Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 15th May 07, 12:57 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Hilary buy Chelsea's fags for her?
    • 15th May 07, 12:57 PM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Hilary buy Chelsea's fags for her? 15th May 07 at 12:57 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Should Hilary buy Chelsea's fags for her?

Hilary is nipping off to Spain for a long weekend; her daughter Chelsea wants her to buy 40 packets of cigarettes as they're a fraction of the price over there and she'll save serious cash. Yet Hilary hates smoking and especiallyhe fact Chelsea smokes in the house where her 5 year old son (and Hilary's grandson) little Bill lives; however if she doesn't buy them Chelsea will buy them elsewhere and they'll be much more costly.

Enter the Money Moral Maze: Should Hilary buy Chelsea's fags for her?

Previous MMDs: Should Victor use his local pharmacist?, Should Frodo give Sam the money?

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 15-05-2007 at 8:55 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 1
    • meerustar
    • By meerustar 15th May 07, 8:02 PM
    • 7,977 Posts
    • 20,015 Thanks
    meerustar
    • 15th May 07, 8:02 PM
    • 15th May 07, 8:02 PM
    Hilary should buy the cigs as Chelsea would buy them anyway ... on the promise that Chelsea doesn't smoke in front of her child and the money saved goes on a day out for him
  • stogiebear
    • 16th May 07, 1:27 AM
    • 16th May 07, 1:27 AM
    Get her the ciggies... Chelsea won't change her habits because her friend Hilary tried to impose a moral will on her.

I, too, dislike smoking and it makes me sick if I get too close to it. But, hey... a friend is a friend and if she wants to smoke in front of her kid, why not...

It only started being dangerous about 15 years ago!!! Most of us were raised quite healthily in smoke filled houses before these new fangled dangers were invented.

By the way - I don't have friends that smoke. It's a character flaw as far as I'm concerned and I have no interested in druggies, drunks and other wastrels... and that includes smokers.
    • alangent
    • By alangent 16th May 07, 7:30 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    alangent
    • 16th May 07, 7:30 AM
    • 16th May 07, 7:30 AM
    absolutely not. If she wants to smoke buy them herself
  • Lard
    • 16th May 07, 7:52 AM
    • 16th May 07, 7:52 AM
    No dilema here at all. Fags are cheaper abroad as they dont have so much tax added. If we all buy fags from abroad the chancellor will have to get the money from somewhere else. So everybody will pay more tax. I'm happy that smokers pay so much, in fact the amount of fags that can be brought in from abroad should be restricted so they have to pay more. The places they can smoke now are being restricted, they are hounded from every angle to give up, but at what price to the rest of us? Let them smoke themselves to death while they keep paying all that tax.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • arthur dent
    • 16th May 07, 8:34 AM
    • 16th May 07, 8:34 AM
    She should buy as many as she legally can. Smokers are very heavily taxed by this government and if they can get away with paying a bit less every now and then why not. Any moral objection isn't really relevant as she would do it with or without the cheap fags.

I am a non smoker.
    Loving the dtd thread. x

• penny.wright
    • 16th May 07, 9:17 AM
    • 16th May 07, 9:17 AM
    No, she shouldn't buy cigarettes for friends or relatives, and her daughter shouldn't expose her child to 'passive smoking' which does damage health.

In towns near Dover most cigarettes are bought abroad. A friend said she wouldn't smoke if she couldn't buy the cheaper ones - she was probably deluding herself, though.
    Last edited by penny.wright; 16-05-2007 at 9:24 AM. Reason: to make clearer point
    • wildchild
    • By wildchild 16th May 07, 9:25 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    wildchild
    • 16th May 07, 9:25 AM
    • 16th May 07, 9:25 AM
    No Hilary shouldn't buy Chelsea the ciggies - that would be condoning the smoking and that's the only thing Chelsea would latch on to and register. I agree that smokers should keep paying the taxes over here, and maybe, just maybe, the extra cost will make her start thinking about cutting down (preferably in front of the child will be first to go), but I have no objection to her smoking herself to death - it's her life so her right and her choice, just as long as she doesn't do it near me!
    • joannie
    • By joannie 16th May 07, 9:28 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    joannie
    • 16th May 07, 9:28 AM
    • 16th May 07, 9:28 AM
    I have been in this situation and refused to buy cigarettes. She should absolutely refuse too.
    • eileenfromplaistow
    • By eileenfromplaistow 16th May 07, 9:36 AM
    • 532 Posts
    • 606 Thanks
    eileenfromplaistow
    Let's face it, having 40 packets on tap will result in her smoking more, whereas cost is a limiting factor in this country. So they wouldn't work out that much cheaper anyway.
    I would NOT enable her addiction by buying them.
    • Beate
    • By Beate 16th May 07, 9:38 AM
    • 3,521 Posts
    • 4,198 Thanks
    Beate
    I hate cigarettes and what they do to people so if someone asked me to buy them some, I would absolutely refuse to do so. I do not have to fuel other people's addictions, and I don't care whether Chelsea would have to buy them more expensive elsewhere. To be honest, they should pay as much as possible for their filthy habit. If Hilary thinks that smoking is wrong the only morally right thing to do is to refuse.
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 16th May 07, 9:50 AM
    • 6,456 Posts
    • 3,170 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    I'm a smoker.

Hilary should
    1) Not get her daughter fags. Hilary doesn't like smoking, in fact detests it. And (privately apparently) objects to her daughter smoking in front of the 5 yr old. (It amazes me that people still do this.)

2) Have a word with her daughter about smoking in front of the 5 yr old.

What she should not do is attempt to use the fags as a bribe to stop her daughter smoking in front of the 5yr old. It'd work for as long as the fags lasted.

(In reality, if mother won't buy them, I'm sure Chealsea could find another person to acquire cheap(er) fags from.)
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • Judith Proctor
    Cost is the main factor in persuading people to give up smoking. Whenever the price goes up, more people give up.

Therefore, buying her daughter cheap fags will only increase the chance of her smoking more of them.

Besides, buying them is also tacit approval of the habit.
    • nikki1520
    • By nikki1520 16th May 07, 10:06 AM
    • 504 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    nikki1520
    Hilary should also bear in mind that she may well open herself up to charges from Customs by doing this - if she bought them as a gift then this is not the case, but if she accepts money for them, even at cost, then this is a big problem. At the very least, the fags would be confiscated and she'd lose the money she'd paid for them.

As well as this, if Chelsea was a drug addict, would she ask her mum to pick up some cheap crack for her if she was visiting Columbia, if her mum disapproved of her habit - exactly the same thing really.

As for smoking in front of the kid, can I just say, NO NO NO!!!!! The poor child hasn't chosen to smoke!! I have no objection to people ruining thier own health, but as a smoker myself, I would rather not inflict my habit on others.
  • jonven
    Yes she should get her the cigs, as long as its the legal amount to bring in, but make it clear she smokes them outside of the house and away from the little one
    Penny Pinching Pauline
    • curriej99
    • By curriej99 16th May 07, 10:21 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    curriej99
    Hark at me!
    Get her the ciggies... Chelsea won't change her habits because her friend Hilary tried to impose a moral will on her.

I, too, dislike smoking and it makes me sick if I get too close to it. But, hey... a friend is a friend and if she wants to smoke in front of her kid, why not...

It only started being dangerous about 15 years ago!!! Most of us were raised quite healthily in smoke filled houses before these new fangled dangers were invented.

By the way - I don't have friends that smoke. It's a character flaw as far as I'm concerned and I have no interested in druggies, drunks and other wastrels... and that includes smokers.
    Originally posted by stogiebear
    I think your last sentence here smacks of self-righteousness. Smokers are not wasteful no-hopers as you imply, but unfortunately have become hooked on something they'd rather not. This does not affect their ability to function in society. I suspect your ability however, to do so is flawed as your uptightness reeks of someone I would not like to hang out with for more than a few seconds. Go back to your jigsaw puzzles, please.
  • mmillie
    If she buys the cigarettes, she is condoning her daughter's behaviour. Since she clearly does not like smoking, and does not agree with the daughter smoking in front of her grandson, she should not encourage it or make it easy for her daughter to smoke. The cost is meant to be a discouragement, so don't bypass it.
  • Money_saving_Martyn
    I'm a money saver through and through and I never give up the chance to help someone save even just a couple of quid, however, whenever I go abroad and people ask me to get them some "cheap ciggies" I always refuse without pausing for reflection.

I would not help anyone continue an addiction, whether it be class A drugs, smoking or chocolate hob-nobs. And if they come back with the "oh, I thought you were into that saving money lark, " - I just remind them that I don't smoke.

This addiction is only viewed differently to drugs, because it's legal, yet it is arguably more dangerous than some illegal substances. I agree with the post about "ciggies" being taxed for a reason. No figures to hand, but I'd guess that it costs the NHS something to treat smoking related illnesses. And I'm sure that smokers pay more for private medical insurance.... (Little tangent here but still)... so doesn't it make sense for smokers to be taxed on something specific to them - cigarettes?
    Please note: I am NOT Martin Lewis, just somebody else called Martyn that likes money saving!
    • Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 16th May 07, 11:50 AM
    • 19,555 Posts
    • 25,525 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat
    Hillary shouldn't buy Chelsea the cigarettes for several reasons
    1) if Chelsea wants to kill herself by smoking thats her choice, why aid and abett her
    2) why the hell should she buy them for her anyway ?
    3) she'd be doing a service for her grandson by depriving her mother of cheap cigarettes that she would lovingly 'share' with hin 2nd hand.
  • suzithefloozy
    Yes I think she should buy them - it will be saving her daughter money and she'll only buy them anyway. I hate smoking too, but my husband is a smoker and I happen to know it is reckoned to be the most addictive thing so she'll not likely give up just because her mother wouldn't buy them for her from abroad for moral reasons
    Trust me - I'm a scientist!!!

Mortgage - too big to comprehend!

CC debt - none!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,064Posts Today

7,370Users online

Martin's Twitter