Provident 'Fresh Start' a loan or not a loan?

paulofessex
paulofessex Posts: 1,728 Forumite
Sorry if this has been covered before.

My partner recently agreed to take up the 'Fresh Start' option from Provident after they knocked regarding a old '3' mobile account of approx. £100 There is no disputing the amount, and since searching mse we now understand we could have told them no thankyou, however its owed and needs paying.

Now the issue at hand is this. My partner made arrangements with the agent to pay on a monthly basis. This clearly hasn't been passed to the office as today she received a letter stating 'Over Due Payments' of loan agreement which of course they are not as the monthly payment had been made. However the disturbing issue is how the letter goes on about it being a 'loan' and how future missed payments could effect her credit status.

Well Fresh Start is not a loan is it? Partners actuall total payment will be less than the £100 debt was for under the discount given by provident.

How can they now call it a loan. The papers she signed makes no reference of % charge being added.

Has anyone else come across this

Comments

• hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Hi, I've just looked on their site as I expect you have & not found anything about a fresh start option
    check out this link
    http://www.purpose-loans.com/?gclid=CPfytMHrqaACFRQulAod73e9Zw
    on a £300 loan typical APR is 272.2%,
    find anything & everything in your house worth selling & get it on ebay & get these people off your backs, once it's paid in full never answer the door to them again.
    That is of course only my opinion.
  • Enfieldian
    Enfieldian Posts: 2,893 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If they have bought an old defaulted account then they are effectively "lending" you the money to pay it off, although no money has been advanced to you, they just own the debt which you then pay back to them weekly, I believe.....
  • adea
    adea Posts: 448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Did you get any proof that the person was actually from Provident?
    They are not allowed to cold call and also, as far as I know, Provident only lend money, they don't buy accounts.
    Is the communciation you are getting definitely Provident Personal Credit?
    I am not suggesting you are mistaken, just a little confused as to the fact provident are only a home lending company and i have never come across them acting as debt collectors.
  • nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Maybe the agent that bought your 3 debt also worked for Provi.
    Then they could get credit for clearing an old debt, and commission on the new debt?
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,005 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 9 March 2010 at 12:28PM
    take a look at this http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/210301-provident-collecting.html
    seems they have been doing this for some time. i think its outrageous
  • Cumbrian_Male
    Cumbrian_Male Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Sorry if this has been covered before.

My partner recently agreed to take up the 'Fresh Start' option from Provident after they knocked regarding a old '3' mobile account of approx. £100 There is no disputing the amount, and since searching mse we now understand we could have told them no thankyou, however its owed and needs paying.

Now the issue at hand is this. My partner made arrangements with the agent to pay on a monthly basis. This clearly hasn't been passed to the office as today she received a letter stating 'Over Due Payments' of loan agreement which of course they are not as the monthly payment had been made. However the disturbing issue is how the letter goes on about it being a 'loan' and how future missed payments could effect her credit status.

Well Fresh Start is not a loan is it? Partners actuall total payment will be less than the £100 debt was for under the discount given by provident.

How can they now call it a loan. The papers she signed makes no reference of % charge being added.

Has anyone else come across this

Yes it is a loan but it is an interest free one.

If you didn't settle in full and signed an agreement then Provident has bought the old 3 account from the DCA it was passed to.

Ring the local office the number should be on the payment record book and ask them to check the account is set up as monthly on the computer, I'm betting it isn't.

I am a Provident employee.
    I have a cunning plan!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills