Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gingin
    • By gingin 25th Apr 06, 6:04 PM
    • 2,887Posts
    • 8,948Thanks
    gingin
    What to do with a whole crab?
    • 25th Apr 06, 6:04 PM
    What to do with a whole crab? 25th Apr 06 at 6:04 PM
    I've very kindly been given a whole ( undressed) crab. It's a bit of a monster and I have no idea what to do with it :confused: I would like to try and make the most of it as it is no normally something I would buy and so is a bit of a treat to have been given it. Does anybody have any good ideas please?
Page 1
    • neets
    • By neets 25th Apr 06, 6:13 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    neets
    • 25th Apr 06, 6:13 PM
    • 25th Apr 06, 6:13 PM
    Fresh crab on its own is lovely, enjoy it when you find out what to do with it!
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 25th Apr 06, 6:15 PM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    • 25th Apr 06, 6:15 PM
    • 25th Apr 06, 6:15 PM
    There are no recipes for crab in the mega index, however Google has the following ideas
    Crab recipes

Edit:

Have just found THIS, which might help!!
  • purpleimp
    • 25th Apr 06, 6:19 PM
    • 25th Apr 06, 6:19 PM
    well it depends on how you like your crabs really, be careful about freshness it's like lobster you should cook them live really, anyway you can empty it out get rid of the dead mans fingers and bin them, empty the claws, legs, all of the homeycomb inside the body(it's a h3ll of a job but well worth it), mash together the brown meat with all of the white, add some chopped onion, lots of salt and pepper and a beaten egg make into large thin pancakes cover in breadcrumbs/flour and fry up, really tasty,

Alternatively, take all the white meat as before, seperate the brown meat (lots of it if you're lucky!) mash up the brown meat with some mayo and mustard and keep to one side, fill the bottom of a bowl with a really simple salad, lettuce,cut cherry tomatoes, and mandarins( yes mandarins, they make for the best prawn coctails ever, which IMHO are only worth having with proper freshly caught tails) pile on the white meat, you can fork a LITTLE mayo through it if you like, add a dollop of the brown meat on top and serve with melba toast.

I'm gagging for some crab now!HTH

Love

Imp
  • kittiwoz
    • 26th Apr 06, 1:01 AM
    • 26th Apr 06, 1:01 AM
    Mmmm. I want an open crab mayo sandwich on thin brown bread thickly spread with salted butter. Lush.
  • bargainqueen
    • 26th Apr 06, 1:06 AM
    • 26th Apr 06, 1:06 AM
    We catch crabs all the time and I have found hem to be beautiful. I sautee some onions in a pan, scoop all the crabmeat (brown and white) out of the crab, add it to the pan with some pepper, lemon juice and salt and gently heat up. Boil some pasta seperately and mix it all together. Yum!
    Three years, six months, three weeks, 13 hours, 48 minutes and 30 seconds. 26011 cigarettes not smoked, saving $11,704.80. Life saved: 12 weeks, 6 days, 7 hours, 35 minutes.
    • gingin
    • By gingin 26th Apr 06, 6:00 AM
    • 2,887 Posts
    • 8,948 Thanks
    gingin
    • 26th Apr 06, 6:00 AM
    • 26th Apr 06, 6:00 AM
    Thanks very much. I think I will go with turning part into crab cakes and the rest into a yummy starter .
  • HappyIdiotTalk
    • 22nd Nov 06, 6:58 PM
    Lidl Frozen Whole Cooked Crab... Scary!
    • 22nd Nov 06, 6:58 PM
    I was in Lidl (for the first time - but not the last by a long shot) the weekend and saw an ad showing a variety of special offer type foods. One of the them was a whole frozen irish crab for 2.99. Normally I'd think 'I bet thats nice' and move on. But this time I thought 'I bet thats nice, I'll get one and then ask my fellow MSE'ers for some elbow support in the kitchen'.

So folks, any idea what I do with it? I really love seafood but am a little scared of actually cooking it myself... especially something a bit wacky like a whole crab!

TIA
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 22nd Nov 06, 7:59 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 22nd Nov 06, 7:59 PM
    • 22nd Nov 06, 7:59 PM
    Hi HappyIdiotTalk,

I can't really help because I've only used tinned crab in recipes. I love crab and I've often eyed them up in the market, but passed because I haven't got a clue what to do with them.

These links might help you out:

What to do with a whole crab?

Preparing a crab

Crab recipes

Depending on how you get on I might be brave and buy one next time.

Pink
    • whatatwit
    • By whatatwit 22nd Nov 06, 8:21 PM
    • 5,387 Posts
    • 15,339 Thanks
    whatatwit
    Haven't looked at the links, but what about some crab-cakes.

I'll have to visit Lidl to have a look, I love crab.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • Maxjessdru
    I bought one last week and used it! Bought another two this week. I searched bbc online for crab and found instructions on how to "get into it!" Basically involves pulling legs off, turning over, removing various bits and breaking into the shell. I would recommend you look this up as not very easy to explain! I also found a recipe from BBC online for Crab and Lobster linguine which uses tinned lobster bisque to make up the sauce. Very nice indeed!
  • HappyIdiotTalk
    I bought one last week and used it! Bought another two this week. I searched bbc online for crab and found instructions on how to "get into it!" Basically involves pulling legs off, turning over, removing various bits and breaking into the shell. I would recommend you look this up as not very easy to explain! I also found a recipe from BBC online for Crab and Lobster linguine which uses tinned lobster bisque to make up the sauce. Very nice indeed!
    by Maxjessdru
    Superb! I'm defintely going to hunt down the crab and lobster linguine recipe. I love crab, I think I'd love lobster (never tried it) and I never get tired of eating pasta so this one sounds ideal to me. Cheers!
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
    • Mr Proctalgia
    • By Mr Proctalgia 22nd Nov 06, 11:18 PM
    • 961 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    Mr Proctalgia
    I to am interested in the answers to this thread but as a word of caution my local LIDL is selling two types of Crab, the aforementioned precooked Irish Crabs and also Raw frozen Velvet crabs, they look rather small and erm....different so do check what you are buying. I do know how to break into the things but have no idea which bits are edible, some childhood memory about "Dead mans fingers" come to mind.
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
  • HappyIdiotTalk
    I to am interested in the answers to this thread but as a word of caution my local LIDL is selling two types of Crab, the aforementioned precooked Irish Crabs and also Raw frozen Velvet crabs, they look rather small and erm....different so do check what you are buying. I do know how to break into the things but have no idea which bits are edible, some childhood memory about "Dead mans fingers" come to mind.
    by Mr Proctalgia
    Yeah they had the velvet ones at mine too. But I opted for the big one as it looked like less painstaking work!
  • mirakl
    bought the velvet ones. BIG MISTAKE! Teeny tiny, impossible to get the meat off, we ended up thorwing half of them out in frustration.

Dead mans fingers are really obvious, they're feathery fingers that go accross the crab when you break inside it. They're not poisonious but they taste terrible. I have had it likened to me "imagine trying to eat feathers".
    My Doctor told me that "1 out of 3 people who start smoking will eventually die." The other two apparently became immortal.

eBay 00-00
    Amazon 00-00

Grand Total 99-41
  • malamala
    Wish I could go to Lidl to get some as I love crabs.

I'd even try velvet crab.

It's strange that UK is an island but we don't get much varieties in seafood, it's always the same old same old. Many fresh seafood are exported instead.
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 23rd Nov 06, 11:19 AM
    • 14,995 Posts
    • 23,049 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    MMMMM crab!

I remember many years ago going out before dawn with a friend and her grandad on the norwegian fjords to check the crab pots. Then rowing back and handing over our haul to her mum who threw them still alive into a BIG pot of boiling water... Then it was nutcracker and dessert fork time!
    If you can then Costco do bags of crab claws which is great fun and taste lovelly (must have plenty of nutcrackers).

As for preparing them otherwise... After cooking them remove legs and claws, "pop" off the belly shield (I'm sure there is a funky technical terms for this) and scoop out the stomach and gills. Once it's open I find it pretty obvioius which bits were it's "innards" and I just throw them. Then you have the brown meat. You can scoop this out and then you just pick a recipe

I once took all the meat (white and brown) and mashed it with a fork, some cream and some gruiliere (or how ever you spell that) and forked it back in the cleaned shell. Stick in the oven for a bit with some grated cheese on top and finely chopped parsley.
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's!

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 25th Nov 06, 8:19 PM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    Nice to find this thread, I bought a brown crab in Lidl today and then thought "what the heck do I do with it now???"

Currently it's defrosting in the kitchen so I will trot off and read BBC food for some inspiration
    • JonBiel
    • By JonBiel 2nd Dec 09, 9:23 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JonBiel
    crab bisque
    Just copied Talywern's answer to a similar question
    theanswerbank.co.uk/Food-and-Drink/Recipes/Question376257.html
    there are some other links there too.

velvet crabs can be made into a delicious crab bisque. Most caught off the coast of Ireland end up in Europe. You can get them frozen in Lidl. This is what i do.
    1 Defrost the crabs
    2 open them get out the grey dead mens fingers like you do with the big boys
    3 smash them up and put them in a saucepan
    4 add 2 chopped carrots , 2 chopped sticks of celery, 1 lge chopped onion, 2 smashes garlic cloves, handful of parsley, a few turns of ground pepper
    5 a large glass dry white wine add to pot
    6 a tin of tomatoes and 2 tbspns of tom puree
    7 pour on 75cc of water and a good slug of knorr touch of taste fish stock concentrate 9I find this the best to use
    8 you can add an anchovy or two or a dollop of anchovy essence.
    9 bring the pot to the boil, then simmer for an hour gently
    10 pound the contents in the pot or put into a liquidizer if its a strong one
    11 strain, reheat, taste reduce to concentrate the flavour if you need
    12 serve with swirls of cream and good crusty bread

you could add brandy at the reheat stage if you want to but its not necessary
    Enjoy!!!!!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 2nd Dec 09, 9:41 PM
    • 66,485 Posts
    • 390,687 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    My favourite way to eat crab is to crack open those legs and eat the crab meat straight out of the leg casing. mmmm ... not done that for about 30 years.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,550Posts Today

7,591Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter Poll: Being honest, do you take into account the environment impact when you choose to book a flight?

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Do you need to show your boarding pass at the airport? And how to make 'em pay you for doing it... https://t.co/g5biFxotXF

• Follow Martin