Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 20th Jul 04, 10:29 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    0 WOW
    The Great 'Cheap but Romantic Gifts' Hunt
    • 20th Jul 04, 10:29 PM
    0 WOW
    The Great 'Cheap but Romantic Gifts' Hunt 20th Jul 04 at 10:29 PM
    Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age, but i thought it was time to help out all those looking to get gifts for loved ones, but are a little short of cash. Let's make people smile.

Click reply to add you suggestions

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 14-11-2006 at 2:29 PM.
Page 1
  • aliasojo
    • 20th Jul 04, 10:43 PM
    Re: The Great 'Cheap but Romantic Gifts' Hunt
    • 20th Jul 04, 10:43 PM
    When my other half and I met, we were both divorced and both skint so we never had much money to play with in the early days.

My birthday was coming up and I made him promise not to buy me anything as we just didn't have any spare cash. When the day came, he gave me a large box which unwrapped to reveal a smaller box etc etc etc and in the end I found a tape he'd made of all the songs that meant something to us. Didn't cost anything but his time, and that's what made it meaningful.

(Alternatively, for those who think that's a bit soppy - a bar of chocolate always goes down well! ;D )
  • Agent_C
    • 21st Jul 04, 5:48 PM
    • 21st Jul 04, 5:48 PM
    For the past couple of Christmases I have bought a calendar making kit (www.aktivdirect.co.uk do one with two blank calendars and software for 15.99, and you can buy the blank calendars separately for 5.99) and made a calendar for my other half with pictures I'd taken throughout the year when we were on holiday/days out etc. I also did one for my parents with pictures of my nephew and the family when we were kids. These have always gone down really well... great for doting grandparents!

With my new digital camera bargain (50% off from Boots) and bargain Aldi PC, I can also make photo CDs and DVDs with soundtracks for friends and relatives, again much more personal than a shop bought present!

Plus for a work colleague who was leaving, I had a mouse mat made with a picture of all our team on so that she'd never forget us in her new job! It cost about 8. There are many high street stores and websites who offer this service (eg www.yourdesign.co.uk/) and you can also get mugs etc made as well.
  • Tania
    • 22nd Jul 04, 12:00 AM
    • 22nd Jul 04, 12:00 AM
    1.Have soak in bath with bargains from Boots (or free with Advantage Card). Make yourself smell lurvely.

2.Light a few candles and arrange around the room (for best effects do when night time) - Do not set fire to house, this is not romantic.

3.Slip into something comfortable (free from a Redoute code)?

4.Place a rug in the middle of room (preferably one bought for free from Redoute)

3.With bargains ordered from Tescos or Sainsburys with money off codes and free delivery, make a sexy picnic for 2.

4.Open the chilled Virgin champagne (3 bottles for 6 (ish))

5.Turn on the music - bargain music centre from Boots (26 instead of 99).

6.ENJOY YOUR EVENING IN TOGETHER. THE BEST GIFT OF ALL IS LOVE AND ITS FREE. YIPPEE.

Tania
    xxx

PS If you are on your own, there is a thread for something that buzzes and is free, so you can enjoy the evening by yourself. I'm sure someone knows and will enlighten you all. :
  • Tania
    • 22nd Jul 04, 12:29 AM
    • 22nd Jul 04, 12:29 AM
    Or, a SMILE

Wear nothing but a smile for your partner. FREE xxx

Tip - Don't try this outside, unless very adventurous, or may be expensive if fined for showing your parts :-[
  • cheap_sk8
    • 22nd Jul 04, 1:24 PM
    • 22nd Jul 04, 1:24 PM
    Order your loved one a cheapo box of carnations ... and get some free chocs thrown in, with free delivery from http://www.bunches.co.uk/

cos i am such a cheapskate
  • archived user
    • 22nd Jul 04, 3:55 PM
    • 22nd Jul 04, 3:55 PM
    Thats great - a present for my mum and a free box of strawberry creams thrown in
  • lellie
    • 22nd Jul 04, 6:35 PM
    • 22nd Jul 04, 6:35 PM
    make your own bathbombs.. cheap and great fun.. google for recipes.. there are hundreds of fab ones..

Mixtapes are also fantastic.. better still are cd compilations cos they store more songs and are better quality make a pretty cover for it.. although mixtapes take longer so are more romantic..
  • jase
    • 22nd Jul 04, 6:52 PM
    • 22nd Jul 04, 6:52 PM
    Kinda the same as aliasojo - for my wife (then girlfriend)'s 21st, I found out what all her favourite songs were by asking her parents and brother. I then burnt a 4 volume set to cd, and also found all the lyrics for all the songs and made a booklet with all the lyrics in. It took me a hell of a lot of time - didn't cost much and was very very much appreciated.

The other thing I used to do (not so much impact now that the advert has changed), was to buy a packet of Rolos and eat all except one, wrap it in the silver foil and give it to my wife (hence the advert - do you love anyone enough to give them your last rolo) - always went down a treat, and I got some choccies in the bargain (and what a good marketing ploy)

cheers
  • mrworld
    IDEA: Use the LA Redoute codes and get him/ her something.

"Mrworld doesnt run a giftshop but if he did it would probably be the best gift shop in the world"
    • KG
    • By KG 23rd Jul 04, 12:54 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    KG
    Hmm - call me suspicious, but methinks Martin may have a (very badly) hidden agenda here.

Recent discussions - 'cheapest and best internet dating', 'cheap places to take a date', and now 'cheap but romantic gift's...

I reckon the guru is in lurrrve.... Ahh, bless...

KG
  • archived user
    For my wife's 50th birthday I got lots of photos of her right from being a babe all the way up to date, scanned them, and presented them as a slide show on the PC. Accompanied with a couple of Andy Williams tracks this went down a real treat. :-*
    • Ally
    • By Ally 23rd Jul 04, 4:11 PM
    • 5,607 Posts
    • 2,442 Thanks
    Ally
    I ran out of Ideas for my partners 30th - i usually end up spending a ridiculous amount on gifts and this time i wanted to start new, the MSE way !;D

So, thought long and hard about him and what he would like, what would be perfect for him. !He needed a wallet, so i got one for him and filled it with pics of both our girls, and a few other things, which along with the wallet were not really cheap so won't mention them , however, one was a savings account (the card) which I put a little in to start him of on the rightuous path of the MSE ;D. !Finally, the hardest and cheapest was 30 lurve vouchers ;D Ok, it took 8 hours to make them !:(could have bought them but they would not have been personal then) It was fun thinking up of ideas to put on the vouchers - but his face was priceless when he found them in there - he couldn't believe I had made them up myself on the computer - he thought I had bought them!! !So, yes, they did look very very good and he said the best gift (apart from me and the babies ;D) that he had every been given ! !The 2nd hardest thing was obtaining his signiture for the savings acc and other things without him knowing what it was for! !
  • cathy
    My son was at uni and was totally skint for his girlfriends birthday

so he !bought an old brass key ! from a car boot sale for 10pence !old fashioned type !not a yale key

polished it up got their names engraved on the shaft for 80p

put it in a box amongst some tissue paper he found in a shirt packing that he hadnt opened

and stuck a little card on the front saying

"you now have the key to my heart"

and she was over the moon

;D ;D
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 6th Aug 04, 1:00 PM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    Cathy, that is soooooooo romantic! Do you have more than one son???!!!!! :
    Rx
  • cjarvis
    I am not sure if this qualifies but you could get a gift for the football fan in your life AND (they say) to get the option to win US$250,000 in diamonds, now is that romantic or what ?

I found this at
    http://www.3lionssport.com/id185.html

• halloweenqueen
    Go into Tesco at about 8pm and look at the flowers! I bought one of their finest range bouquets usually selling at 12.50 for 40p and a another 7.50 one for 40p, if I had gone in for them half and hour earlier I could have (wouldn't have!) paid full price.
    Volunteer to go and get a few bits from the shop, get all the reduced bargains and cap it with the flowers, don't forget to take off the big yellow reduced sticker!! :
  • RachelD
    Sometimes it's not the gift that matters but the wrapping. (OK, there are exceptions- a diamond or two would still be acceptable in the raw)
    For my best ever wrapping you need a roll of clear cellophane (I got mine from a flower market but it could be recycled from shirt wrap if the gift is small ) , any plain wrapping paper, and assorted petals from the garden. Put the gift in a box, wrap with plain wrap (we had run out of wrapping paper on the occasion I first did this and used some of a red paper tablecloth ). Sprinkle some petals on to the clear cellophane, set box on top and put lots of petals on top of box, wrap in cello- some petals will fall down the sides but that's a bonus.

Messy to open so choose location carefully.
  • damski
    1.Have soak in bath with bargains from Boots (or free with Advantage Card). Make yourself smell lurvely.

2.Light a few candles and arrange around the room (for best effects do when night time) - Do not set fire to house, this is not romantic.

3.Slip into something comfortable (free from a Redoute code)?

4.Place a rug in the middle of room (preferably one bought for free from Redoute)

3.With bargains ordered from Tescos or Sainsburys with money off codes and free delivery, make a sexy picnic for 2.

4.Open the chilled Virgin champagne (3 bottles for 6 (ish))

5.Turn on the music - bargain music centre from Boots (26 instead of 99).

6.ENJOY YOUR EVENING IN TOGETHER. !THE BEST GIFT OF ALL IS LOVE AND ITS FREE. !YIPPEE.

Tania
    xxx

PS If you are on your own, there is a thread for something that buzzes and is free, so you can enjoy the evening by yourself. I'm sure someone knows and will enlighten you all. :

great response

works everytime for me

• lyniced
    • By lyniced 16th Aug 04, 9:00 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    lyniced
    flowers from

www.flowersbypost.com

is always very cheap - I think prices start at 9 and thats including delivery.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,722Posts Today

10,009Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin