MP3 Million

Options
I have found this site where tracks are just £0.07 which seems fair enough.Do they pay the artist and are they ethical.Finally can anyone speak from experience OR suggest an alternative?

Many thanks AF

Comments

• £$&*"($£&(
    £$&*"($£&( Posts: 4,538 Forumite
    Options
    Do they pay the artist - I imagine not. These usually Russian download sites are a legal grey area which are not supposed to discussed on this site.
  • alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Seems legit, US registered.

Registrant:
    Domains by Proxy, Inc.
    DomainsByProxy.com
    15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
    Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
    United States

Domain Name: MP3MILLION.COM
    Created on: 24-Apr-06
    Expires on: 24-Apr-11
    Last Updated on: 28-May-10

Administrative Contact:
    Private, Registration email.pgif?md5=1ba828603fe10375ed17f75706f23e06&face=arial&size=9&color=000000&bgcolor=FFFFFF&face=arial&size=9&color=0000FF&bgcolor=FFFFFF&format[]=underline&format[]=transparent&format[]=transparent
    Domains by Proxy, Inc.
    DomainsByProxy.com
    United States
    (480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2598

Technical Contact:
    Private, Registration email.pgif?md5=1ba828603fe10375ed17f75706f23e06&face=arial&size=9&color=000000&bgcolor=FFFFFF&face=arial&size=9&color=0000FF&bgcolor=FFFFFF&format[]=underline&format[]=transparent&format[]=transparent
    Domains by Proxy, Inc.
    DomainsByProxy.com
    United States
    (480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2598

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS2.ZONEEDIT.COM
    NS9.ZONEEDIT.COM
  • gnvqsos
    gnvqsos Posts: 291 Forumite
    Options
    grahawk wrote: »
    Do they pay the artist - I imagine not. These usually Russian download sites are a legal grey area which are not supposed to discussed on this site.

I apologise for the breach of etiquette;why is it prohibited and where does it say this?Is it because it is not deemed to be cheap or because it is condoning a breach of copyright laws?
  • £$&*"($£&(
    £$&*"($£&( Posts: 4,538 Forumite
    Options
    gnvqsos wrote: »
    I apologise for the breach of etiquette;why is it prohibited and where does it say this?Is it because it is not deemed to be cheap or because it is condoning a breach of copyright laws?

It's in the forum rules - we are not allowed to discuss legal grey areas like this. These sites only exist because of a loophole in Russian Law. The artists get nothing. The site might be registered in the US but it's still the same thing.
  • gnvqsos
    Options
    grahawk wrote: »
    It's in the forum rules - we are not allowed to discuss legal grey areas like this. These sites only exist because of a loophole in Russian Law. The artists get nothing. The site might be registered in the US but it's still the same thing.

How do I find out whether or not a site is legal -they are hardly likely to publicise this are they?Would it be helpful to compile MSE approved sites so that a novice like myself can make an informed choice?
  • Phantom_Flan_Flinger
    Options
    Easiest way is to stick to the MSE TuneChecker site.
    Dave. :wave:
  • gnvqsos
    Options
    Easiest way is to stick to the MSE TuneChecker site.

Does this mean that all other sites are illegal?Is it OK to download from other sources at ones own risk?Surely these have acquired a degree of monopoly power and a further restriction imposed is adding to their power?

Thanks for reading and for your replies
    AF
  • eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There are numerous other web sites that argue the pro's & con's of downloading music etc at the most favourable price.
    For what its worth imho the legal beagles in the USA, UK & elsewhere have missed the point and I don't understand their logic.
    Drop the price. In the UK 10p per downloaded track should be about the right price to discourage theft and would over time render most of the file sharing sites redundant. It would also move customers away from dodgy Russian sites.
  • TheAlex
    TheAlex Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    eamon wrote: »
    There are numerous other web sites that argue the pro's & con's of downloading music etc at the most favourable price.
    For what its worth imho the legal beagles in the USA, UK & elsewhere have missed the point and I don't understand their logic.
    Drop the price. In the UK 10p per downloaded track should be about the right price to discourage theft and would over time render most of the file sharing sites redundant. It would also move customers away from dodgy Russian sites.
    How would the artists (and anyone) make money? Most artists only get around 5p per track from iTunes at the moment.
    The Cakes - new release now on Spotify!
  • jamesperrett
    jamesperrett Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    TheAlex wrote: »
    How would the artists (and anyone) make money? Most artists only get around 5p per track from iTunes at the moment.

Depends how many other people have got their fingers in the pie. Our aggregator gives us about 40p per track from iTunes but someone signed to a major record label would probably see much less as all the record label people have to take their share. On the other hand, hopefully the record label marketing people can generate more sales than an independent self releasing band so you will still earn more money than we do.

James.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport