth a try, you never know you might like it hehehe.
    But anyway getting back to your question, i don't think you will find anywhere "cheap" to buy one i tried eveywhere
    Running total for swagbucks - £270 since Jan
    Running total for superpoints -

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• blue-kat
    blue-kat Posts: 453 Forumite
    Options
    have you tried BEMZ?
    they do covers for ikea furniture in range of colours/patterns, and you can order 5 swatches for free :)

I have an ikea-style chair (similar to Tullsta) and wondering whether to buy from Benz or try to make a pattern from torn cover.
    -
  • HLK
    HLK Posts: 978 Forumite
    Options
    I ended up going with Plumbs - but their top of the range stuff.. great finish - all I can say though is that they sub-contract out to a local craftsman who did a beautiful job - gave me his phone number for next time.. I was being quoted 2k + (v large sofas ) and I ended up paying 1500 with plumbs - but we are not talking cheap cotton covers here.. my sofas look just as good as when I bought them 17 years ago - I paid 1500 for them then which I know was a lot but 17 years - 2 kids a dog - overnight guests ...
    Very happy with Plumbs but I could have saved a lot if I found that craftsman myself - it wasn't for the want of trying believe me..
    I now have removable covers , that go in the washing machine but also look great.
    HLK

"Karma - it's a wonderful thing" - Just ask Earl!
  • kelkar
    Options
    We were contemplating buying a new suite. However, we became aware of a funriture cover sale offered by Plumbs - they advertise widely in the national press.

The covers in the pictures looked stunning. We were also persuaded by a visiting Home Consultant that furniture covers were a good altenative to buying new furniture. We were shown covers that would have cost up to several thousand pounds - we could not believe some of the prices they were quoting to us. Anyhow, we opted for a sale purchase of several hundred pounds instead.

I do not know whether it is because we did not buy top of the range stuff but our fitted covers look nothing like those in the adverts. They are ill-fitting and tight - to the extent that they look shabby. When tackled about this customer services say that they are only covers and they need regular re-adjustment to ensure a good fit. We are regulaly adjusting the covers every few days to get a reasonable fit. The re-adjustment process - believe it or not- involves taking out and replacing large lengths of foam deep into the furniture crevices - a tiring procedure, to say the least.

All in all, we feel that the furniture covers from Plumbs represents poor value for money. If we had the sort of money being asked for their top of the range stuff - we would be buying new furniture. Those at the lower end are best advised to buy some new throw-overs - you will save a whole lot of money in the process!
  • kittiwoz
    kittiwoz Posts: 1,321 Forumite
    Options
    I would suggest you contact a local seamstress to make the loose covers for you. If you are in the Rotherham/ Sheffield area then PM me and I'll give you a number for my aunt. Otherwise try the phone directory/yellow pages/thomson local.

If you want to have a go at making your own there is a good online tutorial at http://slipcover.vrya.net. It's not the simplest job so I wouldn't recommend it as a first sewing project
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure