Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Very busy week trying to catch up with stuff after being away, I'm also on a mission to finish the xmas shopping ASAP :D

Yesterday I went to lakeside shopping centre to get my best fiends xmas present - skin care stuff that came with a free gift,special offer this weekend only. Wow it was like the week before xmas you could not move it was awful! It's spurred me on to get literally everything really early, I went to £1land afterwards and bought the sweets for the kids stockings , they had chocolate oranges in there too which made me very happy as I have to buy four :D

Only a couple of bits left to get plus I need to decide how much and what to get for dh, I got him a small sonos speaker last year which he loves , but has taken to work permanently :( so although he really wants another one I'm not keen as I know where it will end up, although to be fair he spends most of his life there :rotfl:

Off to get dressed clean up a bit and then I'm getting out my shiny new 2015 extra large diary :T time to start making financial goals for next year.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I love this time of year, Christmas build up excitement AND New Year financial planning!

Good planning getting sorted early, I've not started yet as don't have a clue what to buy anyone. Children don't need anything and I don't believe in buying piles and piles of presents for the sake of it. Need to get my thinking cap on as we are still working through the birthday gifts!
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • newgirly
    Options
    Hi cath, its not as fun buying for teenagers, I used to love doing all my xmas shopping in woollies buying toys :D When my were little they used to get toys but also clothes, pjs, books etc. that I would have bought anyway. Mine don't get anything thought the year , they have to save up pocket money, so I do tend to splash out at xmas.

How about experiences? Cinema tickets, theatre etc. if you are stuck for ideas and want less "stuff"? We got merlin annual passes by pooling money from 2x grandparents and us a couple of years ago, the sale is on just after xmas and the prices were something like £80 each, still a lot but so many great days out :D

Our boys have had a ridiculous amount spent on them this year, we have bought ps4's, which is something. I would never normally do, they will be in shock when they find out :rotfl: but we wanted to treat them as dh was given some money from an inheritance and we went on a cruise without them all, so decided to splash out just for this year.

Dd is easy, chocolate and frozen bubble bath! This year though she has tickets to see things she loves, dr who spectacular, a film music night at the albert hall and queen tickets.

Next year it will be back to the usual ways though, we are having a summer family holiday so will need to cut back a lot.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Pearla*Merle
    Pearla*Merle Posts: 1,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :eek: Christmas shopping done already?! :eek:

Well done you! I've barely done a thing this year - December always used to be my busy time at work so I'd have things sorted waaaay beforehand but I've not really got that pressure this year. You've just reminded me how good it is to be ahead of the game, I thought I'd just meander along and do it in December but since you've reminded me of mad shops and postal delays maybe it would be better to run screaming from that idea(!) :rotfl:

PS. Book binding! :smileyhea You must have so many interesting things come your way, what fun. I always wanted to do one of those 'hand bind your own book' courses, I had grand plans for making my own little art/story books.... maybe one day :)
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • newgirly
    Options
    Hi pearla hope you are well, it's not as exciting as it sounds - today I spent all day stamping page numbers on massive funeral books, not exactly rock and roll :rotfl: if you want I can pm you with our company name so you can have a nosey if you are interested :D

Moan alert! I'm feeling like a tired old hypochondriac at the moment, I think it might be stress that brings on lots of niggly health things, I need to find a way to stop worrying over stuff so much and focussing on negatives and worrying about what might happen, easier said than done though! I believe a kick up the bum might benefit me at the moment.

Financials all ok, about £48 left from this months budget (£1500 until jan) plus plenty of food still around and enough petrol for work. A few extra spends as I sent flowers to my brother and sil today as her father passed away unexpectedly, plus a college trip. Other than that nothing to report.
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »

How about experiences? Cinema tickets, theatre etc. if you are stuck for ideas and want less "stuff"? We got merlin annual passes by pooling money from 2x grandparents and us a couple of years ago, the sale is on just after xmas and the prices were something like £80 each, still a lot but so many great days out :D

That's the kind of thing that would benefit them more, we used to have zoo membership but having a year off due to finances and children getting over saturated. We have national trust membership too but there are quite a few local places they could have great experiences.

Sounds like you could do with a bit of a break Newgirly, try not to stretch yourself too thin.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • artparcell
    Options
    SmartRRRR wrote: »
    My advice is always this - know the difference between what you WANT and what you NEED.

Think carefully about why you want something, and only buy what you need; you will spend less.

Good luck on your MFW mission.

Yes indeed. And always prioritize what you NEED. Less prioritize those that you WANT.:beer:
  • newgirly
    Options
    Yay work has finished for the week :j so happy as still not feeling myself at the moment.

Today I am staying in, putting the heating on :eek: and washing /ironing/cleaning and hopefully hanging out in mse and planning next years op's. Oops plus sorting work experience for ds1 as I've left it sooo late :o

Also lots of stuff on the planner to catch up with, I was so tired I slept through the apprentice last night.

Back later when I've got up and got going :D
  • newgirly
    Options
    Beds changed, half the washing done all ironing up to date, work experience forms for ds1 signed off - he is working at the local library next year lucky thing.

Payday tomorrow and I can use the cc again as of next tues, I think there is a whopping £10 or so still left from this months budget. I think I might be pretty close to moving from the £140's to the £130's either this month or next, quite exciting :D
  • newgirly
    Options
    I had a good look last night on the op spreadsheet, trying to decide whether to continue as I am - oping £1398 to finish the term on time April 2022 whilst keeping half the loft extension costs (£12k ish) on 0% ccs and paying off slowly. Or, clear all the cards next year and then probably struggling to clear the mortgage by end of term.

I think I'm going to stay as we are, it still seems easy to shuffle them and the fee is less than the mortgage rate is.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback