Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Ross2452
    • By Ross2452 5th Dec 12, 4:01 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 9Thanks
    Scotland Council Tax & Waste/Water
    • #1
    • 5th Dec 12, 4:01 PM
    Scotland Council Tax & Waste/Water 5th Dec 12 at 4:01 PM
    Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, couldn't find a better place.

    Hi all,

    I have been trying to sort out the mess that is my Council tax arrears.

    I share a flat with a full time student. I used to be on JSA(IB), then working for a bit, then self employed and now I'm a full time student.

    My flatmate has been a FT student since we moved in 4 years ago, he has never been included on any council tax bills. They are fully aware he is my joint tenant and has student exemption.

    If everybody is liable for waste/water charges then does this mean he should be liable for 50% of the charges?

    If I was on JSA(IB) then why am I liable for waste/water and a FT student is not?

    I have been a FT student since Aug 2011. So who now pays the waste/water bills? It seems very unfair and unlikely that as he was a student first he is exempt from waste/water rates and I'm not?

    I've had over 50 council tax bills sent to me over the past 4 years, each with different (incorrect) figures. It got so overwhelming that I gave up about 2 years ago and buried my head in the sand. The debt was passed to Scott & Co (sheriff officers) and I agreed to pay 40/month.

    I recently got fed up being out of control and requested the final bills for previous years. I have done my sums and it would appear they are wanting an extra 2300 off me that I don't owe (4000 total). This includes roughly 300 of statutory additions. If I can proove that their bills have been consistently wrong do you think I can get out of paying the statutory additions?

    So to summarise:
    • If I am on JSA(IB) and my joint tenant is a FT student, who pays for the waste/water?
    • If two students are joint tenants who pays for the waste/water?
    • If the council have consistently sent out wrong bills and then added statutory additions for these incorrect bills, am I still liable to pay?
    Thanks in advance for any help!

    Kind Regards, Ross.
Page 1
    • CIS
    • By CIS 5th Dec 12, 6:15 PM
    • 10,480 Posts
    • 6,053 Thanks
    • #2
    • 5th Dec 12, 6:15 PM
    • #2
    • 5th Dec 12, 6:15 PM
    50 bills could only have been sent if there were numerous changes to the council tax account , most likely due to council tax benefit.

    I'd find it unlikely that 50 wrong bills were issued, most likely they were issued and then circumstances changed to they then had to issue an amended bill.

    As far as the law is concerned a council tax bill must be paid as stated until a revised bill is issued to correct any calculations made in the previous one - the council tax doesn't become unrecoverable
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a self employed Council Tax specialist. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • Ross2452
    • By Ross2452 9th Dec 12, 8:02 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    • #3
    • 9th Dec 12, 8:02 PM
    • #3
    • 9th Dec 12, 8:02 PM
    Thanks for your answer.

    You are correct, a lot of them were due to changes to the account. They were constantly messing up the CT benefit and on several bills the CT rate was wrong (2010 rate for 2011).

    Any advice on the Water/Waste rates?
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 9th Dec 12, 8:07 PM
    • 12,322 Posts
    • 59,551 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    • #4
    • 9th Dec 12, 8:07 PM
    • #4
    • 9th Dec 12, 8:07 PM
    Water / waste rates are only collected by Councils - they do not set the charges.

    If you're disputing these, you may have to contact SW directly
    Grocery Challenge 211/455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: 125/250
    1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 3.96 / 1,000
    Vet Fund: 410.93 / 1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

942Posts Today

7,044Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin