PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Long Life Yogurt?

I used to buy pots of long life yogurt years ago because we loved the taste.......(they were not in the refrigerated section in the supermarket, but beside the UHT milk) but they were lovely; really thick and creamy and didn't have that UHT taste at all. . I can't remember the name of them now..RowanGlen or something? (I'm in Scotland!)

Anyway, OH often goes away working on a renovation project, and I always pack up a few days food for him. He takes pies and things to heat in a Remoska - but as there is no fridge yet (its a building site) I would like to be able to give him a few sweet treats without fear of them going off. He hates rice pudding, and is not keen on jelly.

I have looked high and low in all the supermarkets for long life yogurt, but cant
find it anywhere. Anyone seen it? The elusive, greater spotted long lifer?:p

Thanks
Life.
'A journey to be enjoyed...not a struggle to be endured.'

Bring it on! :j

Comments

• I too was looking for those recently for some overnight visits. I like muslie with yoghurt on for breakfast.

I looked high and low in Morrisons and Tesco's and all I could find was long life soya youghurt or those custard or rice pudding pots. I got the soya yoghurt in the end and it was edible but not particularly nice .
    Those long life youghurts were scrummy, probably full of sugar but lovely when I lived in the nurses home with no fridge !

I'd love to know if anybody finds a source. As I'm sure there will be more trips away next year and then it saves paying £8 for a motel breakfast!

Oystercatcher
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • Steph998
    Steph998 Posts: 489 Forumite
    OH says he remembers hearing something that they did in the ultra heat treating process was dodgy, so they stopped making them? Maybe in his imagination...but they certainly are not in Asda, Tesco, Morrisons or Sainsbury (we don't have Waitrose) However, ta da! I have found this in Aldi! They are the light version, so maybe not creamy? However, will give them a try.

http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/uk/html/product_range/2744_3894.htm
    Life.
    'A journey to be enjoyed...not a struggle to be endured.'

Bring it on! :j
  • Farmfoods still do them I got some the week b4 last hope this helps x
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Davgirl1
    Davgirl1 Posts: 257 Forumite
    I got some in Lidl a couple of months ago
  • we get alpro soya dessert in our house, not yogurty, more like ambrosa custard but very yummy (as it is known in the family). It comes in individual pots. its near custard in our supermarket they also do pots of ambrosia custard, rice pudding and jelly which don't need refrigerating in this isle.
  • I'm sure I looked in Lidl without success but will try again.
    Sadly we don't have an Aldi or Farmfoods :(

Alpro is what I tried it's OK but not the same as the stuff originally mentioned.

Thanks all

Oystercatcher
  • squiggles
    squiggles Posts: 1,635 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Bumping a very old thread in the hope someone can help me.

I used to buy a type of yoghurt about 10 years ago that didn't need to be stored in a fridge unless opened. I don't recall the brand but this dessert looked and tasted just like normal yoghurt with fruity bits in and tasted like premium quality pots.

I have had a quick search in my local shops and all I can find are the alpro type which I think are more like a custard dessert rather than a creamy yoghurt.

Can anyone help with my search please in finding these yoghurts that don't need a fridge.
  • oystercatcher
    oystercatcher Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I just noticed I posted on this thread in 2008 !

I haven't seen these in any of the major supermarkets but I found some accidentally recently when we were on holiday in a little Nisa village shop, I can't remember the name, Something Farm or similar but the small print said they were produced for Nisa . I thought they were regular yoghurts until we got them back to the cottage.

I hope someone comes up with another source as we don't have a local Nisa .
  • squiggles
    squiggles Posts: 1,635 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Apologies for dragging up an ancient post of yours oystercatcher.

I don't have a local nisa just to nip to but I will make a special trip to my closest one to see if I can find some.

Our fridge at work has conked out and awaiting a new one. I mentioned to a colleague about the non refrigerated yoghurts I used to buy and nobody has heard of them before. I bought the yoghurts from one of those cheapy freezer shops that sold job lots and factory rejects. These particular yoghurts were made by the same manufacturer/company who made the ones called thick and creamy which used to cost 6 for a £1, sounds grim but they didn't taste vile and they used to have a shelf life of around 6 months.

I've done an internet search and all I can find so far is a couple off pouch types if baby food.
  • hansha
    hansha Posts: 1 Newbie
    squiggles i think you might be talking about golden acre yogs they used to sell them in heron 6 for £1. they really were thick and creamy not like some iv had that have a weird after texture like they have rice flour in to thicken them or something. i haven't seen them in forever. I'm after some to take camping. I'm thinking discount shops like home bargains and b and ms might sell them?? i don't have any local to me so will have to do a special trip.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure