Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Lee
    Real Life MMD: Should I help debt agency find colleague?
    • 1st Sep 11, 2:52 PM
    Real Life MMD: Should I help debt agency find colleague? 1st Sep 11 at 2:52 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I help debt agency find colleague?

Over the past year I have received many calls and messages from a debt management company for a work colleague who used to have my extension number, but now works in another department. Ive passed on the messages to my colleague and asked her to return the calls, and have told the debt agency that the phone number's no longer correct (but didn't tell them she still works here). Should I give the debt agency her correct telephone number, or ask whether shes managed to straighten things out with them?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Page 1
    • scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 6th Sep 11, 10:25 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    scotsbob
    • 6th Sep 11, 10:25 PM
    • 6th Sep 11, 10:25 PM
    What goes around comes around. You grass someone up and it could probably happen to you one day. Send a request to the agency, in writing, that they stop harassing you.
    • Pmarmalade
    • By Pmarmalade 6th Sep 11, 10:27 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    Pmarmalade
    • 6th Sep 11, 10:27 PM
    • 6th Sep 11, 10:27 PM
    Stop fielding their calls. Tell them she's not on this number now and to stop calling it. After that I'd just start saying that sharply and hanging up. Don't get yourself involved.

I don't believe they should be contacting her in work anyway, it's using you company's time.
    • iclayt
    • By iclayt 6th Sep 11, 11:17 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 823 Thanks
    iclayt
    • 6th Sep 11, 11:17 PM
    • 6th Sep 11, 11:17 PM
    No not at all, it's their responsibility to track her down, it's nothing to do with you. If you have requested them to stop calling that phoneline, they should remove it from their records.
    • kevanf1
    • By kevanf1 6th Sep 11, 11:25 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    kevanf1
    • 6th Sep 11, 11:25 PM
    • 6th Sep 11, 11:25 PM
    Absolutely not! These debt management companies are nothing more than parasitic money grabbers. They go around buying up people's debts however small they are. Often the people in debt are paying back what they owe (this is sometimes dubious and I have proof of this in my own family) but it's not enough for the original debtee. The debt management company pay the original debtee a portion of what they are supposedly owed because they are not really bothered and have probably got back more than they were originally owed anyway all that's left is now extra interest. Anyway, the debt management company then start hassling the debtor with threats of court action and/or bailiffs turning up on the doorstep. They add to the original debt their fees. The original debtor ends up paying out more.

My view is that this should be made illegal.
    Kevan - a disabled old so and so who, despite being in pain 24/7 still manages to smile as much as possible
    • pennypinchUK
    • By pennypinchUK 6th Sep 11, 11:31 PM
    • 382 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    pennypinchUK
    • 6th Sep 11, 11:31 PM
    • 6th Sep 11, 11:31 PM
    You've done your bit by telling the debt collector their information is out of date and by advising your colleague. You've no idea whether the debt collector is chasing a legitimate debt. Leave it alone now, or you'll simply be meddling in something that's not your business.
    • Tiptaker
    • By Tiptaker 7th Sep 11, 7:02 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    Tiptaker
    • 7th Sep 11, 7:02 AM
    • 7th Sep 11, 7:02 AM
    It's none of your business, you've made her aware they have called, end of story - if she had left the company completely you wouldn't be able to tell them where she was anyway. Giving them the information probably falls foul of the data protection act. Tell them if they keep phoning you will report them for harassment.
    • deborah007
    • By deborah007 7th Sep 11, 7:21 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 493 Thanks
    deborah007
    • 7th Sep 11, 7:21 AM
    • 7th Sep 11, 7:21 AM
    As Tiptaker says giving them information as to her whereabouts is potentially disclosing information that is protected under the Data Protection Act. They are just being lazy in any case - they could go through to your switchboard or something and ask if she still works for the company.

Make a record of each call and ask the callers for their company details, then advise your supervisor that you are receiving calls and ask if they would like to write to the Company and tell them to stop harassing the Company's staff - if it comes from the Company it may have more weight - after all the debt collectors probably don't believe that you are not your colleague, or connected to them in some way.

HTH

D x
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 7th Sep 11, 7:33 AM
    • 6,903 Posts
    • 9,105 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 7th Sep 11, 7:33 AM
    • 7th Sep 11, 7:33 AM
    The Data Protection Act doesn't apply to private individuals, so you wouldn't fall foul of it.

It may be worth speaking to your colleague once more and telling her that you are still getting these calls, and that you will have to refer it to HR or your manager because it is disrupting your ability to work. This may encourage her to address the issue.
    • cazpost
    • By cazpost 7th Sep 11, 8:06 AM
    • 109 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    cazpost
    I would have thought it was obvious,don't get involved! You've told the woman that they are trying to find her, and you have told them they have the wrong number,thats all you need to do.
    If they ring you again, ask for their full details, then get your boss, HR or whoever to write to them and tell them to stop ringing.
    You don't know if these people are genuine or if she really does owe them money.It's none of your business,so stay out of it
  • Fury
    The Data Protection Act doesn't apply to private individuals, so you wouldn't fall foul of it.
    Originally posted by TBagpuss
    Not sure how true this is. The company is phoning your workplace for this information and you are acting as an agent for your company. I believe this falls within data protection rules, another reason not to hand out information!
    • joannie
    • By joannie 7th Sep 11, 8:45 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    joannie
    Well. sorry folks, I think she should give them any info she has. Her friend has had and spent the money. It is us as honest citizens that end up paying higher costs because of those who do not pay back what they owe.
  • shazpea
    no. don't be that person. imagine the backlash that would have at work. it's their job to get in touch with her, it's her problem to get in touch with them. You just need to make sure they update their database and remove your extension.
    • joehoover
    • By joehoover 7th Sep 11, 9:04 AM
    • 143 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    joehoover
    You don't have to do anything and makes me wonder why you are even spending time thinking about this matter, this isn't your problem, the only person you are helping is a lazy collections agency who can't be bothered to do their job properly which they are being paid handsomely for by the original creditor.

I deal with them as part of my work, when DHL pass my account to them after a week unpaid, and then the agency immediately charge us 40 for not paying without even bothering to question why something is unpaid, when it is always an invoice I never received or they have charged us the wrong rates.

I was also harrassed by a collection agency for Thames Water after I moved home even though I paid the year in advance, Thames Water themselves confirmed my account was paid up to date when I left, it took 6 months to get the agency to stop chasing me and blackening my credit file for what was all an administrative error yet no one could bother sorting it out properly - how inept do you have to be at your job to not do those simple checks before thundering in with calls and fines.

My point is they are terribly lazy and are not interested in investigating any matter properly, my company/myself is innocent yet is getting fined, reputation tarnished and so much hassle to resolve all because they don't look at the facts of a case. This may be the case with the person they are looking for, you have no place getting involved at all.

Should they call again you should get angry with them for bothering you and ask for their details so your company can bill the collection agency for wasting their company time.
    • Ebenezer_Screwj
    • By Ebenezer_Screwj 7th Sep 11, 9:07 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    Ebenezer_Screwj
    No ! Don't have anything to do with these rats in human form. Of course potential creditors want their money back but your colleague's affairs are none of your business. Just hang up if these people call again.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 7th Sep 11, 9:08 AM
    • 26,330 Posts
    • 107,633 Thanks
    candygirl
    No way should you tell them.it isn't your place to do so
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
  • Domino9
    I definatley don't think it's a good idea - but perhapse speak to your colleague again and ask them to send a letter requesting that they only communicate with him/her by post - I don't really think that you deserve to be harassed by phone either!
    A Mortgage wannabe! 😄
    • pinkpanther22
    • By pinkpanther22 7th Sep 11, 9:15 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    pinkpanther22
    Don't get invovled. Debt collectors are parasitic, lazy and utterly inept. I once had the huge satisfaction of taking one to court once after he was foolish enough to slander me on his own recorded phone line. It took the judge about 30 seconds to chuck him out and enforce an order on them as I could prove the agency were in the wrong.

Tell them to do their own dirty work.
    • Lucky1983
    • By Lucky1983 7th Sep 11, 10:33 AM
    • 947 Posts
    • 33,708 Thanks
    Lucky1983
    No way
    Well. sorry folks, I think she should give them any info she has. Her friend has had and spent the money. It is us as honest citizens that end up paying higher costs because of those who do not pay back what they owe.
    Originally posted by joannie
    I'm confused - how do you know that she has spent the money?! You cannot say that as you cannot know. The colleague shouldn't get involved as they have no knowledge of the situation. Don't get involved.
    Last 6 years total: 3600

2018 wins: Cinema tickets, garden windspinner, tennis tickets, 5x greetings cards, Skinny Coffee sample pack, 250, Frugi t-shirt
  • JoannaS
    Pass her number on!!
    If it were me I would pass her new extension number onto the debt collectors and tell them to keep calling her instead of you!!!!

I haven't ever been in a situation where I've been chased by a debt collector and hopefully I won't be.....they only chase when given reason to.....pay your debts...no debt collectors!! Simple!!

Debt owed 4000, Saved (to pay back) 300, only 3,700 to go!!

My best money saving tip: Good manners cost NOTHING! So please be nice to each other!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,976Posts Today

7,255Users online

Martin's Twitter