PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fifteen's Slice? Can anyone help?

Options
Hi all

I found a recipe for Fifteen's on the archives here, which I followed....but it didn't harden in the fridge, even after four hours, and was just a gooey mess. I can't find a recipe anywhere on the net...so was wondering if anyone here could tell me what I am doing wrong.

I just added all the ingredients with a tin of condensed milk like the recipe said. I thought maybe it should have butter, or melted chocolate in it to harden and bind it together.
Can anyone help?

Thanks
Life.
'A journey to be enjoyed...not a struggle to be endured.'

Bring it on! :j

Comments

• Churchmouse
    Churchmouse Posts: 3,004 Forumite
    Options
    Steph, I think you've hit the problem I had the first time I made them. The tin of condensed milk is too big. There used to be a smaller, about half-sized tin, but nowadays it only comes in the large size. Consequently your proportions have gone all wrongicon9.gif While it won't be quite right you can probably rescue the mix by working in extra ingredients. Don't worry about exact proportions, more biscuit crumbs is the most important factor. The mix should be quite stiff. Good luck:D
    You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
  • Steph998
    Steph998 Posts: 489 Forumite
    Options
    Ah. Thanks Churchmouse! It didn't seem too 'wet' when I made it, but I didn't see how it would harden and 'slice' like the OP said! I have made rocky road heaps of times, but always use melted butter and chocolate, and it works well. Also made mars Bar Krispies.....delish ...

Off to add more crushed digestives. Can't wait for the mess. Thanks.
    Life.

• HariboJunkie
    Options
    I think I may have been the OP of that post.:o

\If you point me in the direction of the post I will edit it to put an end to all your soggy fifteens. :p:D;)
  • Steph998
    Steph998 Posts: 489 Forumite
    Options
    I think it was Arkonite Babe actually! Here it is, click on Condensed Milk, (the first thread ) and it is half way down the page.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=91041&highlight=fifteens

If you can be ar*sed giving me your recipe I would be much obliged though...!!
    Life.

• HariboJunkie
    Options
    Steph998 wrote: »
    I think it was Arkonite Babe actually! Here it is, click on Condensed Milk, (the first thread ) and it is half way down the page.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=91041&highlight=fifteens

If you can be ar*sed giving me your recipe I would be much obliged though...!!

Phew. Churchie usually blames me for everything. :rolleyes: :p;)

My recipe is

15 digestives crushed
    15 glace cherries chopped
    15 marshmallows halved
    1 small tin of condensed milk

mix the above together then roll into a suasage and roll in dessicated coconut. Wrap in tinfoil and refridgerate until fairly solid, then cut into 3/4 inch slices. ;)
  • Churchmouse
    Options
    Phew. Churchie usually blames me for everything. :rolleyes: :p;)

My recipe is

15 digestives crushed
    15 glace cherries chopped
    15 marshmallows halved
    1 small tin of condensed milk

mix the above together then roll into a suasage and roll in dessicated coconut. Wrap in tinfoil and refridgerate until fairly solid, then cut into 3/4 inch slices. ;)

Well that's the last time I bite my tongue and don't blame you:p:D;) Actually I thought it would be your recipe, that was the one I originally used:p:p It was late at night and I PM'd Pink who put it right :rotfl:The secret is to mix the dry ingredients then add the condensed milk bit by bit until you have a really stiff mix, seeing as you can't buy the small tins any more:p:D
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well that's the last time I bite my tongue and don't blame you:p:D;) Actually I thought it would be your recipe, that was the one I originally used:p:p It was late at night and I PM'd Pink who put it right :rotfl:The secret is to mix the dry ingredients then add the condensed milk bit by bit until you have a really stiff mix, seeing as you can't buy the small tins any more:p:D

Thank you Churchie, for a moment I thought you were going to let her get away with it. :D I think this may be where Haribo mislead you. ;):D:p

Since they stopped selling the small tins I use roughly half a tin of condensed milk (200-250g) and stir it in until the mix is quite stiff.

Pink
  • Churchmouse
    Options
    Thanks Pink:T:T I'd never have found that:D And to think I was being so nice and not blaming her or anything:rotfl:
  • psso
    psso Posts: 1,210 Forumite
    Options
    Condensed milk comes in squeezy tubes now as well and they are about the same quantity as the small tins used to be I think, maybe just a spoonful or two over, so you could just - ahem - eat it !
    Fully paid up member of S.A.B.L.E.
    Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy :D

Charity knitting 2015
  • wendywitch
    wendywitch Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Options
    So doesn't this mean you HAVE TO make twice as many?! :confused::D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing