Half of UK have no pension

Options

Comments

• seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    People like my son with a job that has less than full-time hours on minimum wage just can't afford to save for a pension. Neither will they get much from S2P if it is still around by the time he retires in 38 year's time.

I'm hoping one day my son will get a better paid job but at the moment we're just glad he has this one given problems he has had with employment in the past (due to a condition that he has).

However, he is 29 now, and has got used to living on fresh air, so he'll not perhaps fare as badly in retirement as someone on £25k a year.

But just to point out that some people can't afford to pay into a pension. We can't all be high wage earners.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,245 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is it worth investing in a pension right now, given that the the companies you give your money to to play with have flushed it down the plughole?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    People like my son with a job that has less than full-time hours on minimum wage just can't afford to save for a pension. Neither will they get much from S2P if it is still around by the time he retires in 38 year's time.

I'm hoping one day my son will get a better paid job but at the moment we're just glad he has this one given problems he has had with employment in the past (due to a condition that he has).

However, he is 29 now, and has got used to living on fresh air, so he'll not perhaps fare as badly in retirement as someone on £25k a year.

But just to point out that some people can't afford to pay into a pension. We can't all be high wage earners.

thats where the pension credit could come into play. Maybe link it to average earnings over your working life. HMRC have all that data. That way low earners benefit. Not middle to high earners who were too lazy.
    Is it worth investing in a pension right now, given that the the companies you give your money to to play with have flushed it down the plughole?

What companies have flushed it down the plughole?

Times like this when the investments have gone down (ignoring the 20% rise in recent months) are great news for long term investors paying in still. You are buying your investments back at 2005/2006 prices.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Pssst
    Pssst Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I know it sounds like financial suicide but why would anyone get involved in building up pension pots and buying annuities? They are such a rip off. Better to keep the money yourself?

My bet is the state will not let them starve.

I have my Final salary DB scheme so im not worried :)
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know it sounds like financial suicide but why would anyone get involved in building up pension pots and buying annuities? They are such a rip off. Better to keep the money yourself?

The fact that nothing else provides an income that can beat the pension is probably the main reason.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Harry_Powell
    Harry_Powell Posts: 2,089 Forumite
    Options
    A lot of young people starting out in the workplace are excluded from the final salary schemes that their parents received. Many of the large employers in industries such as mining, steel, ship building, postage, telecoms, etc have all gone or have fragmented into much smaller companies. These firms offer little or no pension contributions to their shop-floor employees. The likes of British Telecom, British Steel, British Leyland, etc are history.

If employers are not contributing to pensions schemes then the attraction is just not there, especially when you consider young people's main priorities are to buy a house and start a family. We can only do so much with our money and so difficult choices have to be made. We realise that this is short-sighted, and we know we should be putting money away for our old age, but what else can we do?
    "I can hear you whisperin', children, so I know you're down there. I can feel myself gettin' awful mad. I'm out of patience, children. I'm coming to find you now." - Harry Powell, Night of the Hunter, 1955.
  • zarazara
    zarazara Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    Options
    I have no pension. how on earth am I supposed to save for a pension when I am low waged? Its hard enough trying to put a bit away for if something breaks down like the washing machine, let alone put money away for the future.I will HAVE to rely on the stae pension no matter how little it is.
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness" :j
  • LucyTheDwarf
    LucyTheDwarf Posts: 880 Forumite
    edited 26 May 2009 at 11:07PM
    Options
    The news report really worried me... to have an income of around £10k a year, it said someone in their 20s would need to put away about £200 per month. I'm 22, I put in £75 a month, which is 5% of my income (I'm hoping my employers will one day decide to match this, but I'm not holding my breath on that one!).

I also save around 40-45% of my income - but this is mid rather than long term saving, as I'm sure I'll move out sooner or later (loving the cooked dinners too much at the moment) - though I'm confident I will always be a saver.

I don't think I could afford to pay in £200 a month, were I not to live at home still... And although I live on about £9k a year at the moment, £10k sounds incredibly low!!!
    Target Cash Net Worth: £25K by January 2012
    Progress
    May-08
    19.0%; May-09 40.0%; May-10 63.0%; May-11 58.4%; Jun-11 58.5%; Jul-11 58.9%; Aug-11 58.7%; Sep-11 59.0%
  • ray123
    ray123 Posts: 659 Forumite
    Options
    I contribute to my Ponzi, oops I mean pension scheme at work for two reasons:
    1) Tax relief.
    2) My employer contributes 5% to my 3%.

Perhaps employer contributions should be compulsory (like employer's NIC), which may increase the numbers participating in private pension schemes? Also, a level of fairness/equality needs to be introduced to the ponzi market, in order to restore confidence.

What I would like to know is - how many of the 50% saving for a pension are working for the Public sector, who seem to have very good schemes? I sure it is a fair proportion.
    Within the NHS, you pay 5% and they contribute 14% (if you earn around up to £20000)!
    http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Pensions/Documents/Pensions/2009-10_Tiered_contsGuidanceOfficers.v2.pdf
  • baby_boomer
    baby_boomer Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 May 2009 at 5:07AM
    Options
    This BBC report keeping quiet about the public/sector private sector divide even though that's the huge elephant in the room in this story.

Their reticence is not surprising since the BBC (i.e. the taxpayer/license fee payer/us ) runs a defined benefit scheme for BBC employees which only requires them to pay in 4% (and the rules put the maximum contribution that can be asked for at 6%). That's likely to require the equivalent of a 16% contribution from the BBC [license fee payer].

It's like printing money for BBC employees. And, of course, it influences the BBC's understanding of and output on the subject. If public sector workers have to pay more for their generous pensions in future, then BBC employees should do so with knobs on.

Typical of the BBC's "we don't live in the real world" approach is the following:

"Taking [a cash lump sum on retirement] does not affect the pension payable to your qualifying spouse, qualifying civil partner or dependants. It will still be calculated on your full pension, as though you had not chosen to exchange part of it for cash."
    The government is trying to mitigate the impact of a potential pension "time bomb", through the introduction of Personal Accounts, due to be rolled out in 2012.
    Personal Accounts will be a state-sponsored pension arrangement, in which employees will be automatically enrolled, contributing 4% of their salary. The employer will pay 3% and a further 1% will come from tax relief.
    Not enough to deal with the "pensions' time-bomb" but probably enough to deal with the government's own "retirement benefits time-bomb".

It should be fun :rolleyes: . It'll feel like a huge tax rise just as other tax rises and NI rises are having to be introduced in order to keep the IMF and the currency markets from our door.

Maybe if they'd brought it in in better times it might even have kept a partial lid on the housing boom. But they wanted to keep getting elected - for reasons we now know.

And the most likely unintended consequence is that other employees who currently help out will grade existing pensions down to the level "suggested" by the government as an alternative to a wage squeeze.

Further highlighting the public/private sector divide.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure