NRAM and their "debt collectors"

Options
AngryDog
AngryDog Posts: 445 Forumite
Hi,

I am currently being hassled by NRAM's "debt collectors" called Allied.

They are demanding that I pay them 10% of my outstanding debt (including PPI which I cannot claim on) before they will even consider putting me on a payment plan.

I have agreed payment plans with all of my other creditors (including NRAM's mortgage side), but these guys are being quite unhelpful.

What I find particularly odd is that I have a settlement figure from NRAM before I got into payment difficulties of about 50% of what they're saying that I owe.

I'm a bit stuck how to go with this. I did send a letter to NRAM which seems to of been ignored as it mentions about mis-selling me PPI, and not the fact that I am disputing the amount.

Any help or advice greatfully received!!

Thank you.
As at End of June 2014
Credit Cards - HSBC - £9422
Loans - NRAM £7500 & £12848

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    I would ignore their demands and simply ensure you make the payments you have offered to them each month. Don't get into a debate with them. If you've written a letter which states how much you can afford a month then that is how much to pay them. Preferably by standing order.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • AngryDog
    Options
    Tixy wrote: »
    I would ignore their demands and simply ensure you make the payments you have offered to them each month. Don't get into a debate with them. If you've written a letter which states how much you can afford a month then that is how much to pay them. Preferably by standing order.

Thanks for your reply. What should I do about the amount dispute? They want £17661. This includes PPI which I cannot claim on.
    I have raised a dispute about the PPI and about the amount I owe.

Thanks.
    As at End of June 2014
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    So what have you written to them so far? presumably not a repayment plan? Did you write to ask for a statement of account so you can see how the balance is made up?

Why have they said you cannot claim on the PPI? What were the circumstances that meant you put in a claim on the PPI? did you lose your job?
    When you say you have disputed it - have you read the guide to reclaiming on MSE and believe it to be missold? did you then send a letter asking for the PPI to be refunded?
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • AngryDog
    Options
    I made an offer to them, sent them my statement of account and then received a yellow letter from their debt collector arm called Allied, asking me to call them. I called them to discuss my debt and they demanded I pay them £1766 before they will discuss any type of payment plan with me.

I have since sent a letter direct to NRAM advising them that this is unreasonable and that I cannot pay what I do not have, and re-iterated that I had made an offer to make payments on a monthly basis at a reduced rate.

In the letter I told them that they have added the outstanding PPI amount to the top of the loan (the settlement figure without PPI is around £9,000, the figure that they actually want from me is £17,661). I cannot claim on the PPI as I arent making my contractual payments.

I believe that I was missold the PPI as I took the loan out over 10 years, and because they put the PPI onto my loan amount straight away (loan was £20,000 and my statement says the PPI is £9,217) that this only covers you for 5 years - this is the information that I have learned from MSE.
    Tixy wrote: »
    So what have you written to them so far? presumably not a repayment plan? Did you write to ask for a statement of account so you can see how the balance is made up?

Why have they said you cannot claim on the PPI? What were the circumstances that meant you put in a claim on the PPI? did you lose your job?
    When you say you have disputed it - have you read the guide to reclaiming on MSE and believe it to be missold? did you then send a letter asking for the PPI to be refunded?
    As at End of June 2014
  • AngryDog
    AngryDog Posts: 445 Forumite
    Options
    Well, I spoke with NRAM earlier, who acknowledge the PPI dispute, but have told me that I have to speak to Allied re the debt.

If I'm disputing the debt (as they've lumped the PPI on top), then surely the cannot make any demands on me??
    As at End of June 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills