mse weight loss and exercise

Options
I need to lose weight. Quite a lot of weight. I have allowed myself to get complacent, unfit and out of shape. And I have been using food to comfort myself through financial hardship justifying it as an essential luxury. So now, I need to get some control back. I am thinking about signing up to Weightwatchers online. I'm a single parent working full time so fitting in exercise is really hard. I have a pretty active job (I do one to one in a reception class) and I like to garden. I also help out at a circus skills club and like to hula hoop.

I just wondered what other people's experiences of weightwatchers is and whether they found it value for money (I did it years ago but have never been that good at dieting!). Also, what money saving exercise tips do people have? I know the car is an obvious one - we live almost 2 miles from school and my youngest is 6 so not impossible but it is a big commitment! The kids don't all have bikes so cycling would require some initial investment. Even a swim locally costs more than a fiver.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Commercial Debt £14587.22 Student Debt £7747.73
Debt to family and friends £270/540 Total Debt £22604.95/22874.95 :embarasse

Comments

• RubySewSew
    RubySewSew Posts: 617 Forumite
    Options
    I have signed up to ww online. Any tips for mse exercising and activity still appreciated :)
    Commercial Debt £14587.22 Student Debt £7747.73
    Debt to family and friends £270/540 Total Debt £22604.95/22874.95 :embarasse
  • rainbow81
    rainbow81 Posts: 400 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello
    There are ways of losing weight without a club and (I admit I did it a long time ago now) WW wasn't for me. I was hungry and grumpy and gave up quite quickly. However, I did keep the weight off that I lost with them but attribute it to their education on portion sizes. Now I weigh things like pasta and rice which were the biggest problems for me.

I am writing all this as though I am not trying to lose weight too!

Someone on here recommended sparkpeople.com which I joined and am actually a big fan of. It is free and you can track your food and exercise, it's pretty clever stuff.

Sparkpeople (and others) have exercise videos for free if you are that way inclined, some of them for only 10 minutes. I started with a commitment to 10 minutes cardio a day in January just to get a habit going and now I am up to 25 minutes - yay.

My favourite thing at the moment is a rebounder (mini-trampoline) - I bought mine but maybe look out for one on Freecycle/boot fairs. I get a sweat up while I'm watching rubbish on tv!

Hula hooping sounds great, I wish I could do it but the hoop never stays up for long!

They do say that you can't out-exercise a bad diet though, I was sick of scrounging on food on one hand and then buying slimming pants (or WW membership - ahem ;)) on the other, it didn't make sense so now my grocery bill is somewhat higher but I have more energy and better skin. Frozen veg and a bit of chicken or quorn with rice or noodles and you've got a lovely, quick nutritious meal.

Good luck, it is tough being a single mum and trying to do it all.
  • morocha
    morocha Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Options
    hi ya, cant coment on WW, but i too live 1 mile away from school, we just moved towns and i dont drive and the bus stop is in the town (1 mile away too) I decided that is the best change i have to get in the fresh air and get some exercise too, she is 3.5yo and we both walk to school every day, then when i go to pick her up, i carry some juice, apple or something little to give to her, today the little monkey run all the away home, and it is really hard, it is up hill... but she is used to walking as her grandpa and nanny take her to walk for miles, and when we are on holidays we walk all day. when she started last week, it took her around 30 min... cos she takes teddies and plays, right now she can do it in 15 minutes.
    Mejor morir de pie que vivir toda una vida de rodillas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure