PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Substitute for Oven Pride

Options
Hi,

I wondered if anyone could help me. I'm wondering if there is a cheaper alternative to Oven Pride, which is £3-£4 at Tesco.

I've got a roasting tin I really want to bring back to new and it will take forever to scrub it. I also want to clean the shelves from my oven, but I really don't want to spend £3 (I feel a bit mean!).

Does anyone know of anything I could use instead that would bring it all back to sparkling? :)

Thanks!

Comments

• kayjay1809
    kayjay1809 Posts: 200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had some Oven Pride in the cupboard and only this morning I thought I would try it out on my shelves, in the bag thingy. I'm ashamed to say they hadn't been done in the 3 years we have had the cooker and they were grimy to say the least. My shelves are so shiny now, it's brilliant, but I am also very interested in how to do this more 'naturally' and without the substantial cost.
    2018 - The Year I Will Declutter!
  • cazj80
    cazj80 Posts: 327 Forumite
    Options
    kayjay1809 wrote: »
    I had some Oven Pride in the cupboard and only this morning I thought I would try it out on my shelves, in the bag thingy. I'm ashamed to say they hadn't been done in the 3 years we have had the cooker and they were grimy to say the least. My shelves are so shiny now, it's brilliant, but I am also very interested in how to do this more 'naturally' and without the substantial cost.

It is really good isn't it, when we moved out of our flat 4 years ago, I spent half a day scrubbing one of the oven shelves, and only got it half clean and had horrible hands after (goodness knows when they were last cleaned before, not in the 3 years we lived there!:o), then I bought the Oven Pride, left it over night on the half clean tray and the other dirty one, and they were brilliant in the morning, so it is a brilliant product, but I am trying to save money and be a bit greener too!
  • EstherH
    EstherH Posts: 1,150 Forumite
    Options
    Try soda crystals. If you look for a thread on here I'm sure you'll get lots of inspiration for using them.
    Second purse £101/100
    Third purse. £500 Saving for Christmas 2014
    ALREADY BANKED:
    £237 Christmas Savings 2013
    Stock Still not done a stock check.
    Started 9/5/2013.
  • Sammy-Jo_2
    Sammy-Jo_2 Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    Wish I could find a cheaper solution too. Have tried amonia (got the details on a thread on this site), soda crystals, biological washing powder and Mr Muscle but have reverted back to Oven Pride. Its just so easy! I do make one bottle last 2 cleans which include oven trays too.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    They sell it cheaper in Home Bargains if you have one
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • cazj80
    cazj80 Posts: 327 Forumite
    Options
    sammyjammy wrote: »
    They sell it cheaper in Home Bargains if you have one

Unfortunatley we don't have one near us, I just went on their website and the nearest is 68 miles from me - which is a shame!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Try Astonish oven cleaner I think its sold in Wilkinsons .I had my oven cleaned for me and its what the lady used and was excellant and 10 times better than anything else
  • imho
    imho Posts: 2,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think £3-4 for Oven pride is a bargain for how good it cleans. You dont use the whole container for 1 clean.
  • PinkPeach
    PinkPeach Posts: 613 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can Ovenpride be used on the metal rack things on your hob that you place your saucepans on, so they sit above the gas? Sorry, no idea of what they are called! Mine could do with a good clean and scrubbing them still seems to leave them with a greasy residue so it woudl be ideal to put them in the Ovenpride bag but I wasn't sure if this was ok.
    2013: Interflora Vouchers, Christmas Decorations, NNUK goody bag, thermos flask, macwet gloves
  • imho
    imho Posts: 2,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    PinkPeach Do you think the racks are made out of the same stuff as racks that go in the oven ? if so you can put them in a bag with Oven pride. Why not use a old toothbrush and just put a bit on the bottom of one and leave it for a while and see what happens .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure