PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Difference between Gammon and Ham???

Options
I have been wondering about this - Whats the difference? :confused:

Is it the cut, or the method of preservation or what, usually I lurk around Morrisons butchers counter and try to snaffle some gammon joints when they are reduced but the other week I was in Sainsburys and they had what appeared to be really nice looking joints going for a quid so I bought two and did my usual thing of boiling them chilling and slicing, but they fell apart and were tasteless (They were in fact - reconstituted) :mad: So if any of you experts could help me I would be grateful as I'm missing me "Ham Butties" now!
The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...

Comments

• maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    gammon is a ham joint that hasn't been cooked
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Wickedkitten
    Wickedkitten Posts: 1,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    gammon is actually cured or smoked ham.
    It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.
  • Mr_Proctalgia
    Options
    Now I'm really confused because I think that any bits of pig that are not raw I.E. Pork are cured anyway. By this I mean treated essentially with Salt Petre and other flavourings. So is Gammon double cured ham or what? All pork that is cured is pink - right? ? So Gammon is cured (and obviously Ham too) But what is the difference in reality?.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Found this for you Mr Proctalgia. I read it a couple of times and I'm still not sure what the answer is. :confused:
  • Mr_Proctalgia
    Options
    Thanks PW - I too was Googling around for an answer but it seems that there isn't one, its all pigs legs and smoke out there, I may try the Gammon in Coke recipe - It sounds facinating.

Thanks for your efforts
  • apple_mint
    apple_mint Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I bought a piece of gammon at the farmers market yesterday. Popped it into the slow cooker in about an inch of water. Smothered it in some honey and cooked for 6 hours on medium (Morphy Richard's 6.6 ltr slow cooker). It was gorgeous and having had some for dinner it will also do us several more meals.
    Enjoying an MSE OS life :D
  • point3
    point3 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks PW - I too was Googling around for an answer but it seems that there isn't one, its all pigs legs and smoke out there, I may try the Gammon in Coke recipe - It sounds facinating.

Do try the gammon in coca-cola - it gives the ham a lovely sweet 'honey' type glaze.

Back to your question...

Ham refers to the thigh cut of pork - this term would apply whether it had been cured or not. In general use however we only refer to the cured meat as ham.

Gammon refers specifically to a cured ham cut.

Flambé me if I'm wrong :p
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Isn't the main difference that gammon is raw and ham is cooked? They are both cured,and made from the leg of the pig.
  • TOBRUK
    TOBRUK Posts: 2,343 Forumite
    Options
    I may try the Gammon in Coke recipe - It sounds facinating.
    It is lovely - I often make it - boil it in coke, then cut the skin, leaving some fat and score cross ways, press in a few cloves, then rub in honey, dry mustard and demerara sugar put in oven for about 20 mins - georgious.
  • janiebaby29
    janiebaby29 Posts: 1,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I want to do jamie olivers jerk ham , but am confused about the joints :D
    The original janiebaby ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income