Theatre Support Worker...

Options
aj2703
aj2703 Posts: 876 Forumite
edited 30 August 2009 at 8:40PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
Hi.

I have an interview this coming week for an Operating Theatre Support Worker's role. Has anyone who frequents this site done this job..?, or is currently doing it now could give me some advice as what to expect please...

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Theatre as in operating or as in entertainment?
  • aj2703
    Options
    Apologies it's an Operating Theatre:D
  • callow
    callow Posts: 209 Forumite
    Options
    I work as a nurse in the Operating Theatre. The role of a support worker can vary between hospitals, but I will explain what the support workers (nursing assistants or healthcare assistants) do in the one I work in.

They are generally assigned to one theatre speciality eg general or orthopeadics. Their role is similar to that of a nurse but they don't scrub up and assist the surgeon. In the morning they would help check equipment in the theatre then help the nurses and ODPs (operating department practioners) to set up the theatre for the morning's cases. This involves getting the instument sets and special equipment ready. Next they help set up for the first case. The instrument sets are opened up in a sterile manner ready for the scrub nurse or ODP. Then the extra bits of sterile equipment are added. You may be needed to help count the swabs and instruments. The patient is put to sleep in the anaesthetic room and when they come into the theatre all staff help put the patient on the table. The scrub nurse and surgeon drape the patient and the operation begins. You will need to help in adding bits of equipment during the operation. At the end you help get the patient off the table and then help with tidying up ready for the next case.

It does sound a lot to learn and you will be given extensive training, even nurses need extensive training. A lot of the job is knowing where different types of supplies and equipment are kept and you will only know this from experience.

A number of theatre support workers go onto train as ODPs ( 2 years training) or nurses ( 3 year training) but some are just happy in own role.
  • aj2703
    Options
    Many thanks Callow, as far as the interview questions go, do you know what maybe asked...?
  • aj2703
    Options
    Well had my interview today, all seemed to go fairly well. Now just the dreaded wait to see if i have the job.
  • aj2703
    Options
    Got the phonecall.. Sorry Mr H this time you have been unsuccessful la de da etc etc etc....
  • callow
    callow Posts: 209 Forumite
    Options
    I am sorry you didn't get the job. I only work in my place on a temporary basis. I know that the last 2 people to get support worker jobs in the theatre had previous experience of some kind. One has lots of experience with St Johns Ambulance or something similar, the other worked for the hospital in the unit that clean and sterilises surgical instruments.

You did well to get an interview and it must mean you have plenty of the qualities they are looking for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure