ikea delivery

Options
hi, wondering if anyone has used the ikea delivery service, as am getting two sofas next week and i need to get them delivered. will have young baby in tow, so am wondering just how helpful the staff are going to be and if they are going to make me get said sofas and take them to the tills, then to the delivery section. have absolutely no idea on price of delivery, so if you excuse the waffling, that it what i am asking. i know it depends on store/ where i live etc. but would love an idea before i go to store. i live approx 35 miles from store, in the north east! sofas are only £69 each, so dont want to pay a fortune for delivery!

Comments

• ruffmeister
    Options
    delivery for us was £35 for about 20-30 miles, customer services for ikea said its 48 hour delivery, we went down to order the sofas etc and the delivery people then say 24 hours for delivery. so back we come the next day and get it delievered, they said yes 100% definite delivery for the next day. We wait all the next day and nothing comes at all, then they dont deliver on sundays so there went another day. finally, 54 hours after paying and ordering the delivery it turns up, no apology from delivery, no apology from ikea store and no apology from ikea customer services. you can tell what i think of their delivery
  • Hourglass
    Options
    I have used the Ikea delivery sofa to get a sofa bed delivered to me that cost about £200. The delivery was £75 which was about an hr, 30mins round trip from the store. As I have a small car and on my own I had little choice. The drivers were really nice and put it where I wanted it and even phoned before they arrived to give me some notice. To order is fairly simple, you I had to order from an information point which produced a printout of the order which was scanned at the tills. I then went to the Home Delivery point and arrranged the best time. They were next day delivery for me and they would delivery anything else too on the same order if you wanted. You can call the numbers in the back of the catalogue to get an idea on price.

Any more queries let me know.
  • Claire_DC
    Claire_DC Posts: 1,269 Forumite
    Options
    They use a courier service for in store deliveries, if you order before about 3pm (i think) then you can have it delivered the same day!

We sorted ours out at about 10pm and it was delivered the next day AM... no problems with it here.
    Lost lbs =
    Gained £s = Quidco £261.90, Free Fivers £22.26, Matched Betting
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    The East Midlands + Cambridgeshire are now piloting Shop Online, so maybe you can order on the internet ?

http://www.ikeapostcodecheck.co.uk/
  • jetcat
    jetcat Posts: 746 Forumite
    Options
    thanks guys. was budgeting for around £40, so hopefully it shouldnt be much more than that! checked online, not available yet but coming soon! brilliant news, as want loads of stuff from ikea, but always worried about getting stuff home! if anyone knows of a sofa for about the same price (under £100) that i can order online, would be very greatful!
  • keelykat
    keelykat Posts: 3,341 Forumite
    Options
    Personally i think ikea delivery is a rip off, they are quite useless really when it comes to helping you (my dad struggled by himself for ages trying to move a heavy mattress and bedframe, no one even bothered to help, he had to call someone in the end who didnt seem to keen). I hate the fact you have to go in and take the stuff to the tills first then to the delivery part... we were lucky in the sense that when we moved house, we hired the van for the whole weekend and picked up a lot of furniture that weekend. saved us money, and my dad came and helped up. i wouldnt go with a baby in tow, not if alone... id get someone to go with you and watch him/her.

keelykat.
    Mommy to Elliot (5) and Lewis (born xmas eve 11!)
  • paul.carter
    Options
    keelykat wrote:
    Personally i think ikea delivery is a rip off, they are quite useless really when it comes to helping you (my dad struggled by himself for ages trying to move a heavy mattress and bedframe, no one even bothered to help, he had to call someone in the end who didnt seem to keen). I hate the fact you have to go in and take the stuff to the tills first then to the delivery part... we were lucky in the sense that when we moved house, we hired the van for the whole weekend and picked up a lot of furniture that weekend. saved us money, and my dad came and helped up. i wouldnt go with a baby in tow, not if alone... id get someone to go with you and watch him/her.

keelykat.

Had similar experience with delivery as inlaws took in order. Everything was dumped in the hall blocking front door and it's a wide hall. Also mattress was in clear cover and you could see a great big rip with stuffing coming out. One big item also had gash in it when opened. Very difficult to organise replacement, spent ages on the phone, we'll ring you back, never did etc. Pretty inept. Upside was that when I eventually got it sorted I ended up with a redelivery but they didn't pick up what they were supposed to. Mattress had to be binned but other item, which was quite expensive was repaired with gash hidden against a wall. They tried to deliver a third three weeks later, was tempted but was worried that they'd cotton on that I'd got three for one. I would use again, with trepidation, but you need to be on the ball when they do deliver so that you get all items in good order.
    Blitzkreig Bob says Hi to those checking his validity!
  • pinkzebra
    Options
    We had a great experience with the delivery service last year. We paid for our items and went to the delivery area. The man said that they could deliver the same day! We drove straight home, and our items got delivered about half an hour later!

That was from the store at Brent park, Neasden. I think it cost about £20 (we live about 12 miles away).
  • fruitcake_2
    Options
    Used the delivery service, from the Warrington branch to manchester for a sofa, two months ago. Three men turned up, couldn't manage to get the sofa through a communal hallway so gave up after trying for a good five minutes....got refund minus £50...!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure