st pauls bay,lindos,rhodes greece weddings,please advise etc

Options
Hi guys after months of picking where we wanted to get married we seen this place or read about it,with forums and youtube and to be honest this is the place we are hooked.
I see some of you guys have been through it or are planning the same thing,i have not even done nothing yet,and want to get this rolling asap,is there a time of the year when weather is good and not so good or not recommended not to wed,i am also not sure to do this through a travel agent or i think i read planner,so does the planner just sort of the wedding side of things,and the flights and places to stay are done by us from say the travel agent.
I need to know approx costs,in everything,wedding,flights,hotels etc.
I do happen to have or own a few timeshares which i can swap for anywhere in the word,i wonder if this could be used there or where is recommended to stay.
God i could go on its at the st pauls bay i am looking at which looks lovely,i have seen some vids of folk coming off a boat and some walking to the bay i think where there is a chapel type thing.
Is there different ways to get to this location or did say these folk that came off a boat maybe stayed elsewhere.
As i never been there before i am not sure of how it all looks,whats there and whats available,and i dont think i would be going there for a week to see or find out more.
Im sure i can pick or get it all sorted from here,but as a newbie to this place and having now picked the place i wanna get wed,i really want to get this all booked,even a deposit or at least get in a better frame of mind about it all.
I have no idea how many people would come,how long they plan on staying,but thats upto them and if they come,but im sure some will come.
Also after the wedding has took place at the bay next to that chapel i have seen boat rides,and like partys or receptions afterwards where and what is recommended.
God i have so much to ask and find out and what extras can be had or whats recommended etc.
I better end this as i can keep asking so many stuff
Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.

Comments

• twirlypinky
    twirlypinky Posts: 2,415 Forumite
    Options
    I think it's you i've had the email conversation with?

If you're concerned about the planning and worried about all the bits and pieces that need doing, then going with a wedding planner is probably the best idea.

There is a website called www.lindosweddings.co.uk that i thought looked quite good when i was first choosing. They do package deals which would probably take the stress out of it for you.

The only reason we didn't use a company like that is because we really needed to keep costs down.

The alternative is to go into a travel agent and chat with them. I found Thomson to be quite helpful.
    saving up another deposit as we've lost all our equity.
    We're 29% of the way there...
  • fawny
    fawny Posts: 953 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I'm getting married there next year:j We know Lindos & Pefkos the next village round very well as we have been going for the last 6 years, so I knew it was the place for me. We have booked our wedding with Karen at Lindos Weddings which is the link Twirly has posted. We have booked the wedding day package that takes care of all the things you must have & then you can add extras on to suit yourself & budget. Karen has been wonderful, I sent her a few questions before we booked & had so much info back. When we decided to go ahead we filled in the booking form, transfered the deposit & the very next day her husband emailed back & confirmed that the date & time we had requested had been booked & secured:j I would strongly reccommend using a wedding planner rather than a TO but it's up to you. You need to book your holiday yourself as you would normally & make sure it fits round your date. As to cost for the holiday well that's up to you really, we SC in Pefkos so the accommodation & flights for the 2 of us where we stay is usually around £800, but depends on the prices when you book with the likes of the TO. We always like to book with a TO rather than independently.

Some people have a boat ride to the Chaple which is why you will have seen them coming in from the bay, other arrive by car & walk down from the top.

As to your guests the good thing about this area is that there is so much accommadation there is something to suit everyone, from SC to HB in a 5* hotel. I think it's best to SC as you get a really feel for the place been able to eat out everynight in different places & it keeps the local villages going rather than eating en mass in the hotels.
    Married the man of my dreams - 10th September 2012, St Paul's Bay Lindos :jIt was amazing.
    :love:
  • bwatt00
    bwatt00 Posts: 911 Forumite
    Options
    I think it's you i've had the email conversation with?

If you're concerned about the planning and worried about all the bits and pieces that need doing, then going with a wedding planner is probably the best idea.

There is a website called www.lindosweddings.co.uk that i thought looked quite good when i was first choosing. They do package deals which would probably take the stress out of it for you.

The only reason we didn't use a company like that is because we really needed to keep costs down.

The alternative is to go into a travel agent and chat with them. I found Thomson to be quite helpful.

I had a look on there site and i think for what you paid,what did you get,is this just for the services of someone arranging things for you or are there things included in that cost they charge,i suppose an email to them would answer then questions.
    Am i right in thinking that say venue,flowers,car,hair/make-up etc etc are all extras or what would we say are extra boat,dj at night,i just need to know what the planner gets paid for to find the best deals,or the hassle really of having to sort it out yourself.
    Also i have read that a few have said go planner than through a travel agent i wonder why,would the travel agent not put you to one of these planners anyway or would they charge extra for this.

I have seen in books i have had from travel agents,but in other countries wedding packages which include venue,dj sometimes,flowers,pics and vids and much more,i dont think i have seen anything like this for the above place or people.
    I also would like to keep the costs down,but also want the day to be perfect,i am planning on moving overseas next year so all the money helps right now and i just dont want to get wed in the uk and to be honest i think it would be much more here anyway.
    I did look at the thomson book i got the other day but really it does not offer much or tell you much to make you want to go and book right away.
  • twirlypinky
    twirlypinky Posts: 2,415 Forumite
    Options
    £225 includes:

Ceremony
    Cake (for up to 20 people)
    Flowers (bridal bouquet and groom button hole)
    Sparkling wine for toast

Every agent is different, every wedding planner is different. I think you need to decide what you actually want first.
    saving up another deposit as we've lost all our equity.
    We're 29% of the way there...
  • bwatt00
    bwatt00 Posts: 911 Forumite
    Options
    fawny wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm getting married there next year:j We know Lindos & Pefkos the next village round very well as we have been going for the last 6 years, so I knew it was the place for me. We have booked our wedding with Karen at Lindos Weddings which is the link Twirly has posted. We have booked the wedding day package that takes care of all the things you must have & then you can add extras on to suit yourself & budget. Karen has been wonderful, I sent her a few questions before we booked & had so much info back. When we decided to go ahead we filled in the booking form, transfered the deposit & the very next day her husband emailed back & confirmed that the date & time we had requested had been booked & secured:j I would strongly reccommend using a wedding planner rather than a TO but it's up to you. You need to book your holiday yourself as you would normally & make sure it fits round your date. As to cost for the holiday well that's up to you really, we SC in Pefkos so the accommodation & flights for the 2 of us where we stay is usually around £800, but depends on the prices when you book with the likes of the TO. We always like to book with a TO rather than independently.

Some people have a boat ride to the Chaple which is why you will have seen them coming in from the bay, other arrive by car & walk down from the top.

As to your guests the good thing about this area is that there is so much accommadation there is something to suit everyone, from SC to HB in a 5* hotel. I think it's best to SC as you get a really feel for the place been able to eat out everynight in different places & it keeps the local villages going rather than eating en mass in the hotels.

So for the wedding planner you got what did you get value wise for your money is this as asked already just for someone to arrange sort out things for you,which you will have to pay extra for,or are you in them costs getting something out of it,i take things like flowers,venue dj and all that are stuff that are extra.
    I have read that planner are the way to go and why better than a travel agent i dont know dont they use them as well?

As mentioned to another post on here i have seen packages for other countries which travel agents charge and in them you have vids/pics cake,venue and all that stuff in the price,i take with the planner its not the case and you pay for all them.
    I am just trying to get my head around the whole thing and the best way to go as in the coming weeks i will have to start sorting things out,booking and planning and need to know the best way to start.

as for the holiday part i take there are many places around there to stay,i have no idea as not been there before,it has been mentioned to get myself over there and get a feel and check things out,but lets just say we like the look of it there and the st pauls chapel at the bay just looks great and the pics or vids i have seen look well nice.
    I have no idea who would be going,yet as i dont know if some family members my side and my wife to be side would be going,but i know for a fact my parents would go no matter where it is.
    I do happen to have timeshares not there but i suppose i can maybe exchange it with rci there and get a good place to stay for a fraction of the price,so there is a good range of places to stay there for everyones budgets.
    I have no idea if some people would come for a week,a few days or what,but you say that it would be approx £800 for two people,i thought it be less than that,not for me but maybe for others that might have wanted to come,thats if they want to spend that money and come to see us,as i sure could not pay for everyone to come.
    im sure some might not mind paying that money to come,but who knows,i suppose £400 pp for a flight and place to stay is not that bad when you can easy pay £100 for a night in a hotel in the uk.

So it that arrival by boat extra,i have no idea of this is best choice,or to walk to it etc,all looks good,but i have seen a trip on a boat which i think is after it and looks cool,i also have seen a party or venue or what looks like it is across from the chapel when you see some vids whats that called?

I also wondered this chapel is this lindos itself,st pauls bay is this all in the same area,is there much things in this area or would it be better to stay somewhere else and just get wed in st pauls etc,.

As some have said i should go there first and see if its for us,just by looking at it it feels right and really would not want to go to the expense of going there say now and then a few months go back again to get wed,i had been planning on other places like vegas,florida etc etc all of which i would not have seen before,well apart from florida where my timeshare is,but i was thinking these might just be too far if we want a few folk to come.
    this looks nice,looks like we could have nice pics and i suppose nice weather too,and hey i think my parent said they had been there before not sure if same place,but they said we could go to turkey while there for a trip,they said the markets are there,she is into them and i dont mind them also
  • fawny
    fawny Posts: 953 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya,

The wedding package we booked includes all the things listed in their package on the website, to some it may seem expensive but for us to have an experience wedding planner who knows all the correct laws & rules was a must. The wedding planner arranges everything for you & makes the bookings, they have local knowledge so know the people to speak to. They also come over to the UK to make the arrangements & meet you again before the wedding in Lindos, they also help you arrange all the legal paperwork. They will also be with you on the day to make sure everything runs smooth & there will be one at the venue making sure it's all set up for when we get back there too. We never looked at what we could get through a TO as we knew we wanted to use the planner we are having. The flowers, photos, reception, transport to church & reception are all extras, but they will sort them all out for you. For us we more or less know where we want to hold our reception having been there so many times, so we will just let the planner know & she will organise it for us. I'm guessing that if you book through a TO they have a wedding person in resort to help you, I don't know.

Having a boat trip is extra as is any of the transport to get there, we are all going in taxis from Pefkos & then having a boat trip after the wedding to take us back to Pefkos, not sure of the cost of this yet. Not sure about the venue to mention, it could be a beach platform that I know is excusive to one of the wedding planners where you can go & have a drink after the wedding. The cost of the holiday is what you make it, I guess there is cheaper places to stay than where we go but the flights are so expensive these days:( For the reception meal you are probably looking at anything between 20 & 50 Euro's pp depending on what you want & this is the hardest cost to work out until you know how many people will come. We still have no idea how many will come out, we have sent save the date even though it's a long way off & we have have some people confirm they will come but others have said they will decide next year, which is fair enough but does not help with our budget planning! I think we have 10 definate guests so far & about another 15 really interested which is a lot more than we though so what we worked on to start with as the budget for the reception is out the window now. There are plenty of taverns in Lindos & Pefkos suitable for the reception it all depends on what you want.

St Paul's Bay is not quite in Lindos it's a seperate Bay I suppose but it's next to it, staying in Lindos or Pefkos would be ideal & also they are plenty of other little resorts around that are nice, the place where Twirly is staying is nice but I can't remember what it's called.

Regarding the full cost including the holiday(but not our spending money) I think we will still be looking at spending nearly 5K.(not including my dress) We are saving money where we can but we are having extras where we want as we are not getting married abroad to save money so it's not about the cost so much, but on the same vain we are not going crazy. I'm guessing other might have done it cheaper.

I've seen the packages that are offered by the TO for free reception etc in some countries but not seen any for here to be honest. As has already been said you need to decide what you want, all planners offer differnt packages & there is more than one of them as the same with the TO.
    Married the man of my dreams - 10th September 2012, St Paul's Bay Lindos :jIt was amazing.
    :love:
  • Humming-bird_3
    Options
    Hi,

Twirlypinky is absolutely right!
    A wedding is such a special occasion that all that counts is what you actually want. One thing is for sure, St Paul is one of the best places in the world to get married.
    I strongly suggest that a lovely wedding should be combined with a traditional villa in Lindos.
    I've spent most of my holidays in Lindos and one of my favourite villas where I attended the loveliest wedding reception ever is this one: villalindos.eu
    It is a family ran villa and the environment is amazing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure