Cheap low-spec (old) PC base units P4 1.6ghz Cel 1.3ghz etc

Options
I occasionally get an email from https://www.pcdisposals.com offering 2nd user hardware. Just thought I'd post the details in case anyone's looking for a cheap web surfing pc..

COMPAQ EVO D5S CELERON 1.3Ghz/ 128Mb – 256Mb/ NO HDD/ CD ROM/ FLOPPY DRIVE/ NETWORK CARD/ XP PRO C.O.A STICKER £75 each

COMPAQ EVO D5S PENTIUM 4 1.6Ghz/ 256Mb/ NO HDD/ CD ROM/ FLOPPY DRIVE/ NETWORK CARD/ XP PRO C.O.A STICKER £85 each

Compaq EN SFF PENTIUM III 1Ghz/ 128Mb – 256Mb/ NO HDD/ CD ROM/ FLOPPY DRIVE/ NETWORK CARD PRICE: £28 each

These are just base units without hard disk, monitor, keyboard or mouse.

Prices exclude VAT I think.

Comments

• andy-pandy_6
    andy-pandy_6 Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    hi
    been to the website where / how do you buy them ?
  • pealy
    pealy Posts: 458 Forumite
    Options
    andy-pandy wrote:
    hi
    been to the website where / how do you buy them ?

Here's the info from the email:

"If you have any queries, or wish to place an order, then please do not hesitate to contact me on: 01923 233923, or jill.congalton@pcdisposals.com"
  • eilz
    eilz Posts: 354 Forumite
    Options
    pealy wrote:
    I occasionally get an email from https://www.pcdisposals.com offering 2nd user hardware. Just thought I'd post the details in case anyone's looking for a cheap web surfing pc..

COMPAQ EVO D5S CELERON 1.3Ghz/ 128Mb – 256Mb/ NO HDD/ CD ROM/ FLOPPY DRIVE/ NETWORK CARD/ XP PRO C.O.A STICKER £75 each

COMPAQ EVO D5S PENTIUM 4 1.6Ghz/ 256Mb/ NO HDD/ CD ROM/ FLOPPY DRIVE/ NETWORK CARD/ XP PRO C.O.A STICKER £85 each

Compaq EN SFF PENTIUM III 1Ghz/ 128Mb – 256Mb/ NO HDD/ CD ROM/ FLOPPY DRIVE/ NETWORK CARD PRICE: £28 each

These are just base units without hard disk, monitor, keyboard or mouse.

Prices exclude VAT I think.

If you add the VAT and plus say £60 for a decent size HARDISK, I dont think its really that good a deal.
  • other
    other Posts: 307 Forumite
    Options
    since there is no hard drive, then will there be windows?
  • pealy
    Options
    other wrote:
    since there is no hard drive, then will there be windows?

I wouldn't expect there to be any disks/drivers/software included, you'd need to install it all yourself.

The presence of a windows c.o.a sticker is interesting, someone who knows about licensing may be able to clarify whether the windows license remains with the pc (allowing the use of backup disks to install) or whether this is a red herring.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The way i understand licensing is that the person who buys the licence is allowed to install it on 1 PC. If the PC is 'scrapped' then you can legitimately install it on a new HD.

I
  • pealy
    Options
    Reading some of the other threads regarding windows licensing, it looks to me very much like the c.o.a sticker with the serial number will let you get an activation code from microsoft. If that's the case then they're looking like a bargain! XP Pro on its own is surely more than £75

eg. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=202544
  • keithwjones
    keithwjones Posts: 174 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pealy wrote:
    Reading some of the other threads regarding windows licensing, it looks to me very much like the c.o.a sticker with the serial number will let you get an activation code from microsoft. If that's the case then they're looking like a bargain! XP Pro on its own is surely more than £75

eg. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=202544

I doubt that you are buying a legal copy of XP. Ask the seller.

A better bet in my view is a £300 Dell including screen etc and that includes XP.

If you can not afford £300 then scan your local papers for people selling old equipment but make sure that it is a licensed copy of XP

Keith
  • sp41700
    sp41700 Posts: 110 Forumite
    Options
    charles_w wrote:
    The way i understand licensing is that the person who buys the licence is allowed to install it on 1 PC. If the PC is 'scrapped' then you can legitimately install it on a new HD.

I

depends on the type. oem operating system licences live and die with the pc and are NOT transferable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure