PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Polish style bread (the one with carraway in it)

Options
Has anyone a recipie please?
Thankyou

Catriona

Comments

• DitaBombita
    Options
    Sorry cant be of help but im looking for this too! My Boyfriends family are Polish and in a drunk christmas style promised to make them some! I know it involves rye flour and Asda didnt have any.... as far as I got. Last time we visited gave them some Blackberry Brandy which took their mind off the lack of bread. Hope someone posts us the awnser!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I grew up on that bread and have never found anywhere that sells some that tastes as good as it used to. I have come pretty close to making it though but cannot give a recipe because it was a handful of this and that but the secret is in sourdough. Look up sourdough, rye recipes on american sites. You can`t buy sourdough starters in stores but you can make your own starter if you have patience. There is a us site that sells the genuine starters
    http://www.sourdo.com/

When I used to buy the bread for my mum, 48 years ago, I remember asking for black bread

ooo I remember eating it in thin slices with warm red tomato slices on top, finished with black pepper

they also used fennel seeds or caraway (similar taste)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am making the above recipe and it will be ready to bake in an hour or so. I hope it is nice because I could do with a good sourdough rye recipe in my file
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure