Trimming Dog Claws

Options
Anyone got any tips on how I can control my dog Cyril when I try to trim his claws? He's a medium size dog and every time I try, we end up with a full blown struggle all over the floor. I've tried treats, he stays long enough to take the treat then it's back to a struggle. I've tried sitting over the top of him so he can't move. This also ends in a struggle. I know I'm not hurting him when I trim his claws. He's basically a scardy dog. He would yelp if it hurts and he hasn't yelped yet, so I know I'm not getting too close to the quick. I only take the very ends off each time.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Rex
How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
Fish

Comments

• rushnowt
    rushnowt Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya Rex

I can only tell you the way we do it, I hold our dogs in a firm but gentle kind of head lock while patting them and talking nicely to them to take their minds off it and hubby lifts foot and trims nails, seems to work fine and they are rather large dogs they dont even notice until they hear the the sound of the nail clipper. LOL

If its not possible to get the assistance off someone else, you may have to pop him along to a vets or grooming salon, although not sure of prices for this

Good luck
    Nobody can make you feel inferior, without your permission ;)

Love doesn't make the world go round, it's what makes the ride worthwhile

ya still freezing :p

• Lola.G_2
    Lola.G_2 Posts: 6,396 Forumite
    Options
    I can only second Rushnowts advice, I start off with the treat tactic which works for about 3 claws but then have to end up with one person holding/distracting while the other trims.
    Obsolete
  • empfun
    empfun Posts: 608 Forumite
    Options
    Try to keep your dog as happy as possible at all times everytime. Don't let it turn to a fright situation that your dog will never get used to. If your dog struggles, you might need pin it down so that it doesn't struggle and hurt itself in the process. During the whole process praise your dog and let it know that there is a treat at the end of it. All the best :)
    I know nothing
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, I'll give it a go tomorrow with Debs holding his head and distracting him. He's had enough trauma today, I gave him a haircut. Poor thing thinks I'm getting at him.

There is a lady locally that will trim dogs and clip their nails for £20. I don't really want to take him to her though. I figure, if he's nervous with me doing it, he's going to be double nervous with someone else.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • Sheel
    Sheel Posts: 45,671 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Rex

I'm going to move this over to the Anything Else board

regards , Sheel

Where's the Pet board when you need it? :D
    Same old same old since 2008

• rushnowt
    rushnowt Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    Options
    Sheel wrote:
    Hi Rex

I'm going to move this over to the Anything Else board

regards , Sheel

Where's the Pet board when you need it? :D

Yep i agree Sheel we really do seem to need a pet board, go on give Martin a nudge, he likes you ;):D:D
    Nobody can make you feel inferior, without your permission ;)

Love doesn't make the world go round, it's what makes the ride worthwhile

ya still freezing :p

• katy2
    katy2 Posts: 148 Forumite
    Options
    You will find it much easier if you can sit your dog up on a table. Sit him on a table, and have your helper hold him against their chest, one arm round the dogs chest and the other over his back end and under his tummy. Hard to describe, but just the way the vet nurse would hold him, if you took him to the vets. Held correctly you should be able to clip his nails without too much fuss. Do one side, then have your helper hold him from the other side, and do the other feet. By putting your dog up on a table, as well as being so much more convenient for you, you also have the upper hand as the dog is in unfamiliar territory. Also helps for doing anything with your cat, but for a cat have yor helper hold it ,with both hands around its shoulders.
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our vet does it for free as part of the yearly health check. He also does it free if we have to take a dog in for any reason in between times.

Otherwise, we find the approach of making it a two person job with one doing the soothing and the other clipping works best. We break up doggie chocolate drops and give a little bit after each foot is complete. If we are having a bit of a struggle though we go for a teeny piece per claw. Eventually we get through the four paws.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure