Dodgy transactions on Bank Statement - help please

Options
I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

This week I got my bank statement and noticed two transactions for a company called echst.net. Both were US2.99 but one was a debit and one a credit (unfortunately the exchange rate means they don't exactly cancel each other out, so my account is out of pocket by 9p). Spoke to my bank who said it looked like the company had got my account mixed up with anther and put it right. The person I spoke to, said he didn't think it was fraud. I wasn't so sure !!!

Anyway, this morning, the last sheet for the current bank statment arrives and there is a debit to a company called paysincomm.com (abroad again, but this time cyprus). Rang the bank and said I know nothing about this, this is not something I have authorised etc. It turns out that they also claimed from me last month, but I'd overlooked it (had far too much hassle in life then). These amounts are for around the £19-£20 mark (depending again on exchange rate)

The bank are disputing these for me and sending me form to fill in and sign (to say I dispute them).

They (bank) said it wouldn't make any differnce if I was to cancel my debit card and ask for a new one as the charges would probabaly still come through. But looking at the details of the transaction on the statement, it shows the last 4 digits of my current debit card on the statement

My questions please:
1. anyone heard of either of these companies ?
2. Am I right to be suspicious about the one that was reversed ?
3. Should I get my debit card cancelled and a new one sent out ?

I'm absolutely terrified of being scammed etc. I hear of so many horror stories nowadays so I take all the precautions that I can with all of my cards etc. My (then) debit card and paper driving licence were stolen about 18 months ago, along with about 4 other peoples in my office (police were involved but nothing came of it), so I have a marker on my account to prevent anyone using my debit card to make a withdrawal without id (I take my passport into my bank each time) ... but that wouldn't stop internet transactions would it.

Can anyone advise me please. I'm sorry if this is not the right forum, but if I could be pointed in the right direction, I'd gladly repost this
Debts (incl Mortgage) at LBM (24/09/08) £102849 :eek: Now £0. DFD 1st July 2019

Comments

• Little_Miss_Uni-Debt
    Options
    Hello!

Good on you for spotting these transactions! My housemate had a similar thing happen to her not so long ago. One small transaction per month starting off with a small amount going out, and then back in again in a foreign currency, then the following month a larger amount and so-on.

It took her 3 months to notice.

She disputed the transactions, got the money back and it was confirmed that it was a case of some kind of automated transaction. I guess they try to take small amounts and put them back unnoticed and keep trying and trying until a huge amount is taken. I'm not sure what currency hers was taken in but it was what made her sure the transactions weren't hers as they stuck out as odd.

They stopped after she disputed the transactions and stopped online banking.

Have all the transactions that have gone out gone back in again?

It might be a case of phishing. Do you use online banking at all? If you do it would be advisable to change any passwords and pin numbers as a start and maybe do a virus scan of any computers that you use for online banking.

Also shred any paperwork that you throw out - if you don't already. There have been cases of peoples details and post turning up in landfil sites in other countries where people can simply take their pick of personal details or whatever!

Fortunately now we are protected against losing out on money from such frauds but it is just a pain and quite scary really!

I hope you get it sorted quickly! It makes you realise how easy it can happen!!!! Good luck, let us know the outcome!
  • Little_Miss_Uni-Debt
    Options
    It appears that echst.net is what appears on a statement when someone has subscribed or used a website called ezcamhost which is a live webcam site for well....the obvious!!!

The site claims to require credit/debit card details as proof of being over 18. The company then 'ringfence' or reserve a small amount of currency (in this case in U.S dollars) to test the card is real. Then a few days later the money goes back on the card.

I would say be wary of any telephone transactions where you have used your card. Anyone with you debit card number, expiry date and 3 digit security code would be able to use your details.

Hope this helps.
  • Little_Miss_Uni-Debt
    Options
    I have read a few reviews of people saying that if they contact the company directly (EzCamHost)to see what the have supposedly subsribed to the company require the e-mail address you registered with (which could be anything!) or a social security number (U.S only obviously!)

As for the other transactions PaySinComm.com. It's either a company called Singapore Communications or Sin Comm which is a web marketing company. Either way, I'm sure these are nothing you have subscribed to as I'm sure you'd remember.
  • MargB
    MargB Posts: 111 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud! PPI Party Pooper Uniform Washer
    Options
    Thank you soo much for the thoughts and advice.

I didn't get much sleep last night as I was worrying myslef sick about it.

I don't use on-line banking at all. Much prefer to go inot my local branch, where they know me and speak to a real person. I'm lucky in that my local branch is superb in service and help, which is more than I can say for all the other branches of this bank I've used in the past !!! And I never buy stuff over the internet with my debit card etc, so I have no idea how my debit card details/account details were gained.

I do have a PC, and I keep up to date on the virus checker/firewall software.....cant be too careful nowadays

The small amount to the US 'that sort of' site was put back a week later. However the two payments to the SIngapore company haven't.

I should be geting the form from the bank in the next day or so to complete. I'll also send a covering letter stating that not only are the two singapore transaciton fraudulent (as I have not made them) but so is the one to the US site. SHould it happen again, then I've got a written paper trail.

Its a flippin nuisance to say the least. I know it won't only have happened to me. My best mate had her credit card cloned a month ago .... and she keeps it under lock and key, so again trying to trace the source of the cloning is difficult
    Debts (incl Mortgage) at LBM (24/09/08) £102849 :eek: Now £0. DFD 1st July 2019
  • incesticde
    Options
    MargB wrote: »
    Thank you soo much for the thoughts and advice.

I didn't get much sleep last night as I was worrying myslef sick about it.

I don't use on-line banking at all. Much prefer to go inot my local branch, where they know me and speak to a real person. I'm lucky in that my local branch is superb in service and help, which is more than I can say for all the other branches of this bank I've used in the past !!! And I never buy stuff over the internet with my debit card etc, so I have no idea how my debit card details/account details were gained.

I do have a PC, and I keep up to date on the virus checker/firewall software.....cant be too careful nowadays

The small amount to the US 'that sort of' site was put back a week later. However the two payments to the SIngapore company haven't.

I should be geting the form from the bank in the next day or so to complete. I'll also send a covering letter stating that not only are the two singapore transaciton fraudulent (as I have not made them) but so is the one to the US site. SHould it happen again, then I've got a written paper trail.

Its a flippin nuisance to say the least. I know it won't only have happened to me. My best mate had her credit card cloned a month ago .... and she keeps it under lock and key, so again trying to trace the source of the cloning is difficult

Cancel your card.. your number is out in the wild now.. people share credit card numbers
    "I don't want to sound cold and un-caring, but I am those things so that's the way it comes out" - Bill Hicks
  • Katy83
    Katy83 Posts: 531 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi,

Sorry to hear you have had this happen - same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. $10 to an email server company in America. I posted on the techie forum on here and asked my bank for some advice.

I was really worried about them doing anything else with my details, so I did the following. It might seem a bit extreme for what was just £6.50 but I thought that preventing any further problems was probably worth it for my peace of mind.
    • Cancel your bank card and get the bank to send you a new one
    • Change your online banking, email, ebay etc. passwords
    • Contact CIFAS and get them to put a protective note on your credit file (costs £13.80 for a year) so anyone looking to run a credit check on you sees you have been a victim of fraud.
    • Sign up for a free months trial on your credit report on experian to see whether there are any anomolies on there.
    That's what I have done, probably some of it is unecessary but I thought it was worth it. Couldn't even begin to think about someone doing fully fledged identity fraud.

Hope you manage to sort it xx
    LBM 17th August 2009 Debt at LBM £18,612 Proud to be dealing with my debts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure