Countrywide/Bridgfords 'stealing' payslips?

Options
Hi there,

My husband and I are first time buyers and when looking at houses through Bridgfords I was roped into seeing their in house mortgage advisor from Countrywide.

Initially I was impressed as I was a bit clueless about the whole process and she was really helpful so before we were due to make a final offer on a house my husband and I went in with all our documents, passports, utilities, bank statements, payslips (which she took away to photocopy) and she had a look at what we could afford and the best deals for us. She also spoke with the estate agent selling the property we wanted and helped us fix the price of our final offer, which turned out to be only £500 higher than the other couple who wanted it, so we were grateful for her help.

However, when I spoke to the vending estate agent after the offer had been accepted he asked if I knew there was a charge for the service that sometimes they don't disclose till the very end. It had been implied that it was all free of charge working on commission so I was slightly bothered by her not being upfront, but still willing (and feeling slightly obliged) to go with her if she had the best deals.

We still thought it wise to get a second opinion so I arranged a meeting with an independent broker. It was when I came to produce our documents for him that I found all three wage slips we had taken to Bridgfords/countrywide were missing.

I had taken everything to Bridgfords in a plastic document wallet (the type that is like an envelope and seals at the front with a press stud) and when she came back with the wad of documents and handed them to me I just put the pile straight back in the folder. The folder was put on the table when we got home and untouched until the meeting with the other broker. (I know with the benefit of hindsight I should have checked they were all there before leaving the office, but you live, you learn!)

I wouldn't have thought of accusing her but when I explained to the other broker why I didn't have my husbands payslips he said that he used to work for Bridgfords and its a common tactic of theirs to get you to use their service!!

I was very shocked, but unsure whether he was just trying to put me off them to take my custom!!

I spoke to her since on the phone and asked nicely if 'we' had 'accidentally left them there' but after going to check she said the only thing she had were the photocopies, no originals.

We have no proof whatsoever, but I really can't think of any other way all three payslips could have disappeared, and the other broker has made me even more suspicious!

If anyone has any info/advice we'd be very grateful!

Comments

• bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ask her for the photocopies, or a least copies of them. It may help with the other company.
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Get the copies, but also ask your employers for copies.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Let_Us_See
    Let_Us_See Posts: 1,319 Forumite
    Options
    However, when I spoke to the vending estate agent after the offer had been accepted he asked if I knew there was a charge for the service that sometimes they don't disclose till the very end. It had been implied that it was all free of charge working on commission so I was slightly bothered by her not being upfront, but still willing (and feeling slightly obliged) to go with her if she had the best deals.

At your first discussion the mortgage adviser should have presented you with an Initial Disclosure Document (IDD), which is a FSA regulation, confirming their level of service and any cost/fees involved.
    but still willing (and feeling slightly obliged) to go with her if she had the best deals.

What lead you to believe she had the best deals?
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Never trust an EA.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • R_P_W
    R_P_W Posts: 1,505 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It can be quite confusing and daunting as a first time buyer - so please dont take offence to what I say below....

So before you had made an offer on the property you meet with their mortgage 'advisor' and furnish them with all your financial information. So they know from this how high you can offer from this point.

I dont think the mortgage 'advisor' was helping you at all really. Helping themselves maybe with the estate agent to get the hightest offer possible out of you (but hey I guess that is their job). In all likihood there was no other couple that made an offer on the house - but you left probably feeling that you secured the house you wanted and it only cost you £500?
  • Hazzoura22
    Options
    [QUOTE=
    What lead you to believe she had the best deals?[/QUOTE]

I was just saying 'if'...that's why we thought we'd get a second and 3rd opinion. We've ended up being recommended a broker with no upfront fee who is quoting the deals over the phone so going to see them tomorrow :)
  • Hazzoura22
    Hazzoura22 Posts: 47 Forumite
    edited 7 February 2013 at 12:17PM
    Options
    R_P_W wrote: »
    It can be quite confusing and daunting as a first time buyer - so please dont take offence to what I say below....

So before you had made an offer on the property you meet with their mortgage 'advisor' and furnish them with all your financial information. So they know from this how high you can offer from this point.

I dont think the mortgage 'advisor' was helping you at all really. Helping themselves maybe with the estate agent to get the hightest offer possible out of you (but hey I guess that is their job). In all likihood there was no other couple that made an offer on the house - but you left probably feeling that you secured the house you wanted and it only cost you £500?

I admit to being quite naive in general anyway (lol) but that did cross my mind and I would have had serious doubts if it was Bridgfords selling the property, but it was a totally separate EA (who since warned me off Bridgfords and Countrywide) so I don't think they were in cahoots....

Thanks everyone for the advice so far....although I was hoping for any more insider info on Countrywide...
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Countrywide;-

- has a small panel of lenders and isn't whole market
    - charges clients a fee and receives commission from lenders
    - uses lenders who supply survey work to their survey arm
    - pushes its expensive in-house conveyancing service
    - has a single tie for life and health insurance products
    - has a single tie for "general" insurances.

I can't imagine what attraction there could be for a potential customer...

... and it "looks after" your payslips and bank statements if you allow it. Making it difficult if you want to go elsewhere.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Hazzoura22
    Options
    So it is known to 'look after' things for you???? It's not us being overly suspicious????
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I believe some agents' advisers are trained to obtain as much documentation as they can at the outset and by keeping it safe for you, as they put it, they try to prevent you from going elsewhere; or at least get a chance to prevent you looking when you ask for your docs to be returned.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure