Can anyone recommend a distance learning company?

Options
Hi all,
I want to train to be a web designer on a small level, cottage industry style and am looking to find a correspondence course.

I can see there a loads of companies offering courses but it's hard to work out which company is reputable. Learn Direct look good but I don't want to be swayed just because they advertise on telly!

I wondered if anyone had used distance learning companies and how you got on with them?

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Jarndyce
    Jarndyce Posts: 1,281 Forumite
    Options
    Learn Direct is just an umberella portal for other providers, it is not a provider in itself. It is (or was) government funded to signpost people for post 16 distance learning.
  • JoungandNaive
    Options
    Hello there. I have did a bit of research...and you Distance Education.org has a variety of courses and universities !!

You can also see people ranking the courses and the Unis
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If i was wanting to do long distance learning id look at the OU
  • oddbunny
    oddbunny Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for that - althought unfortunately these are American universities but I appreciate you taking the time to reply :)
  • WhatsNew
    Options
    oddbunny wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I want to train to be a web designer on a small level, cottage industry style and am looking to find a correspondence course.

I can see there a loads of companies offering courses but it's hard to work out which company is reputable. Learn Direct look good but I don't want to be swayed just because they advertise on telly!

I wondered if anyone had used distance learning companies and how you got on with them?

Thanks everyone!

A good starting point would be to visit alison they have lots of courses which you can study for free, there is advertising displayed and if you want a cert at end you will have to pay a small fee but you probably do not need a cert in any case. A friend of mine found a web design course there and found it helpful, I studied an excel course and bought a cert for about £12 I think.
  • flexrider
    flexrider Posts: 745 Forumite
    Options
    I Would recomend open university courses online learning, How i got started in It and Website devolopment/E commeracial and languages. Never looked back now got myself plenty of businesses now and doing well from it

Cheers
    "MSE Money saving challenges..8/12/13 3,500 saved so far :j" p.s if i been helpfully please leave me a thank you but seek official advice at all times from a pro
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure