🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Glengarry Glen Ross DVD £2.49 HMV

Options
Times are tough in a New York office; the salesmen (Shelley Levene, Ricky Roma, Dave Moss, and George Aaronow) are given a strong incentive by Blake to succeed in a sales contest. The prizes? First prize is a Cadillac Eldorado, second prize is a set of steak knives, third prize is the sack! There is no room for losers in this dramatically masculine world; only "closers" will get the good sales leads. There is a lot of pressure to succeed, so a robbery is committed which has unforseen consequences for all the characters.Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Alec Baldwin, Ed Harris, Alan Arkin, Kevin Spacey and Jonathan Pryce team up to tie down the one sale that could mean the difference between glory and the gutter. (taken from IMDB where it scored
7.8/10 (14,882 votes))

This is a great film with fantastic acting. If you want explosions,pirates or aliens then don't get this. If you want a good story then this could be what you need and at £2.49 including delivery it's a steal :)
A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.

Comments

• shopbot
    shopbot Posts: 1,022 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought this and it is a great film.

If you've had to work in any sort of sales enviroment some bits will be horribly familiar. Alec Baldwins speech is a classic.

'Coffee is for closers'
  • antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is a truly classic masterpiece..a David Mamet film.....these are my words...."the acting takes your breath away" ..very,very strong language...but if you stood to lose a cadilac you would swear also...if you dont own this dvd.then,get it bought,.....also American Buffalo..with Dustin Hoffman.....another David Mamet all time great film..treat yourself.....
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • lestamunda
    lestamunda Posts: 305 Forumite
    Options
    superb film, but pls pls pls buy the 2 dvd more expensive boxed set -

it is the proper widescreen version (not 4:3 like the previous version - even though it is widescreen on TV!)
    it has a brill ABC (always be closing) documentary
    the print/sound is better (25th anniversary)

A TRUE FILM CLASSIC - USED IN MANY SALES SEMINARS EVEN TODAY!!!!!!!!!!
  • shopbot
    Options
    jaghir wrote:
    A TRUE FILM CLASSIC - USED IN MANY SALES SEMINARS EVEN TODAY!!!!!!!!!!

That is scary! Hopefully as a 'how not to' guide....
  • Hey_Dude
    Hey_Dude Posts: 1,786 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    shopbot wrote:
    That is scary! Hopefully as a 'how not to' guide....

Echo all the sentiments - a class film - many superb moments including the Baldwin 'sign them' lecture.

I also liked the Pacino method of grabbing a slightly !!!!!! punter in a bar as a new client....and the subsequent tirade after Spacey drops a clanger....

Pacino & Lemmon are great - Spacey is good as the despised Office Mananger.

If you enjoy this film also try Swimming with Sharks - also stars Spacey - this time as a boss giving his Personal Assitant a hard time....

....I can never look at a white piece of A4 paper in the same light again....

Duder
  • Hey_Dude
    Hey_Dude Posts: 1,786 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bad form to reply to one's own post.....

Found the 2 disc edition for £4.99 delivered at play:

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/717208/Glengarry_Glen_Ross_Special_Edition/Product.html

I'm tempted to upgrade.......

Duder
  • devild_2
    devild_2 Posts: 509 Forumite
    Options
    Good find if you want the extras and not just the movie. BTW anybody who watches the Simpsons will immediately recognise Jack Lemmons character as the worried salesman who appears in some episodes always looking to close a deal!! :)
    A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
    the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.
  • bad-head-day
    bad-head-day Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    Bought the 2 disc edition, thanks for the heads-up :)
    desrever sthgir lla
  • shopbot
    Options
    I think Albert in Hustle (BBC) was modelled on Jack Lemmons character.
  • antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do you really think that you will attend a timeshare or holiday points presentation and just walk away with the free gift........suckers!!!!!!!
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport