Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • athenajm
    • By athenajm 11th Aug 10, 6:55 PM
    • 208Posts
    • 151Thanks
    Debt Collection Agency wrong name.
    • #1
    • 11th Aug 10, 6:55 PM
    Debt Collection Agency wrong name. 11th Aug 10 at 6:55 PM
    Hi, first of all sorry if this is in the wrong place!

    I received a letter about a month ago addressed to Jay Sean, and as I could see under the address that it said Final Notice I opened it up. It was from Legal Recoveries & Collections informing Jay Sean that he owed them 45.99 from a Webbilling account.
    I phoned the debt collection agency and told them that Jay Sean does not and has never lived at my house. I was tempted to point out to them that he's a famous RnB singer so obviously a fake name but thought that might make it look like I'd used a fake name for some kind of account.

    The guy I spoke to said it wouldn't be a problem and that he'd make sure the account was updated with a note saying what I'd told him.

    Today I got home and had another letter from Face 2 Face contact again addressed to Jay Sean saying unless the debt is paid within 5 days then they will send bailiffs round.

    I'm going to write to them telling them that this person doesn't live here but was wondering whether there's any legislation or rules etc that I can quote to get them to stop sending letters and to make sure no bailiffs come round. I know not to let bailiffs in but my friend who works on my house might unknowingly open the door to them when I'm not here.

    Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks
Page 1
  • happycamel
    • #2
    • 11th Aug 10, 7:07 PM
    • #2
    • 11th Aug 10, 7:07 PM
    Hi, you're in the right place but I'm afraid I don't have any experience of this so can't help. I'm sure someone will be along soon who can. I guess calling National Debtline 0808 808 4000 might help as they'd know the legal situation properly
    I'm a qualified accountant but please make sure you get expert advice as any opinion is made in a private capacity.
    "A goal without a plan is just a wish" Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    Mortgage overpay 2012: 10,815; 2013: 27,562
    Mortgage start 264k, now 232k
  • DarkConvict
    • #3
    • 11th Aug 10, 7:52 PM
    • #3
    • 11th Aug 10, 7:52 PM
    Don't worry, its not your debt so they can't do anything. Its just a nuisance from the letters you receive. In the rare event a real bailiff does turn up even they cannot take anything. If they attempt to force entry or remove goods it is a criminal offence and they will be charged.

    They send out these threat-o-grams constantly and rarely fail to take up on it. A DCA cannot send round bailiffs without a CCJ, and if they have a CCJ they won't tell you they are sending them they will just arrive. I got lots of crap arriving at my house for a previous tenant.

    If anyone does arrive, just tell them you are not the person they are looking for. At the very most show some ID with say a mortgage/rental agreement. Its more than enough proof to give them to get them to go away on a permanent basis.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

    There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,714Posts Today

9,386Users online

Martin's Twitter