PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quail eggs, Are they a delicacy?

Options
I hatched some quail eggs for my aviary and I got one female which is laying a lot of eggs.

Does anyone know if theres a market for these eggs, I'm sure they used to be a delcacy.
Any suggestions appreciated

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello chaos5678

I think the expert contributors in the 'Old Style' board will help you, so I'll move your thread across.

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [email="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/email].

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Hi chaos - some shops sell quails eggs (I know Sainsbury's do) and I've even bought pickled quails eggs from a farm shop :):)

You can find a couple (literally!) of recipes BBC Food Quails Eggs

Enjoy your eggs and pickle the one's you wanted to store for eating another time :D:D

HTH
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • AnniMag
    AnniMag Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We used to keep Quail too but even with a couple of dozen eggs a week we didn't find an outlet for them .They do not taste any different to hens eggs .They are much smaller though ,which is why people buy them.One recipe I saw called for 6 eggs each and suggested that it would be a good idea to let your guests peel their own eggs!
  • Queenie
    Options
    Noticed today, our (small) local butcher is selling them too now.
  • chaos5678
    chaos5678 Posts: 184 Forumite
    Options
    Queenie wrote:
    Hi chaos - some shops sell quails eggs (I know Sainsbury's do) and I've even bought pickled quails eggs from a farm shop :):)

You can find a couple (literally!) of recipes BBC Food Quails Eggs

Enjoy your eggs and pickle the one's you wanted to store for eating another time :D:D

HTH

Thanks for that, I know this is a silly question, but do you just put them in vinegar?
  • RacyRed
    RacyRed Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This recipe for poached quail egg salad fron St Delia is realy easy and tastes fantastic, a favorite treat.
    My first reply was witty and intellectual but I lost it so you got this one instead :D
    Proud to be a chic shopper
    :cool:
  • chaos5678
    chaos5678 Posts: 184 Forumite
    Options
    RacyRed wrote:
    This recipe for poached quail egg salad fron St Delia is realy easy and tastes fantastic, a favorite treat.

Thanks for that, I'll be serving it up every day if I can't sell them LOL
  • Queenie
    Options
    chaos5678 wrote:
    Thanks for that, I know this is a silly question, but do you just put them in vinegar?

No such thing as a silly question! :)

Pickled Eggs

HTH :D:D
  • bugs
    bugs Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Chaos (if I can call you that!) - as far as I know it is quite difficult to get non-intensively farmed quail's eggs so you might be able to find a concerned local who would appreciate getting them from a known supplier like you. Depending on quantities you might just want to advertise them in a local food suppliers/deli's window on a card, or if you have enough see if one of your local box schemes has a news letter you can place an ad in. You probably won't be able to call them free range because of the laws on labelling but you will be able to make it clear to your customers how much care you take of your birds! Think laterally for an outlet of appropriate size...I have even seen free range eggs on sale in a homebrew shop!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure