PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What to do with a whole crab?

I've very kindly been given a whole ( undressed) crab. It's a bit of a monster and I have no idea what to do with it :confused: I would like to try and make the most of it as it is no normally something I would buy and so is a bit of a treat to have been given it. Does anybody have any good ideas please?

Comments

• neets
    neets Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Fresh crab on its own is lovely, enjoy it when you find out what to do with it! :)
  • arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    There are no recipes for crab in the mega index, however Google has the following ideas
    Crab recipes

Edit:

Have just found THIS, which might help!!
  • purpleimp
    purpleimp Posts: 189 Forumite
    well it depends on how you like your crabs really, be careful about freshness it's like lobster you should cook them live really, anyway you can empty it out get rid of the dead mans fingers and bin them, empty the claws, legs, all of the homeycomb inside the body(it's a h3ll of a job but well worth it), mash together the brown meat with all of the white, add some chopped onion, lots of salt and pepper and a beaten egg make into large thin pancakes cover in breadcrumbs/flour and fry up, really tasty,

Alternatively, take all the white meat as before, seperate the brown meat (lots of it if you're lucky!) mash up the brown meat with some mayo and mustard and keep to one side, fill the bottom of a bowl with a really simple salad, lettuce,cut cherry tomatoes, and mandarins( yes mandarins, they make for the best prawn coctails ever, which IMHO are only worth having with proper freshly caught tails) pile on the white meat, you can fork a LITTLE mayo through it if you like, add a dollop of the brown meat on top and serve with melba toast.

I'm gagging for some crab now!HTH

Love

Imp
  • kittiwoz
    kittiwoz Posts: 1,321 Forumite
    Mmmm. I want an open crab mayo sandwich on thin brown bread thickly spread with salted butter. Lush.
  • We catch crabs all the time and I have found hem to be beautiful. I sautee some onions in a pan, scoop all the crabmeat (brown and white) out of the crab, add it to the pan with some pepper, lemon juice and salt and gently heat up. Boil some pasta seperately and mix it all together. Yum!
    Three years, six months, three weeks, 13 hours, 48 minutes and 30 seconds. 26011 cigarettes not smoked, saving $11,704.80. Life saved: 12 weeks, 6 days, 7 hours, 35 minutes.
  • gingin_2
    gingin_2 Posts: 2,992 Forumite
    Thanks very much. I think I will go with turning part into crab cakes and the rest into a yummy starter :drool:.
  • I was in Lidl (for the first time - but not the last by a long shot) the weekend and saw an ad showing a variety of special offer type foods. One of the them was a whole frozen irish crab for £2.99. Normally I'd think 'I bet thats nice' and move on. But this time I thought 'I bet thats nice, I'll get one and then ask my fellow MSE'ers for some elbow support in the kitchen'.

So folks, any idea what I do with it? I really love seafood but am a little scared of actually cooking it myself... especially something a bit wacky like a whole crab!

TIA
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi HappyIdiotTalk,

I can't really help because I've only used tinned crab in recipes. I love crab and I've often eyed them up in the market, but passed because I haven't got a clue what to do with them.

These links might help you out:

What to do with a whole crab?

Preparing a crab

Crab recipes

Depending on how you get on I might be brave and buy one next time. :)

Pink
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Haven't looked at the links, but what about some crab-cakes.

I'll have to visit Lidl to have a look, I love crab.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • I bought one last week and used it! Bought another two this week. I searched bbc online for crab and found instructions on how to "get into it!" Basically involves pulling legs off, turning over, removing various bits and breaking into the shell. I would recommend you look this up as not very easy to explain! I also found a recipe from BBC online for Crab and Lobster linguine which uses tinned lobster bisque to make up the sauce. Very nice indeed!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure